Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. My 11 month old ate a water chestnut wrapped in bacon and a tooth pick still in it. Now I'm worried. He swallowed it whole doesn't seem to be choking. Any suggestions? I gave him bread and water to help. Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,803 Posts
How close are you to an E vet? If not close at all, it may be wise to board him at an E clinic for observation.

The stomach juices should have degraded it enough to make it soft, but who knows what chemicals the company put on the tooth pick to keep it from going soggy...

There isnt much a vet can do, you cant see wood with an xray, and ultra sound would be timely and probably would not come up with anything.

If the tooth pick were to pierce an organ, or perforate the bowels, you've got literally 10minutes to get the dog prepped and into the OR to fix it, this is why I asked how close you are to a clinic.

If it were my dog, I would call my E clinic and ask for an opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,972 Posts
One of my past dogs at 2 paint stirrers once. Came out fine :) As always, getting vet care for something like this is prudent. Best wishes for your puppers and happy holidays!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
Did he gulp it down without chewing? If so, I would be concerned that the pointed ends could get lodged somewhere in his digestive tract and cause problems. If he chewed it into smaller pieces, I would suspect the pieces would pass through his system without difficulty. Generally, food takes about 12 hours to pass through a dog's system. I would check his stools. If the toothpick does not show up, I would consider taking him to an emergency vet.
 

·
_______
Joined
·
5,102 Posts
I have seem people suggest soaking bread in vegetable oil in an effort to try to coat sharp edges and help move things out say for instance ingestion of cooked chicken bones.

People have also suggested canned pumpkin( not the pie filling tho) as a catch all to bind and move anything along.

***But I'm not a vet, don't even play one on Dt.

A toothpick would be pretty hard to see on an x-ray wouldn't it? Anyone?

Hope nothing major comes of it. Keep us posted.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top