Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm brand new to this forum. I hope this thread is in the right place because we are getting very nervous about our 13 week old doberpup. We need help! We have never owned a doberman before and he is our first, but have owned other breeds before, particularly smaller breeds. I believe that we have gotten in over our heads with this one.

Our pup is perfect when he wants to be, but when he starts to play, he will NOT stop biting. We have corrected and corrected and corrected some more about this issue and he persists. Toys do not interest him when replaced with hands. We leave the room when he gets too rough and as soon as we come back he continues with the behavior.

When we try to train with him, he refuses to listen and sometimes I blame his posts in his ears but even when I take them out he still ignores us both. Being a new DoberMommy is fun, but I'm getting very frustrated.

I have him sitting and waiting before we go outside, and before he gets to eat, also before we give any kind of toy. We do not crate for punishment, only for bedtime and when we are away. We discipline by holding a sit, or with a grab and shake by the scruff with a firm "NO" and have tried swatting his muzzle. Nothing helps the nipping and persistence with chasing our smaller, older dog.

We are at wits end and NEED advice. We love Cain but he is a naughty boy ALL the time. Obedience school or puppy class is an option, but I am afraid that he will hurt one of the other pups. He's rather large for his age and weighs around 35-40 lbs. HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Ok... so the biting is normal. It WILL pass... you might be ready to tear your hair out by that point but I promise if you continue to redirect, it will pass.... eventually. There's a reason we call them dobersharks!

As for training, I found that my boy listened better once he was a bit tired. Try a flirt pole for fun and exercise. Don't run or bike with a pup under 18 months, it damages their joints.

Don't discipline by holding a sit. This is a BABY and he's going to start thinking sitting is punishment. Shaking the scruff and swatting his muzzle is just going to make him terrified. He doesn't understand what you're asking... he's just a baby!

Teach him the leave it command for the chasing. Get that down solid. Try some kikopup training videos on youtube and take a deep breath and remember he's like an infant and he's exploring his world with his mouth! See if frozen carrots or a frozen kong stuffed with goodies helps!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Stop "I have him sitting and waiting before we go outside, and before he gets to eat, also before we give any kind of toy. We do not crate for punishment, only for bedtime and when we are away. We discipline by holding a sit, or with a grab and shake by the scruff with a firm "NO" and have tried swatting his muzzle. Nothing helps the nipping and persistence with chasing our smaller, older dog."
You will ruin your puppy you are being way too harsh he is a baby look at it from his view point he is a baby puppy does not know human language, all he wants to do is play, you are grabbing his muzzle will make him head shy.
I have a 14# female Dachshund and a 92# male Doberman so have been though the big dog vs little dog. Put a long line on your puppy when he gets too wild with the little dog reel him in might do some quick obedience a couple of sits or downs gets his mind off harassing the little dog. Keep handing him a toy when he bites you,also walk away which you will have to do about 1000 times before it sinks in. To avoid you getting super frustrated its OK to crate him for a few minutes. Also you can do what I did with my Dobe we have a fenced back yard we would go out and Buddy would jump on me and bite me which is a huge no-no since I have disability's. What I did I would go in the house leaving Buddy out side alone then after a minute or two I would go back outside I did that over & over & over finely sunk in Not nice to mom she goes away and I'm alone sometimes you just want to pull your hair out but this does work just takes time and patience. Yes the NILF is good but you can over use it which it sounds like you may be doing back off a little,no more shaking by the scruff,no more swatting him any where. Yell OUCH when he bites that's what a litter mate would do yell then ignore him for a few minutes.Yes if you can go to puppy Kindergarten do not worry about him being too rough that is what the instructor is for to help you teach your puppy self restraint.Welcome to DT and Good Luck if its any consolation to you we have all been there.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Try The Power of Positive Dog Training By Pat Miller.

He is I baby, don't expect so much out of him.

Stop snatching him by the neck and hitting him! Dobermans don't do well with physical punishment and have an in born sense of fairness. You're not being fair!

You need patience, patience, patience and consistency.

Patches mom gave you some good advice about stuffing a stuffie in his mouth and leaving him alone when he won't listen. Not much is worse to a dobe puppy then being left alone with no one to bother. You just have to keep doing these over and over till it sinks in to him what you want.

If you think this is bad, wait till he hits the teenager phase at about 6 or 7 months! Defiance city! LOL

Once you get him raised you will have the best dog ever! In about 3 years this will all fade away and you'll want another.

·
Alpha schmalpha
4,306 Posts
It is normal and the razor sharp teeth only make it worse , i still deal with play biting at almost 2years but it is tender mouthing, its the paw slaps that really piss me off! I would always have a toy handy to put between myself and the pup. The next phase is when he gets control of those legs and can get a running start that can be a problem:)

·
Registered
223 Posts
First off, CONGRATS on your puppy!!!

You need a professional trainer, ASAP. Not because you cannot do it yourself but because you don't know how. You can read a library of books and thousands of forum posts but nothing will give you confidence and hand's on experience like guidance from a professional. I'd skip the puppy classes and opt for private lessons where you'll get focused one-on-one training. Dobermans, like other dynamic breeds, require an owner with experience and confidence - you're not likely to acquire that from advice on a forum, even good advice.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I second getting a professional trainer. Although I wouldn't skip the puppy class. I think both a couple of private lessons and puppy class will help you and your pup learn and your pup will get some socialization.

Most trainers have one or two "puppy" private lessons. And an obedience class shouldn't be too expensive.

However, if you have to pick one or the other I would opt for private lessons.

Look for someone who uses positive methods, and it's a plus if they have experience with Dobermans.

If you let us know where you are located a board member may be able to point you in the direction of someone.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is normal Doberman puppy behavior. I recall when he was 12-13 weeks old thinking "what have I done, I picked the psycho of the litter". Pat Miller's book is excellent, I read it before we picked Jackson up. When anyone new here asks what are the "must haves" they should buy before bringing their puppy home- i always advise hydrogen peroxide and bandaids. Training a dog is not something you figure out for yourself, get help. What you do now affects so much. My boy Jackson is an obedient, loving, sweet boy.

Jax at 12 weeks

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello all, good news today! We made it all day long until about thirty minutes ago without biting anybody or attacking the other dog. He must have slept good :rolleyesww:. Anyway, we made a trip to PetsMart today and played nice with everybody and did not chase other dogs. As I'm typing he is laying with his head propped up on my shoulder hogging the couch, (we allow furniture priveleges). We got some info on a few puppy class options and have decided to opt for the private training sessions one hour a week for six weeks. We need him to be prompt and stark when given a command. His behavior that he presented to me today gives me a new found sense of hope and reassurance that our boy will turn out just fine. Is there anything I should prepare for when I begin these classes? What do you all think about clicker training? I bought one, but have yet to use it. :)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
The book I recommended IS clicker training.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
It is normal and the razor sharp teeth only make it worse , i still deal with play biting at almost 2years but it is tender mouthing, its the paw slaps that really piss me off! I would always have a toy handy to put between myself and the pup. The next phase is when he gets control of those legs and can get a running start that can be a problem:)

Oh, the pawing....Elka has GREAT bite inhibition, at this point (that was a long and scratchy road), but "paw inhibition"? Not so much. She doesn't jump ON us anymore, so there's less pawing that way, but she'll step on our feet, step on us as she gets into a lap, etc. etc.

Hello all, good news today! We made it all day long until about thirty minutes ago without biting anybody or attacking the other dog. He must have slept good :rolleyesww:. Anyway, we made a trip to PetsMart today and played nice with everybody and did not chase other dogs. As I'm typing he is laying with his head propped up on my shoulder hogging the couch, (we allow furniture priveleges). We got some info on a few puppy class options and have decided to opt for the private training sessions one hour a week for six weeks. We need him to be prompt and stark when given a command. His behavior that he presented to me today gives me a new found sense of hope and reassurance that our boy will turn out just fine. Is there anything I should prepare for when I begin these classes? What do you all think about clicker training? I bought one, but have yet to use it. :)
That's great! Sometimes all you need is a good day to put the...less than good ones...in perspective.

I really like clicker training! I like how it makes Elka think (and watching her figure out what I want is fun and awesome) and I like how it makes ME think too. I feel like it makes me a better owner and trainer, when we have to work together like that.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I would step up the outside play with this puppy throwing fluffy toys for him to run with...at this baby age I have 2 toys and throw one, then trade for toy #2 so he does not learn keep away with toys. Pup will be ready to come in and hang out a little more quietly after play sessions outdoors for 10-15 min at a time.

At 13 weeks I do not ask my puppies for any formal obedience at all except start to walk on a leash, potty training, and general manners such as the biting you mention. Stuffing a toy in the mouth goes a long way to helping with this. (I don't even bring a puppy home until 12 weeks).

I know you contacted a professional trainer, so I do hope they are positive based. I also wouldn't expect a puppy this age to have the attention span for an hour lesson. I'd ask if this includes talking with you while puppy plays or rests for breaks in this time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts