Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am feeding my lab science diet and not that they have to eat the same thing but it would make life easier as I am sure my 4 yr old will be feeding her new puppy, but I was wondering I have heard mixed reviews on costco food what are your thoughts...should I switch to costco food or feed them the dogs something differant? I still have 4 weeks until we bring Sadie home but I am such a planner that I would like know all this stuff in advance :)

TIA

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The science diet is pretty low quality, so if by costco, you mean kirkland, I think that would be a better alternative for your new pup. Many people feed kirkland on this site.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Kirkland is a quality food for the price...but not all stores carry the puppy formula.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I switched Nubis from Natures Domain Salmon and potatoe and vegetables, no grain to Kirkland puppy. I originally would have went with it, but the one Costco didn't have puppy.
He didn't process the salmon good enuf for me. Puppy is less crap, great coat and no more loose stools.
Years ago, I switched to Kirkland adult when I ran into bad times and couldn't afford higher price stuff.
For the price you can't beat it.
I am educating myself on raw and will switch eventually.
Sometimes the whole dog food makes me wonder, though. My grandmothers dog, lived on human food and bolagna and that sucker lived to 17.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Is there a particular reason you are feeding the lab science diet. I wouldnt feed it to my puppy. Ask the breeder what they are feeding. They should give you at least a week or two supply of food to do you till you can get some or to transition over to another brand. If Kirkland has a large breed puppy food that would be okay or possibly a Kirkland all life stages adult food. I always pretty well recommend Innova LB Puppy. I will get with you tomorrow on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I am talking about kirkland. I thought that if it was good quality food that you didn't have to feed puppy food? Should I just switch my lab to kirkland brand and feed the dobe blue buffalo (BB doesn't seem to agree with my lab or at least it didn't when she was a puppy) and then either switch her to kirkland or keep her on BB???

I feel so overwhelmed right now :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a particular reason you are feeding the lab science diet. I wouldnt feed it to my puppy. Ask the breeder what they are feeding. They should give you at least a week or two supply of food to do you till you can get some or to transition over to another brand. If Kirkland has a large breed puppy food that would be okay or possibly a Kirkland all life stages adult food. I always pretty well recommend Innova LB Puppy. I will get with you tomorrow on it.
We feed our lab science diet because I thought it was "really good dog food" so for almost 6 years I feel like I have been wasting my money :( But I know better now so when this bag of food is gone then we are switching her food too.
Our dobe's breeder feeds IAM puppy food right now and don't really feel like it's a quality dog food which is why I am looking to switch her and I know that it will need to be slow but it will be done.... unless of course I am wrong again and Iams really is an ok kibble to feed.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Apparently some breeders do feed Iams to puppies as it is eary on the stomach. I am not wild about Iams but I dont raise litters either. You could probably change her over to kirklands and feed it to both of them or you could leave the pup on Iams for a while. You are right, you can feed a puppy an adult food. It really should be an all life stages food, tho. It will say all life stages on the bag.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Read the ingredients on the back of the bag if it has corn, wheat, soy. usually not good for dogs.
If you buy a better quality food you usually do not have to feed as much it has denser calories not a bunch of fillers which is usually stuff on the floor to be thrown away.
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble is a good place to learn about dog food heck some people think Benful is a good food has the pretty pictures on the front of the bag, always read the ingredients that way you learn about dog food. Good Luck you just need to find a food that works for your dog remember anytime you change dog food s do it slowly over a few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
I believe Kirkland is all life stages. Kirkland Dog Food | Review and Rating

I switched my dogs to the Kirkland Chicken and Rice formula a couple of months ago. Previously, I'd been very, very adamant in feeding a grain free formula. However, I was convinced to try this and I've been extremely happy with the results. As a pup, Shanoa grew up on Orijen. We switched to Nature's Domain about a year ago when we got a Costco membership. I have not seen any difference from Orijen to now. Both of my dogs have good stools and shiny coats. If anything, Shanoa is more satisfied with her food because Kirkland is lower in calories than Orijen, so she gets a little more food. I've been really, really happy with this food.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
11 Posts
large breed or not?

Hi opinions , If feeding Chicken soup Brand, Do you feed large breed puppy or not?
also Blue buffalo so you feed large breed puppy?

i was told you do not need to ...just wanted to ask see what anyone else had to say?

thanks

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
If you are going to feed puppy food, you would feed large breed. If you are going to feed adult, you should feed an all life stages food. I have a site below where you can educate yourself on how to read and understand ingredient labels, and a couple that analyze and rate foods.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So here is what I was thinking.... switching the lab to the kirkland brand and put the pup on blue buffalo for at least the first year, and see how that goes. So do I buy puppy food, large breed puppy food, or all stages???

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
So here is what I was thinking.... switching the lab to the kirkland brand and put the pup on blue buffalo for at least the first year, and see how that goes. So do I buy puppy food, large breed puppy food, or all stages???
If you're going to do the Blue, I like their Wilderness grain free better than the regular stuff. The puppy formula would be fine, or you could do an adult formula and add the contents of a fish oil capsule or two or three.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Our dobe's breeder feeds IAM puppy food right now and don't really feel like it's a quality dog food which is why I am looking to switch her and I know that it will need to be slow but it will be done....
You don't need to take more than a few days to switch the pup... she hasn't even been alive and eating dog food long enough to get all accomodated to a specific food. If it was me, I would just switch her when she walked in the door...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts