Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to open a big can of worms here I know you all are sick of all my questions but I really am grateful for all of your time to answer me.
I was feeding Buddy Premium Edge adult dog food I was mixing the Chicken & rice with the Salmon and potato suppose to be for skin & coat. Tulsa has been very dry so figured it would be good for his coat. Premium Edge is a middle of the road priced food. First ingredient is chicken no by products or chicken meal same with the Salmon first ingredient is Salmon no by products or salmon meal.
Buddy's breeder was feeding Diamond with a small bag of the Salmon for coat added in she told me to feed adult food so Buddy would not have joint problems in the future.Well Buddy has loose stools not formed looks like a cow paddy round & flat(big) so e-mail Premium Edge about it received a reply from a Orthopedic Vet said I should feed a Large Breed Puppy food till he is a year old.?
I always try to feed a good quality food from the animal feed store not the grocery store since I'm on a fixed income disability was wondering what you all feed your Doberman Pups???
Thank you for any reply just would like a healthy pup would help if I could pick up his stools better though.
Patches Mom
The girls get Prairie dry dog food no problems wit their stools.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry to hear Buddy is having tummy problems.

Did this start happening all of a sudden? Because it could be something he ate other than his daily food.

Were there any changes made the diet? If so, that can also cause loose stool if not introduced gradually.

I know lots of people on this board who feed or have fed their dogs adult food from the begginning with no problems. I hope it helps, and I am sure more experienced members will help you out soon.

Good luck
Naveen

·
Registered
986 Posts
Patches Mom, just a couple thoughts...first, according to their ingredient list at their own site, Premium Edge does contain chicken meal, lamb meal, salmon meal, etc., but that's not a bad thing. Just wanted to clear that up or maybe I'm reading your post wrong. Next, the advice to 'feed large-breed puppy food for the first year' seems to be a standard line. Not that it's harmful but, in my personal experience, it is unnecessary as a healthy dobie pup can eat adult food from the get-go. Now as for Buddy, you didn't mention how long he has been having this problem. Overfeeding can also result in pudding poop. Could that be an issue at your house, Mom of a cute little puppy???? Also, one common way to firm up stools is to add a binder to his food (mashed bananas, rice or commonly, about 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin (plain, not the pie filling). Fresh pumpkin would be fine, too and I'll bet out in Tulsa you could get your hands on some pumpkin innards pretty easy this time of year. Adding pumpkin usually firms them up in a day or two, absent any other GI problem. And since you're feeding a rice formula kibble already, I'd try the pumpkin. Also, I think you are asking intelligent questions so don't hesitate to keep asking.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Patches Mom said:
Going to open a big can of worms here I know you all are sick of all my questions but I really am grateful for all of your time to answer me.
I was feeding Buddy Premium Edge adult dog food I was mixing the Chicken & rice with the Salmon and potato suppose to be for skin & coat. Tulsa has been very dry so figured it would be good for his coat. Premium Edge is a middle of the road priced food. First ingredient is chicken no by products or chicken meal same with the Salmon first ingredient is Salmon no by products or salmon meal.
Buddy's breeder was feeding Diamond with a small bag of the Salmon for coat added in she told me to feed adult food so Buddy would not have joint problems in the future.Well Buddy has loose stools not formed looks like a cow paddy round & flat(big) so e-mail Premium Edge about it received a reply from a Orthopedic Vet said I should feed a Large Breed Puppy food till he is a year old.?
I always try to feed a good quality food from the animal feed store not the grocery store since I'm on a fixed income disability was wondering what you all feed your Doberman Pups???
Thank you for any reply just would like a healthy pup would help if I could pick up his stools better though.
Patches Mom
The girls get Prairie dry dog food no problems wit their stools.
I feed my 7mo pooch Natural Balance...and his coat shines beautifully...I also give him a little peanut butter every day...he loves it!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I am feeding Jasmine Innova large breed puppy food. The calcium/phosphorus ratio is different than that in a adult dog food. IMO puppy food has changed from the past (high protein). I think that's why people started feeding adult food, was to slow the growing process down. Today's puppy food does do that but I believe the C/P ratio is in line with growing puppies. That's not to say that adult food is going to do any damage either...I am actually torn as to what to do, who to believe. I will continue to feed this, I just bought another bag but I think at about 4.5 to 5 months I will put her on Candiae. Like Sooz said chicken meal, lamb meal, etc. are not bad at all. The difference between meal and just plain chicken is that the water has been removed.
Has Buddy been checked for parasites? Like Coccida or Giardia? They can cause pudding poops.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Believe it or not, but I come from a time when puppy food didn't even exist. And dogs did just fine as far as I know. When I got my first puppy Purina Puppy Chow had come out and I of course got it for my puppy because I believed the advertising campaign that a growing puppy needed a different diet from an adult dog, and all my puppies from then on were raised on Purina PUppy Chow, except for the Doberman I have now. By the time I got him I couldn't bring myself to feed Purina any more, even tho all my puppies did well on it. He ate Pro Plan Puppy until he was 5 or 6 months old then switched to Innova adult.

When you think about it, do wolf puppies get a different diet than the adults once they're weaned?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Although I agree with you Micdobe I do feel that science has come along way in producing better dog food. BUT I also think that dog food companies are also very slick in the way they market their product. I mean think about it when I started feeding dog food there was only one "natural or holistic" dog food. Now, every company out there has jumped on the band wagon and produces one. Glitizy packaging, small breed formula, large breed, hell they even have food for paticular breeds!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the input think I will try the Pumpkin idea need to open a can anyway & start giving some to my Minnie Doxie she is getting over weight figured a teaspoon am & pm for the Minnie Doxie and a Tablespoon am & pm for Buddy the Dobe??? I have never had a fat dog before I try to keep them at the ideal weight. Did catch hubby giving Doxie French fries told him not to do that. He does not mind so will start putting the Doxie in her crate.Buddy does act hungry all the time he is on Inceptor heart worm meds it covers all worms but tape worms.His water is under a Patio which has a top & three sides so do not think he could get the Giardia was thinking dogs got that from birds pooping in the water dogs drink? Will have to look it up and see what the symptoms are.
Thanks again for all your help did go back and re-read where you said a 1/4 of a cup of Pumpkin.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java loves any orange veg - pumpkin, carrots, sweet potatos. Was raised on Anamet kibble - not inexpensive, close to $25-30 a large bag - mixed w/ plain store brand yogurt. Brown rice is a cheap and nutritious binder as mentioned above. LOVES bananas. I have even started mixing together cooked carrots, brown rice, boiled chicken meat (thigh and leg meat on sale, pulled from bone after I make chicken stock), mashed sweet potato, and freezing it for future use. I still keep a premium kibble on hand, mix in 1/2 cup.

BRAT diet is great for upset puppy tummies. Java came down with 'Compy' - loose, mucusy bloody stools - anti-biotics for 10 days. Wouldn't eat, so I tried mashed bananas, brown rice, unsweetened applesauce - left off the tea and toast. Bit of yogurt after three days.

Hope Buddy feels better soon.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you feed Feed Store brands, try Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul. It's holistic, and my dobe eats it like candy. Her coat was glossy on Pro plan, but is like glass now! It is also not as expensive as other top-line holistic foods.

I would also check for giardia, coccidia, worms, etc.

If you feed them too often, I would back off "dog biscuits" as well. They are usually crap.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Canidae

Patches Mom here well hope I did not mess up bought Buddy Canidae all life stages so hope it is a good food for Dobes? The guy at Animal Health store told me some of his Dobe customers feed it to their Dobes.I still have some of the food I was feeding so I can make a transition easier for him.I try to feed a good food for my dogs trying to make sure they are as healthy as I can get them.
Patches Mom

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Patches Mom said:
Patches Mom here well hope I did not mess up bought Buddy Canidae all life stages so hope it is a good food for Dobes? The guy at Animal Health store told me some of his Dobe customers feed it to their Dobes.I still have some of the food I was feeding so I can make a transition easier for him.I try to feed a good food for my dogs trying to make sure they are as healthy as I can get them.
Patches Mom
There is no one food that's best for every breed, or every dog. Two of my dogs do very well on Canidae. In fact, the younger doberman clearly does better on Canidae than on any other food I've tried with her. She's been on it since she was about 16 weeks old, and I've always been sorry (REALLY sorry, due to bad gas and diarrhea, runny eyes) when I tried other kibbles for her, including Kitchen Soup.

The older dog does..okay...on Canidae, no digestive disturbances or anything. But I found when I switched him to Wellness Fish and Potato kibble that his coat improved dramatically.

So the best thing to do is try a premium kibble out-if it doesn't work for your particular dog, then try another.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
One of mine did HORRIBLE on that food, b/c it has so many protein sources. Coat went yucky, stools runny, ear infection got worse, and other stuff.
But I know many do well on it. Totally just depends on the dog. Maybe Buddy has food allergies?

I feed Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal to my dog with allergies, also feed Wellness and Nature's Variety Prairie Chicken. I also add various supplements in small amounts, like meats, cheeses, peanut butter, natural yogurt, and other stuff.

I feed chicken soup to my cat, and a relative of mine and two friends feed that food to all of their cats of the same breed and they do soo great on that food, better than any of the others we tried (wellness, innova, eagle, and nature's variety.) We also add a tiny bit of olive oil every other week in their food.

Right now I am in the mindset, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, or I would switch the dogs to Chicken soup too.

Another food I really like is California Natural Chicken and Rice, that is good for dogs with allergies too and my allergy boy did okay on it, but the Eagle Pack really works well for him. Good luck finding Buddy’s right food.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Usually get the Bil Jac dog biscuits but my papillon does not eat them anymore the doxie wants to hide them & Buddy seems to eat anything that does not eat him first.No use buying them anymore.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
46 Posts
My male dobie had had digestive problems all his life..... I have tried many premium kibbles. He did the best on the ones with the higher fiber content. I also had to add pumpkin to his food. I switched to a prepared raw food a few years ago and he has been fine ever since. His coat was always glossy but now it is even better. He used to have problems with gas, burping and bad breath. All are gone now.
I am pretty sure the problem was the grains in the food. He no longer gets any grain products only protien, fruit and veggies.

I feed a combination of Primal and Honest Kitchen. They are both use human grade food sources.....
http://www.primalpetfoods.com/about.htm
http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products.htm

I rotate the protein sources each time I shop for food so he gets variety and balance in his diet.

HTH,

Leslie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts