Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been picking Zephyr's brain, but I wanted to also get the opinion of the general DT population.

I am considering adding a dog door to the new house, but Im hesitant for several reasons. I have heard horror stories about dogs degloving their legs if they decide to pull back out of the door. I am also worried that they will be too barky- so I doubt I would leave the door unlocked during the day.

I guess I want to know:

1. Do you have a dog door?

2. What kind (soft flap, hard flap, automatic)?

3. Do you like the door you have? What would you change if not?

Thanks DT!

Reactions: lolonurse

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have been picking Zephyr's brain, but I wanted to also get the opinion of the general DT population.

I am considering adding a dog door to the new house, but Im hesitant for several reasons. I have heard horror stories about dogs degloving their legs if they decide to pull back out of the door. I am also worried that they will be too barky- so I doubt I would leave the door unlocked during the day.

I guess I want to know:

1. Do you have a dog door?

2. What kind (soft flap, hard flap, automatic)?

3. Do you like the door you have? What would you change if not?

Thanks DT!
Well you sort of know my opinion already, but I'll answer your questions anyway!

1. Yes. :p

2. Plexidor Large White (mounted to our back door) that looks like this:

The doors have a saloon style opening unlike the typical floppy flap style that hangs from the opening of the frame. They are made of double paned plexiglass to help insulate and protect against extreme temperatures outside. As far as degloving goes, as you can see in the following picture there is a ribbon of soft/fuzzy weatherstripping that borders each door pane to prevent drafts. Both of my dogs have gone part of the way through the door, stopped, and backed out of it for one reason or another without issue. Each door is on a separate hinge, so one can open outwards while the other folds in and my dogs never get stuck or scraped as far as I can tell. In fact, Nietzsche frequently pokes ONLY his head in (from outside to see what's going on in the kitchen), looks around a bit, then pulls his head back out to go tackle Libby.

3. I love it. I love that it has a handy key at the top that allows you to lock the doors easily without fussing with a slide-in plate. I also love that it has the option to screw in a very secure metal plate if the door is not going to be used for some time. My dogs have plowed into the thing, backed out of it, tried to squeeze through it together, bonked their heads while it was locked, etc., and it has held up wonderfully. It's not drafty in the least, and we haven't noticed any change in our electric bill since installing the door.

The only minor complaint I have is that because the doors are clear, they show slobber, dirt, and nose smudges easily, but I think that would apply to any door. Since each door a hard pane, they're very easy to clean!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Yep, gotsa dog door and love it. Soft plastic flap kind... like this:
Pet Safe Dog Door.

Love it. Installed it 4 years ago and would not want to be without it. No issues and I cannot imagine what a dog would have to do to deglove themselves. There really isn't anything on this door they can get hung up on. Door is soft, flexible plastic and frame fits snugly.

Reactions: AuraDobe

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I would love to have a doggie door because I let my guys in and out probably 10 times a day. I worry that living in the country a raccoon would try to come in.

Who installed the Plexidor for you? Did the builder or a trim carpenter? I would need two. One from the inside into the garage and one in the garage to the outside. Love the look and convenience if I can keep out the raccoons.

Reactions: AuraDobe

·
Registered
667 Posts
Would love to have one for our back door but it is a glass door. Glass is surrounded by wood. Interested if anyone has glass door and a doggie door.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would love to have one for our back door but it is a glass door. Glass is surrounded by wood. Interested if anyone has glass door and a doggie door.
My brother and sister in law do. I know they had someone instal it for them, but it looks pretty nice!

Reactions: p8ballmom

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have at the last 2 houses. Had the PetSafe flappy thing. Loved it other than the PITA slide in panel.
Can't have one at the current place.
Will have one again, will most likely have the one in Zephyr's post.. That looks like the chit!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Gun Dog

We have a Gun Dog door in Levi's kennel. It has a hard aluminum outer door for folding out, and a plexiglass inner door for folding in. Levi's had it for six years, with no problems. It opens into what amounts to an insulated and heated dog house built into a corner of the garage. It's rugged, but not terribly weather tight.

Not sure I'd have a door leading into the house though. In the Spring I can only imagine the mud he'd track in running back and forth between a sunny spot in the house and chasing everything larger than a sparrow out of the state...

Also I've heard of wild animals getting in to the house. Skunks and racoons are not shy, and if they smell food will not hesitate to crawl in to get it. The biggest thing I've ever seen in his kennel though is a tree frog in his water bowl.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
No.

He would run in/out with dirty feet.

He would drag in heaven's knows what.. dead bird, animal... use imagination

He would invite in his 'friends'... animals, etc. use imagination

if a skunk ever got in, my life would be over... would have to declare our house a RCRA hazardous waste site and have it demolished. :rolleyesww:

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I wouldn't consider NOT having a doggie door! We have the soft flap kind. Never any kind of injury.

We did have a possum get into the house once-maybe thru the doggie door. But we were leaving the back door open a lot at the time, so it's just as likely the possum came in thru the door itself-we'll never know. Even after one "wild animal invasion", it never occurred to me to take the doggie door out. One time in 30 plus years isn't such a terrible thing.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have the petsafe soft flap.
I would never go with out a dog door. Esp where I work 9 hour days.
Dogs love it and so do I. If I do go out in the evenings I do close it becuse my girl hears a mouse fart at night she will run out there and bark her head off ;)

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Love my dog door and would NEVER be without one. I have the soft flap kind. Eli actually spends quite a bit of time outside in the summer even when I am home, he likes it outside. The door is available 24/7 and he can come in whenever he wants. I have an old girl and it is wonderful for her since I feel it allows her to pee when she feels it and at 14 1/2 she needs to be able to get out a bit more. I work full time and they have the door which eases my mind. Neither one barks a whole lot besides in my area it wouldn't matter.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your input everyone! Im pretty excited to have one put in now :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got the automatic one. Got tired of opening doors to the backyard around hundred times every evening, when princesses wanted to go outside. Since we bought them, we have no problem with them, even with rough handling.
They open when dog comes close-range is regulated for inside/outside. It opens only for animal having sensor colar, so no racoons or snakes sneaking into. Doors open (being pulled up) fast, closing takes maybe two seconds, work on battery or charger. They can be turned off.

I like them. The only weak point are sensor collars-sometimes in rough play they are getting destroyed so I always have few extra.
On the same sensor I got two months ago a sound barrier, because of Gaby constantly stealing child's toys. It comes as a black box standing next to the doorway, when dog comes too close, it emitts loud sound (like a fire alarm). After first few days they learnt to keep away. No more Barbies with chewed off legs! :D

Got that door on eBay for about $300.00. Additional collar about $30, wall tunnel about same.

Xena with sensor collar...

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Hi Mal... We've had various types for at least the last 20-25 years... can't imagine not having at least one (depending on your setup). We live an exceptionally indoor/outdoor lifestyle, so our living room, family room and bedroom doors to the outdoors are usually wide open all day, but we have a glass insert for our sliding patio door - it looks like part of the door structure but has a flap for the furkids to go in and out at will if the door is closed. It has a solid panel which slides into a groove over the flap and snaps into place if you want to block their access/egress.... and removing the entire panel for more wide-open access, like for a party, is very easy to do. Love it... and no cutting holes in walls or doors, like our other ones. (Oh, and the cats like it, too!)

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
I would never not have a doggie dog. Ours is custom made. We have glass french doors and had the glass manufacture cut into the glass itside. It comes with a panel for closing. Roxy has to dip down to enter so this forces her to slow down when entering or lexiting the door. PM if you would like to see the fixture.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts