Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I have had him at the vet 2 times in the last 12 hours.

Last night he came in from the yard and he started pacing around the table, he would do this for some time then stop and stand still with his head down for several minutes, then the pacing again.

He went out and went around the perimeter of the yard, round and round, then back in the house pacing and standing.

He would not sit or lay down. I found no sore spots, no cough, no limp, only the pacing and standing.

After a few hours of this, I took him to the e-vet.
They checked him over, scan and x-ray - nothing. Sent me home to watch and wait.
He only laid down for 30-40 minutes for the next 6 hours. He ate, pooped, but still pacing and standing.

I took him back to vet, they found nothing and said to try some pain pills and watch him for any other signs. I gave him the pills and he is now asleep on the floor.

I am just worried and wonder if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions. He is a 5-year old neutered and has always been a healthy happy guy.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,602 Posts
I would think both blockage or bloat might be a possibility, or maybe he ate something nasty in the yard. I would be worried about those symptoms too--it does sound like abdominal pain that is not going away. Did they see any gas at all in the intestines in the Xray?

What did they tell you to watch for? I think with Xray results not showing a problem, it would be a watch and wait situation at this point.

It could be just severe indigestion/intestinal irritation and/or impending diarrhea. Eating and pooping with no vomiting are good signs, as is his going to sleep with just a pain killer for meds.

I did have one where I saw a couple of hours with symptoms like that before the vet could find anything. That ended up to be a mild case of bloat. But it was just gas build-up, not a torsion (he had had a gastropexy done during a previous attack) so it was not quite an emergency situation..

Maybe you could ask the e-vet if he thinks keeping him for a little bit for observation might be indicated????

Do you have another vet you could visit (if he wakes up with the same symptoms) for a second opinion?? Not sure that would be needed.....but maybe??

But I am not a vet and I can't see your dog on an online post, even if I were a vet, so........

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
the vet said there was a little bit of gas but not enough to worry about.
I saw one e-vet last night and a different one today, same results. I am watching.

My vet is not in until Monday so I will go back to e-vet if anything does/doesn't? change. I was told to watch for vomit, diarrhea, coughing, anything unusual. they told me I could leave him there for observation but he pants and doesn't like it there and he would just be in a pen, so they would be watching him or just checking on him?

He only slept for 1/2 an hour. He is not pacing at the moment, but standing by one of us at all times but looking for food and attention. so a little better anyway. I do not know but my guess is he is in some pain, but from what I don't know. The next step is bloodwork but both vets said it didn't seem like that would tell them much at this point.

I don't know if they think I am a nut for bringing him in twice, but I know him and he is not acting right.

·
Premium Member
9,587 Posts
How has his eating been the last week ? and drinking water ? He has a lot of anxiety for some reason - I have read all they have done - to date - But - what about a full blood work up .

Your dog's symptoms sounds like a girl we have - would pace and pace - day - night - her eating slowly slowed - would drink some - she ended up losing 16 pounds real quick - we had took her to the Vet - time after time - then took her to the ER at VCA - she ended up having Doberman Hepatitis - this is a condition where the Liver - in her case was over loaded with copper - I took a few days for them to get it figured out - she barely made it .

I'm NO Vet either !!! Might want to do a full blood work up though - sooner than later .

Good luck

... Ken

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will check into that.
He showed no problems until last night. Eating like a pig, have to use feeding toys and puzzle dish and was the same yesterday. today after pain meds wants to eat all the time as usual. Drinking is fine also. If nothing changes he will be seeing his own vet for work up. The E-vet is bleeding me dry, but I am glad to pay so far.

·
Super Moderator
25,602 Posts
.....I don't know if they think I am a nut for bringing him in twice, but I know him and he is not acting right.
You know your dog better than anyone, and you are getting to see him as he is acting at home (a dog's symptoms in a vet's office are usually different from what you see at home)......I wouldn't worry about whether they think you are a nut.

If you're worried about his behavior, you can ask the vet how long you should wait before bringing him in if you keep seeing the same symptoms. Also how much improvement you should expect to see over time.

I hope he keeps looking better and improving for you. I'll be thinking of you.....dogs with symptoms you can't explain are such a worry. Please give us an update when you get the time.

·
Super Moderator
25,602 Posts
I don't think liver problems would have a sudden onset??????

Though the early stage symptoms can look like lots of different things.

·
Premium Member
9,587 Posts
Mel -- Your a 100% right - It don't just come on - That's is what threw us off - The Internal Doctor - told us that it takes a long time for it to show up - then Bang - we were wondering what is going on here - Our General Vet even admitted - He had no idea that was what was happening - If blood work is done - Make sure to have them check Liver Values IF they were to come back high then The Internal Vet will say that the only way to know for sure is to do a biopsy of the Liver = a surgery - which in Ali's case - would have Killed her - As the Liver can not processed the ?? dam - went brain dead here - the med's they use in surgery to knock them out -

If your dog do's happen to have this - give me a PM on here or just post up - we can give you some good advice -

Watch for his eating to decrees + added anxiety - won't sleep - paces day and night - won't eat favorite treats - that kind of stuff

X-ray = nothing - time to do blood work - all out !

Look at his eye's - there the windows to your soul - It will show threw them if he's sick

I'm No VET - But

Best of luck !!!

... Ken

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you!
I am not ignoring you, my posts are not showing up because this is a new account and I guess they check them before posting.
My old account was on an old email address that I can no longer get to, so I started a new one.

I will be watching him and have my regular vet run tests.
I don't know if I can stand to lose another dog from something like that. My 10-year-old Newfoundland had bone cancer and my 8-year-old Boston had pancreatitis. It is so hard to see them go through it.

Im going to believe for now that it is just something he ate and all will be fine, as he is sleeping peacefully in my husband's chair. Tommorrow is another day.

·
Super Moderator
25,602 Posts
Tell us your old user name, and we will fix your old account so you can use it.

That way all of your posts will be together under one name--it's better for continuity.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was reading2much, I quit using the email addy with that account and could not reset it. thanks!

my boy is acting much better today and even wants to play. I spent the night sharing the sofa with him which he thinks is heaven and I think is hell, he is still on the pain pills so I am definitely not thinking it is all fine, but happy to see him feeling better. Will be seeing his regular vet and keeping my good eye on him.

Thanks for caring and helping

1 - 12 of 12 Posts