Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi DT, I'm in the middle of planning our annual backpacking trip and I can't stop thinking about how last year, on our longest ever trip and for the first time ever, Vegas got very sore feet. None of us were expecting it, and poor Vegas had to have her little feet wrapped by me. (see the picture)

I keep going back and looking at ruffwear booties, I love the brand but I can't decide whether we need them. I'm not sure if her feet are going to be bothered again since that was the only time it's ever happened, and we'll be in a different area with different terrain this year. The boots are also a little pricey for something that I don't know if we'll even need, or if she'll consent to wear.

I thought about different brands, since other ones are a lot less expensive, but with something that would get so beat up I think I'd want the highest quality- and ruffwear certainly doesn't disappoint.

SO! Has anyone used these? Has anyone hated them? Would you say they're awesome and 100% worth every penny? Does anyone out there love a more affordable brand just as much?

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I got the Ruffwear ones for Jones, I love them however depending on Vegas's size of feet I would err to the size of smaller... Jones was on the edge of 2 sizes and I went bigger I wish I would have gone smaller, because sometimes the boot will "flip" so the bottom is on the top and the top is on the bottom. I do a quick fix by taping the shoes on, but other than me buying the wrong size I love them...

I bought them because when we went running on the road there are patches that are unpaved and people smash glass all the time sometimes I couldn't see it (running early or late) and then patches of stickers... Not a problem since...

However if it is going to be hot I would not recommend Vegas wear boots. Dogs sweat through their feet, so if it is too hot they can not cool down properly.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JM!

I also just saw that ruff wear has 50% off an older kind of boot. Maybe those would be enough to give her feet a break from the dirt and gravel if they're starting to hurt, enough to keep them from getting raw. They don't have as much traction as the ones meant for hiking, but maybe they would be enough. Bark'n Boots? Skyliner? Dog Boots ? Everyday Paw Protection - from Ruff Wear

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Abby, I have a pair of Neopaws Summer boots that I bought for Priscilla (well, I only needed one, but they came in pairs...). I got them for this summer for the thistles in the park because she was unable to avoid them with her tripawd bouncing. However, she never made it to the summer so they have never been used. :(

I was trying to figure out who might need such a thing, but if you want them they're yours. They will give you a chance to see if that style might work for you if nothing else.

If you want them, just PM me your addy, and I'll mail them out.

They look like this but last years model I guess, with more silver striping. (red)

Neopaws Summer Dog Shoes - Hiking, Orthopedic, Water - Red

·
Doberdonut
516 Posts
I use muttluks. My Rottie cut her pad on granite while hiking in the shield with us, the booties did FANTASTIC. I sprayed the pad with liquid bandaid then bootied her. She was perfectly fine as long as she was wearing them.

Then she twisted her leg being silly on a dock, so got the full treatment:

Reactions: Abby

·
Registered
793 Posts
We use the ruff wear ones daily on our walks for the very hot pavement here and they are a great quality and are wonderful. I do put baby socks on underneath to prevent friction. They were a bit pricey but worth every penny. We also have the ones they are clearancing on the ruff wear site they are basically a light weight version of the red ones.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not sure the brand

We always carry a pair, not four, dog boots plus super-glue type wound sealant. Never needed them, but depending on the wound they can really bleed.

Levi's ears aren't cropped, and when he was a pup he often dove into the brambles while chasing rabbits. Cut his ears up pretty bad. I'd put him in the back of my truck, which had a cap. Always wondered if the guy that bought my old truck thought I was a serial killer or something, as the entire ceiling was spattered with blood from Levi cutting his ears out in the woods and then shaking his head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts