Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy was bitten by another intact male last Saturday. He has about 6 puncture wounds, two are pretty bad. Saw the er vet immediately and he is on pain pills and antibiotics. All the wounds except one have fully scabbed over...the one keeps draining. My questions are 1) how long will this physical healing process take? 2) he's been shaved in the wound areas but after the hair grows back will I see the scaring (he did not require stitches....no cuts, just puncture wounds) and 3) I've heard the hair can grow back white, is this true?. This had been extremely traumatic.....for my boy, for me, for my friend, and for her dog.....i do believe my boy will have some mental scaring as well, will be speaking to a dog behaviorist

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Im very sorry to hear about your boy, I hope he heals quickly and its a great idea to see a behavourist I think.

My boy was bitten and had about 4 puncuture wounds, but none were dangerously bad. I would say after about 4 weeks the scabs in his were completeley healed. I think it would vary from dog to dog (like with people) and the severity of wound. Same goes for hair-growth, most grow at different rates but getting back to full thickness can take quite a while (months). The hair where the scars are quite commonly grows back a slightly lighter colour, but can also grow back white. To me it seems much more visible in brown dogs.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
So sorry about your boy.

Depending on the severity of the wound, it may grow back to natural, or white hair.

After the scabs have fallen off on their own, I would apply a healing cream or oil. There are many to chose from. Also you could gently apply to the surrounding area now.

Chaos had an incision from her spine all the way around to her middle when she had her leg removed last fall. Half of that hair grew back, and her natural color (red).
Puppy Zack, however, has a small scar on his left leg that is white. I'm assuming it was a puncture that wasn't treated properly. I don't know as he is adopted and we have no history.

My point would be take good care of your boy now, both body & spirit.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I use Veterinus Derma Gel on my dogs and horses. I have a black horse that had a nasty cut on his hind leg and for the first week or so all the vet had me apply was the Veterinus Derma Gel. Beckley's hair grew back black and we can't tell where the wound was. It seems to work the same on my dogs, red or black. It comes in gel or spray.

Sorry Novis was attacked. I would be so angry and irritated. I control my dogs but other numnuts...

Reactions: Q734

·
Registered
391 Posts
I use Veterinus Derma Gel on my dogs and horses. I have a black horse that had a nasty cut on his hind leg and for the first week or so all the vet had me apply was the Veterinus Derma Gel. Beckley's hair grew back black and we can't tell where the wound was. It seems to work the same on my dogs, red or black. It comes in gel or spray.

Sorry Novis was attacked. I would be so angry and irritated. I control my dogs but other numnuts...
Veterinus Derma Gel is awesome stuff! I used it on my horse (must be about 10 years ago now... wow) who had the most horrendous leg injury, it healed beautifully and her coat grew back with no scarring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses! He's healing rather well and very quickly which is good. I'm hopeful his fur will grow back black but I'll get some of the items suggested and keep ppl posted on how it all turns out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts