Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello DobermanTalk community.

I have a close to 10 month old dobe who has recently started showing dog aggression. We have been going to the dog park since I got him when he was about 10 weeks old. We didn't go much over the winter because of snow and temp.

Since about 6 months old he has begun having dog aggression issues. My girlfriend works at a doggy day care and she would bring him to work with her often. He was fine as was used as a "meet and greet" dog for new "clients" because he was so well behaved.

At first I had issues believing he was being dog aggressive because I had never witnessed it. Here is what I have seen now:

1) Only happens with dogs larger than him. Mostly German's, older Dobe's, Husky's, Rott's.

2) It only happens when my girlfriend is around. Granted she is with me about 95% of the time we go out.

3) He almost never goes after the other dogs initially. He usually runs from them, if they follow he begins baring his teeth, and if they don't move away he will then lunge. 90% of the incidents occur when the dogs are face to face.

4) He has not made contact with another dog when he does this (yet). Being that he is within an inch of their face when he starts I believe he could make contact if he wanted.

5) It doesn't last very long. He usually backs them off and stops. If I say something he will break off. But recently it isn't stopping as quickly and you be very close.

6) He is not neutered if you want to know.

I don't want to have to barr him from the dog park but I don't want to continue to have this problem. We go almost every day and will be there between 1-2 hours. The most incidents I have had in 1 visit is 2, but usually is isolated to 1 incident for 5-10 seconds.

Any input is very appreciated.

He does live with a mini-aussie who is a few months older than him, and I would say he is very well socialized as I get him out and about with new situations as often as possible. Every day weather permitting.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Male Dobes can be same sex aggressive, it's very common in the breed. It's actually part of our bred standard. Dobes were bred to be a personal protection dog, they aren't like a hunting dog that was bred to hang out with other dogs while out hunting. I'd say a huge portion of the dobe owners here on DT don't take their males to dog parks, nor do most of them let them play with other males. Most have them play with friends dogs that they know and trust. Once they start aggressing towards other males that's pretty much it, you can't train it out of them. Your boy is still a puppy and unfortunately chances are this is going to get worse as time goes on. Personally I don't think neutering changes same sex aggression. If its causing other males to be aggressive towards your boy, then it would stop that. Neutered males tend to go after intact males. Good luck, I know how upset you must be. I run my 2 year old with other males that we know well and if we had to stop I'd be sad, we love visiting with our dog friends.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it could be the male on male aggression I just hoped it might be situational based on what I see.

Aka:

My dog see's another dog (always the larger protective breeds I listed), He moves away from those dogs (normally towards my GF or I), the other dog follows, my dog stops and bares teeth, other dog does move, my dog "attacks".

I guess I'm wondering if he's attacking other dogs or simply communicating "move away". Like I stated he has yet to "contact" another dog with his teeth even though it would be very easy for him to based on proximity.

He seems to always go through all the "signals" of "stop doing what your doing" and only escalates when other dogs don't listen.

I have not seen him run at another dog aggressively. I have seen 2 other dogs run at him aggressively and bite him. So I have witnessed the difference between the two.

I suppose since he is not doing this "seeking attacking" behavior I'm holding out that it's something other than just aggression.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I'm only concerned for you/him because he is so young to be behaving like that, both of my males were big dopes around other dogs at 10 months old, never a situation like you are describing. My current male is very immature at 2, I do know he could end up hating other males too as he matures. Right now he's fine will all dogs. He was raised by an intact male until he was 17 months old, but that makes no difference, it's nothing that we could do that causes the same sex aggression, it's in the breed.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I'm confused...why are you putting your dog in this situation?

I have not seen him run at another dog aggressively. I have seen 2 other dogs run at him aggressively and bite him. So I have witnessed the difference between the two.

I suppose since he is not doing this "seeking attacking" behavior I'm holding out that it's something other than just aggression.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm confused...why are you putting your dog in this situation?
neither dog attack occurred at the dog park.

sorry you are a person opposed to to social dog situations take your judgement elsewhere please

second part you highlighted has nothing to do with being at a dog park or in your own house, and based on your highlight I assume you prefer your dogs aggressive

·
Registered
975 Posts
My personal feeling is that your dog is very frightened. He tries to run and when that is not successful he becomes reactive to drive the thing he is frightened of away. You need to get some experienced help to teach you how to help him overcome this. There is no way he should be further exposed to these frightening situations until you get some help with how to handle things.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My personal feeling is that your dog is very frightened. He tries to run and when that is not successful he becomes reactive to drive the thing he is frightened of away. You need to get some experienced help to teach you how to help him overcome this. There is no way he should be further exposed to these frightening situations until you get some help with how to handle things.
I agree with donnatoldu. It sounds like your dog is displaying minor fear aggression. My personal feeling, judging by what you have written, is that the dog park is not the place for him at the moment. I think you should work with him on his confidence issues (him running from other dogs and then baring his teeth) and practicing a solid recall if you decide to continue going to the dog park. I suggest a solid recall because if he is in a situation where he is noticeably uncomfortable, call him to you and remove him from the stressor or work through the issue with him. If you continue to let him become uncomfortable and lash out, it will only get worse and I can tell you from personal experience, fear aggression is not fun to deal with.

I would also suggest reading a book on calming signals: Amazon.com: Calming Signals: What Your Dog Tells You: Turid Rugaas: Movies & TV

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Antisocial and aggressive. Yep, sounds like my therapy dog. I wonder how we made it through the children's ward at the hospital today without him eating a small person.

Right, I was confused...

I don't want to have to barr him from the dog park but I don't want to continue to have this problem. We go almost every day and will be there between 1-2 hours. The most incidents I have had in 1 visit is 2, but usually is isolated to 1 incident for 5-10 seconds.

neither dog attack occurred at the dog park.

sorry you are a person opposed to to social dog situations take your judgement elsewhere please

second part you highlighted has nothing to do with being at a dog park or in your own house, and based on your highlight I assume you prefer your dogs aggressive

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I think you may have done a 'too much too soon' and pushed him out of his threshold. To me, it sounds like your flooding him with social interaction. Going to the dog park almost everyday for more than an hour, and on top of that, going to work with your GF is a little excessive IMO.

It sounds like you have a reactive dog on your hands, not something you should try to fix on your own. I would schedule play dates with dogs he enjoys being with, and contact a trainer/behaviorist to help with his reactivity to certain dogs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
He's very young at this point. While it might not be aggression yet, it is certainly working its way towards it. Unfortunately, he is a reactive dog. This can come from having bad experiences and being put into fearful situations (however unintentionally). At this point the continued negative interactions is causing an immediate fear response in your dog. While he's just reciting now, this could lead to him preemptively striking out in an "I'll get you first" sort of way. While I'm not against dog parks, I think you need to take time off from them until you have had time to work with your dog and get him into some purely positive experiences. Tis will likely involve a trainer or behaviorist who has worked with reactive dogs and can help guide you in getting these positive experiences. If you're having a negative experience every time you go, the problem is just going to keep getting worse.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you may have done a 'too much too soon' and pushed him out of his threshold. To me, it sounds like your flooding him with social interaction. Going to the dog park almost everyday for more than an hour, and on top of that, going to work with your GF is a little excessive IMO.
He doesn't go to work with her anymore he sits in a crate all day. Just wanted to clarify.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Antisocial and aggressive. Yep, sounds like my therapy dog. I wonder how we made it through the children's ward at the hospital today without him eating a small person.

Right, I was confused...
not going to argue with you. my dog has 0 problems with people I could walk him down a hospital ward with no issues also. Good Day.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I thought it could be the male on male aggression I just hoped it might be situational based on what I see.

Aka:

My dog see's another dog (always the larger protective breeds I listed), He moves away from those dogs (normally towards my GF or I), the other dog follows, my dog stops and bares teeth, other dog does move, my dog "attacks".

I guess I'm wondering if he's attacking other dogs or simply communicating "move away". Like I stated he has yet to "contact" another dog with his teeth even though it would be very easy for him to based on proximity.

He seems to always go through all the "signals" of "stop doing what your doing" and only escalates when other dogs don't listen.

He's doing this because 2 other dogs ran at him aggresively and "bit him". He's trying to stop that from happening again in the only way he knows how.

He needs to know that You won't let that happen again. Were that dogs that bit him one of the larger protective breeds?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He's doing this because 2 other dogs ran at him aggresively and "bit him". He's trying to stop that from happening again in the only way he knows how.

He needs to know that You won't let that happen again. Were that dogs that bit him one of the larger protective breeds?
one was an older doberman, the other was a pit/lab mix

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A parakeet would be better suited to being caged up all day. Reconsider maybe? Listen the advice that is being offered, you came here asking for help after all, right?
at first i didn't crate him when i went to work, then he started eating everything in sight, can't leave him unsupervised and not crate him, thus why i take him out after work. that comment seriously made it sound like you read 1 post and commented, your input wasn't helpful either, thanks move along

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
If you go to Leerburg.com they have a great article on dog parks, I have a almost 5 year old male neutered male he has been to beginners obedience has his CGC. He has been attacked twice two different occasions just in our neighbor hood.He has become reactive when we go out even to the vets so I really have to watch him at all times.Male Doberman s can be a handful we never go to the Dog Park s do to the fact I want to keep the Doberman in a good light.It does not seem to make any difference if the dog is fixed or not no amount of training will stop it is hard wired into the dog.Buddy is my Doberman s name he was crated until he was 2 years & 4 months old after that I could trust him in the house. I'm on disability so could not afford to replace a couch or pay for obstruction surgery so I was playing rather be safe than sorry card. Being in a crate or exercise pen is better than getting in trouble or surgery Doberman s have a nick name of Dobergoat s.Obedience,teaching tricks any kind of mental exercises will also help tire them out.Good Luck with your boy.

·
Registered
675 Posts
one was an older doberman, the other was a pit/lab mix
That would explain the large protective breed issue.

How old was he when the bites occurred?

What did you do when these bites happened did you try and stop these Dogs from biting your Puppy. Do you now stop Dogs from getting in his face.

·
Registered
401 Posts
at first i didn't crate him when i went to work, then he started eating everything in sight, can't leave him unsupervised and not crate him, thus why i take him out after work. that comment seriously made it sound like you read 1 post and commented, your input wasn't helpful either, thanks move along
To me it sounds like fear aggression too. My dog was attacked very early on and
As a result was very fearful. But instead of running he decided to show aggression to scare the attacker away.
This is a problem. I reccomend a behaviourist or trainer to look at your dog
Before it could esculate im no expert but it sounds like the same problem as me
And believe me my dog was a bad case and the best thing i did was get an expert!

As for the quotes being said, i think the person simply ment reconsider crating him for so long.. As u gave the impression of "we crate him allday now"
Which is also not gonna help your little man so id take the comments a little less personal after all.. U can read the comments you know help, and disregard ones u dont like instead of being abit rude about it.
Just my opinion.

Good luck with your puppy! I hope u stop this behaviour before it escalates
From my experience i wish u the best!

:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts