Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will be picking up my first dobie puppy on Saturday and was wondering what brand of dog food is best for him? He will only be 6 weeks old when I get him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
jlong_579 said:
I will be picking up my first dobie puppy on Saturday and was wondering what brand of dog food is best for him? He will only be 6 weeks old when I get him.

You should not be bringing home a 6 week old puppy. Puppies should stay with their mother until AT LEAST 8 weeks old.

Where are you getting the puppy from? Responsible breeders NEVER let their pups go before at least 8 weeks, and it is also against the law in most states to sell a puppy before the age of 8 weeks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi and welcome aboard the both of you. I am sure everyone would love for the two of you to introduce yourself in the new member area. I myself am new to the board and everyone here is quite caring and helpful. jlong, I do agree that 6 weeks is too young. They still need bonding time and nutriotion from mom that still provides needed antibodies. Please read through some of the posts here as there is a wealth of info. I have been a dobie owner for 4 years and I still have a lot to learn. Thank-god for the wonderful people here. As for food, here is a GREAT link. http://www.dobermantalk.com/showthread.php?t=708&highlight=food
Glad to have you here and good luck with your new coming puppy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know 8 weeks is preferred but my vet said that 6 weeks would be ok. Thank you for the link, it was very helpful.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Welcome and glad to hear you've consulted a vet. Our breeder wouldn't let us bring Java home before she was closer to 11 weeks old. Pups still need to be socialized by their mother and litter-mates. The Doberman Pinscher Club of America site has info on bringing up your Dobe puppy.

At 11 weeks we were feeding Java Ananmaet (organic) dry food mixed (2 cups in morning, 2 @ night) with plain yogurt (helps aid developing digestive tract). Any food she left behind in her bowl was removed. She also got a hard-boiled egg or a bit of chicken, salmon or tuna at one feeding. Any vet worth his/her salt will be happy to answer any and all of your questions re: feeding.

·
RIP Lexi
69 Posts
for some reason or other Lexi had foul smelling gas and large stool with Solid Gold wolfcub?....not sure if thats the case with anyone else...anyhow, she's now on California Natural (Sophia Kloster also feeds this to her dogs) and (tried Wellness - diarrhea, Canidae- she didnt like it) Prairie and Innova canned mix.
I mix diff. meats - chicken, beef, turkey, tuna, veal, lamb with the foods and eggs and raw bones as a treat.
Best bet to stay away from grocery store brands...Good luck with the puppy!

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Piper and Rommel both had bad gas on the puppy formula, but since they have been on the Millennia (beef based) which is also an adult formula, they have been fine, the gas is totally gone. It was pretty rank on the hundchen-flocken though.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I dunno jilong... it's nice that you consulted a vet, but for a doberman to come home at 6wks still does not sit right with me. Is this a special case where you need the pup that early or is the breeder actually kicking all the pups out?

I hope the vet added a very long "but" after ok-ing the pup to come home that early. If he just casually said, yeah sure you can bring the puppy home at 6wks and that was the end of that... I dunnoo.... There are some very good reasons puppies shouldn't come home that early. I hope you're prepared to put extra work into this pup to make sure he turns out ok behaviourally and psychologically wise.

As for the food, plain kibble is the easiest route. You don't necessarily need to feed wet food, although that is a plus. Adding some hot water to the kibble and letting it soak for a few minutes makes it more palatable for the dog and makes the food easier to digest. Stay far far away from any of the brands you can buy at a grocery store or at walmart. Dog food is one of those things where you do get what you pay for. Other then that there are tons of great foods out there. Basically the ones mentioned above are what comes to my head as some of the easiest to get. Individual dogs do better on some then others so don't be afraid to experiment with the different brands and formulas.

You also have the options of feeding less processed foods. Either cooked, raw, or raw-dehidrated. You can learn how to make these yourself, or purchase premade portions. This is by far the healthiest option for the dog, however it will take some effort on your part initially.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Piper and Rommel love the AFS dehydrated Beef and Chicken also. I feed it as treats when they have done something Super, like after a really good track or superior obedience. They know when they get it that they have done something great!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just want to add in the reason to stay away from grocery store type kibble. The stuff is crap. Dobermans often get dandruff and other skin issues and when you feed with quality food, you will see their coat shine. They will also have healthy skin,bones,eyes,etc. I feed mine chicken soup for the dog. They also get raw daily. At the grocery store today, I was pulling the dogs' food to the side to be bagged differently and the woman behind me, "wow your dogs eat better than we do". I had a couple racks of beef ribs,a pack of small steaks, some oxtail bones and sardines. I also give them plain yogurt,raw eggs with the shell crushed,liver and fresh veggies and fruits throughout the week. Not everyone does this though and high quality dog food alone is fine. Most peoples dogs are forced to live on grocery store kibble.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
The stuff is crap. Dobermans often get dandruff and other skin issues and when you feed with quality food
Did you mean when they get dandruff and other skin issues if you DONT feed with quality food?:)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
SeaNemesis said:
I just want to add in the reason to stay away from grocery store type kibble. The stuff is crap. Dobermans often get dandruff and other skin issues and when you feed with quality food, you will see their coat shine. They will also have healthy skin,bones,eyes,etc. I feed mine chicken soup for the dog. They also get raw daily. At the grocery store today, I was pulling the dogs' food to the side to be bagged differently and the woman behind me, "wow your dogs eat better than we do". I had a couple racks of beef ribs,a pack of small steaks, some oxtail bones and sardines. I also give them plain yogurt,raw eggs with the shell crushed,liver and fresh veggies and fruits throughout the week. Not everyone does this though and high quality dog food alone is fine. Most peoples dogs are forced to live on grocery store kibble.

Ha, I've gotten that look and response from a few people at the grocery store too! Usually I get the weirdo eyeballs from the chicken backs, oxtail, and chicken gizzards & hearts, then I say "Oh it's for my dog" then they looked relieved for a second until it sets in what I'm buying for a dog!!!

We're all nuts.....:tongue23:

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Lexus said:
Ha, I've gotten that look and response from a few people at the grocery store too! Usually I get the weirdo eyeballs from the chicken backs, oxtail, and chicken gizzards & hearts, then I say "Oh it's for my dog" then they looked relieved for a second until it sets in what I'm buying for a dog!!!

We're all nuts.....:tongue23:
I am feeding Nutro large breed puppy to Mischa.And Lexus i'm not nuts,not me,oh no,not nuts,hahahahah heeeeeeee hoooooohaaaaaa.
:emo11: :help_up_2 ooops there it is again.
sorry just lead me to the quiet room and give me my meds and all will be well.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Muahahha Brum, you can't fool us, you're one of the biggest dobernuts on here!!! Quiet time now..... breath..... ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Watch out for Nutros. I took it off my recommended list many years ago after finding a relation to this food and cancer in my client dogs/cats. Just through my own client base and I discovered 20+ dogs and cats that developed cancer in their youth.

Innova is a good food, as is California Natural which is also made by Natura Pet Products. they also make Healthwise. Good calories, I like the vit/mineral essay in the Innova. Also prefer pups to go on the Innova over the California Natural because it offers a better array of meat proteins.

Petcurean makes Foundations and Go'Natural. Although you can still read about a civil case they had and a product recall. I always consider that pretty much every food company has had a problem in the past. In fact, I don't know of too many that didn't! You might not know of all the problems, but being in this industry I do. Go'Natural is on my list of recommended foods. High calorie, low volume stools, high meat protein.

The foundations comes in a puppy formula, it is a highly palatable food and is on my recommended list. Good mid-range cals, a little less meat protein then the Go'.

Wellness is absolutely not ideal for a young Dobermann, but it is awesome for older dobes that do not require a high calorie base. I especially recommend this food to torsion prone dogs because it is baked and has no product expansion.

I am not a real fan of the Solid Gold. Just think you are not getting your monies worth in consideration for the ingredient list. I am not saying it is not a good food, just didn't really get far with me.

There are tons more, good luck!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Dobereich said:
Watch out for Nutros. I took it off my recommended list many years ago after finding a relation to this food and cancer in my client dogs/cats. Just through my own client base and I discovered 20+ dogs and cats that developed cancer in their youth.

Didn't they quietly change their formula some 5-8 years ago? I remember hearing aobut it as being a highly recommended food, then some one big bought them out and the food's quality went down the hill.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Zucker said:
Didn't they quietly change their formula some 5-8 years ago? I remember hearing aobut it as being a highly recommended food, then some one big bought them out and the food's quality went down the hill.
I am not too sure about the buy-out. What you mentioned actually sounds more like Iams. They were being sued by Nutros after they had the Iam's product analyzed and found more then trace amounts of BHT/BHA/ethoxiquin, and animal hair protein in the food. That was pretty big, considering that they advertised their product as being "naturally preserved".

Iams sold out to Proctor and Gamble, so that is pretty darn big for sure :) Once it went there they changed the product label to appeal to the average consumer. Most definitely the changes adversely affected food quality, and the food became available in the local Grocery stores.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I started Chi out on Nutro and then switched to RAW and now am absolutely in love with the way she's responding to Canidae - wish I would have had her on it all along actually...
I'm glad you consulted with your vet and I've no doubt that a 6 week old pup can survive, I brought mine home at 6.5 weeks - The problem is all that the pup won't be learning from its mother and litter mates in those last crucial couple of weeks. I have no doubt in my mind that if Chi had remained with her litter a bit longer, she'd be more confident and have fewer issues today.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts