Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My girl is 7 and a half months old and today i have just noticed she keeps biting and licking her bottom..
I have noticed the past couple of days a distinctive odour which i cannot describe but is not one bit pleasant!! Also whilst she was sleeping i noticed a fluid nearly clear in colour leaking from her bottom..
I have read up on anal sacks and it seems this is what it relates to but would like some opinions on it as i think ill book her into the vets tomorrow..
:thanx:

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I would try and give her some plain oats in her food to solve this problem before taking her to the vet. Maybe 1/4 cup.

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Got mutt?
13,826 Posts
Personally, I have a dog who used to get anal gland abcesses. I would take her into the vet to make sure that's not what happened. If it's an abcess, she needs antibiotics. If it turns out to be a matter of them just not expressing properly when she poops, then try more fiber in her diet.

Reactions: LVdobe and Darkevs

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
yes, sounds like anal gland issues.

normally when the sacs fill, they empty during a bowell movement.

if a dog has chronic loose stools the sacs may not empty and will become engorged, leak, get impacted, infected and possibly abscess.

best to have your Vet take a look and ask them to show you how to properly empty the anal sacs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help guys.. I havnt tried to empty her sacs as i dont know how too but im going to get her into the vet just to be on the safe side..
Her stools are generally fine, every now and then they may be a little loose but other than that never had a problem with them..
She also is fine in herself bless her :)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Thanks for your help guys.. I havnt tried to empty her sacs as i dont know how too but im going to get her into the vet just to be on the safe side..
Her stools are generally fine, every now and then they may be a little loose but other than that never had a problem with them..
She also is fine in herself bless her :)
Be careful doing it on your own, if you apply too much pressure you can rupture the sac. If you want to do this yourself, ask your vet to show you and walk you through the steps.

Some dogs just need help expressing the glands, if left alone they could get infected or impacted and that can lead to a hefty vet bill and a very sore bum :( chase gets his expressed once a month.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Get them emptied by a vet if shes showing that many sighns... and then after they have been done try to up her fiber to help prevent it from happening again. My pup had this for a while I just add some metamucile to his food every day and hes great. Or raw chicken backs are great fiber.

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've had to get my dogs glands expressed a couple of times, last time it needed to be done he was obviously quite uncomfortable, and very uncomfortable when the vet expressed them. I have since been adding a spoonful of pumpkin each meal and that seems to have helped quite a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts