Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and have been reading lots of posts on dogs barking in cars and what to do about it. Here's my situation. Echo loves going on rides in the car...to the lake...to the dog park...to where ever. Once we're all in and on our way, the barking begins. My significant other is the one who drives, so I'm in the front on the passenger side...Echo is in the back...and she leans over the seat so her head is completely in the front and barks. It's like she's mad because she's in the back seat and she's scolding me. She puts her head close to my head and barks right in my ear, and if I ignore her, and don't look at her, she nudges me...and sometimes she mouths me...she's not biting, but she's doing everything she can to get my attention. I just lean forward so she can't reach me...but she won't quit trying to get me. She doesn't do this to Joel, who drives...just me. IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!...and I don't know how to stop it. I don't yell at her, I try to correct her and tell her quiet, or lay, or stop, but nothing works. I wondered if putting a muzzle on her for the ride would do any good. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

·
The DogFather
377 Posts
My dog barks at bicyclist and motorcycles

I used an e-collar one time for this (2 vibrates and one low level shock) and use the word leave it.

He does not bark in the car anymore

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would put her in a crate if at all possible. See if that helps at all.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Super Moderator
22,696 Posts
I'd also try crating as a first step.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
When I first got my pup he would whine and bark and I was the driver. if you have the patience I would start to drive and pull over if he began to bark or whine. Turn around and say that's enough. They have to understand the meaning of enough first. If he was standing or sitting I would tell him to lay down. Once he settled down and stopped whining or barking I proceeded to drive. Again if he started again I would repeat. It didn't take long for him to realize that it took longer to get to where we needed to be if he barked or whined. He quickly learned that I was not going to tolerate his behavior of barking or whining in the car. Now he rides in the car perfectly. This may or may not work, ever dog is different.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I'm looking at the thunder shirt................my female loves to go in the car but she barks at everyone...............and then she lays down.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I'm looking at the thunder shirt................my female loves to go in the car but she barks at everyone...............and then she lays down.
Just as a heads up if you didn't know already, Keep in mind about the thunder shirt that if it gets put on it should be put on when the dog is calm, if it gets put on when they are in anxiety mode or hyper it can make the problem worse.

·
Super Moderator
22,696 Posts
I've had pretty good success using the Thundershirt for both of my dogs for various reasons. Shadowwolf is right, though - be sure you use it for a while in calm situations when your dog isn't stressed so they get used to wearing it. Otherwise, they start to associate the shirt with stressful situations and that's not good.

One other thing I thought of this morning is that you might try the "Through a Dog's Ear" CD - the car version: Through a Dog's Ear - Using music and sound to improve the lives of dogs... and their people!. I have the non-car version and both Shanoa and Simon go to sleep when they listen to it. It really helps Simon get through Thunderstorms. I'm a huge fan of the CDs.

Reactions: SoCalGirl

·
kopfgeschlagen
2,671 Posts
I may try the cd for Elke. She has always had stress issues in the car and can make quite a ruckus. She has been calmer lately but is still stressed out.

I find that working with her on obedience and other things spills over to her behavior in the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for some really great ideas! The music CD sounds interesting, I'm going to check that out. I'll try these ideas and see which one works on her.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
turn on some heavy metal music

1 - 11 of 11 Posts