Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jaeger is getting very tired of having his ears posted and not to mention some sores from him rubbing his ears. He is 5.5 months. One ear stands up great and one not so great. I was thinking of trying the mole foam technique as that doesn't seem to push them down into the ear. I also wanted input on use of Vit C. Is it too late to use if it helps with cartilage development?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Vitamin C does help build cartilage, but how much it helps ears, I dont know. It is a good antioxidant, so I do recommend giving. I tried molefoam without much sucess. If you will get some BFI medicated powder and lightly dust inside of ears and fur side(outside) of ears, dust off excess from fur side and tape, it will stop the pulling hair out when removing tape, and sores from rubbing inside of ears.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Is there any harm with posting one ear and not the other?
No. Some people do that. I have found that if I do it, the dog will overuse one side, and then I have problems again with the good ear. So I always do both sides to balance it out.

Also, use that powder that Linda H. recommends. You need to keep the ears dry. Its when they are moist that problems occur.

·
Banned
422 Posts
How much vitamin c would you recommend on a daily basis? I am also interested in this.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Start out with 500 mgs vit C after morning meal. Watch to see if the pup develops soft stool or shows any digestive problems. If he does, cut back to 250 mgs. Give whichever works for your puppy for 2 weeks to a month, then add 250 or 500 mgs after evening meal. If your only giving 250 mgs, increase over time till pup is receiving 500 mgs after morning and nite meal for 1000 mgs a day. I wouldnt give more than 500 mgs till the pup is 5 months old. I forgot to mention vit C is believed to help prevent pano. I have to add that Parker developed pano during a little windo when I ran out of vit C and hadnt gotten anymore yet. Bout a week or two. Could have been coincidence, but the timing really struck me.:(

·
Banned
422 Posts
Start out with 500 mgs vit C after morning meal. Watch to see if the pup develops soft stool or shows any digestive problems. If he does, cut back to 250 mgs. Give whichever works for your puppy for 2 weeks to a month, then add 250 or 500 mgs after evening meal. If your only giving 250 mgs, increase over time till pup is receiving 500 mgs after morning and nite meal for 1000 mgs a day. I wouldnt give more than 500 mgs till the pup is 5 months old. I forgot to mention vit C is believed to help prevent pano. I have to add that Parker developed pano during a little windo when I ran out of vit C and hadnt gotten anymore yet. Bout a week or two. Could have been coincidence, but the timing really struck me.:(
Very helpful, I will be starting this tomorrow morning.

Edit: This may be a stupid question, but vitamin C designed for humans, and vitamin C for dogs all ends up being the same right?

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Very helpful, I will be starting this tomorrow morning.

Edit: This may be a stupid question, but vitamin C designed for humans, and vitamin C for dogs all ends up being the same right?
Yes

I get the best grade I can find at the Vitamin Store. I get the Salmon Oil there too. Buy the human grade in this. There is much more control and rules regarding experation dates etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Simply what does vitamin C provide to a person’s health and fitness? To start with, it provides many health improvements for individuals who eat this kind of vitamin on a steady basis. A couple of the most critical health benefits of normal vit c absorption are usually younger skin area along with healthy gyms. Yet another significance of that vitamin can be the actual intake of mineral deposits, for example iron, that is required, particularly for those people who are clinically diagnosed for being anemic. Individuals who often eat this specific vitamin will see how they get pleasure from speedy restorative healing of their very own injuries and also cuts. Vitamin C furthermore takes care of inside the unwinding and strengthening of the protecting coating of a individual’s respiratory system areas. Vitamin C can also help people benefit from health advantages, for example the reduction of lungs difficulties, just like flu virus, typical cold, as well as a number of additional lung microbe infections.

info vit c

Individuals constantly hook up vitamin c in addition to the health and wellbeing of a person’s defense system. Precisely what does Vitamin C deliver to the body wellness and defense system? It can help for the reduction of toxins, that if ignored, can produce critical damage of the individual's health and wellbeing. Also, it helps the body’s defense mechanisms to achieve dependable and robust body due to common detox. Along with this kind of a method, the entire body eliminates pretty much all poisons from the system. Our liver demands vit c in order to aid the purging of harmful toxins in the body.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hey llin, I'm having the same issue with my pup. One ear is able to stand on it's own for a week now, and the other is bent. They used to both stand up perfectly until his adult teeth started to come in.

We continue to post the one ear, but aren't seeing any improvement. :(

How are Jaeger's ears? Any improvements?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My boy is 11 months and I'm STILL posting one ear :rolleyesww: My advice is to keep posting, be patient, and certainly try the vitamin C...can't hurt anything :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts