Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a male puppy from Adlercrest this Summer and I am planning on training Mondioring this time instead of Schutzhund. They are expecting blacks and browns and I have always wanted a brown. Though I want to say that Linda and Philip will make the final decision on which puppy is right for me based on what I am specifically looking for in a dog. I am curious if anyone has noticed a difference in temperament between colors? I know the Great Dane people will tell you for sure there is a difference.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've heard red boys are big goofballs :) My trainer has two black boys and a red boy and said that, of all the Dobermans she has owned, her red male has the sweetest, goofiest personality. I really don't think color matters though, especially not like correlation between colors and temperaments in Danes.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I've owned a black and tan female and she was hyper but very serious as the same time. Gunner is a red boy and pretty much fits the goofy loving stereotype. He is a lot more laid back than the female I had and is honestly my perfect personality. I don't know if it's his coloring or what, but he fits the stereotype for red males pretty well.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I've heard red boys are big goofballs :) My trainer has two black boys and a red boy and said that, of all the Dobermans she has owned, her red male has the sweetest, goofiest personality. I really don't think color matters though, especially not like correlation between colors and temperaments in Danes.
The goofiest male I've ever known was black-he never had a sensible thought in his life. :)

I think when you see temperament differences between colors in certain breeds, it frequently is linked to the quality of the breeders who produce them. If a color is pretty much only produced by byb's, then it really wouldn't be surprising if temperament suffered.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I know people say that red boys are the goofiest, but I couldn't imagine a dog being goofier than my black male. EVERYTHING is fun or has the opportunity for fun/a laugh. He will go out of his way to be funny and make people (even strangers) laugh. There are very few things he takes seriously....and he'll be two in less than a month. I remember his breeder mentioning what a personality he was even at less than 9 weeks of age. Each dog is an individual....and they will more or less be who they are destined to be.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I know people say that red boys are the goofiest, but I couldn't imagine a dog being goofier than my black male. EVERYTHING is fun or has the opportunity for fun/a laugh.
Jones says... "Challenge Accepted Chase!!!"

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Niz is a black boy and is as goofy as can be. I swear, he lives in his own little funny world, where of course, he is the princess of everything.

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Oh Faireview, those videos of Chase had me rolling! LOVE the nub in the second one :) What a goofy happy boy!

I grew up with Reds, and adore them. (shh don't tell Callie) They are still my favorites. I think that color is just that- color. I have a black and rust female and she is so loving and goofy, I love her! No matter what puppy you get, black or red, you'll fall in love with them and their personality.

·
Registered
295 Posts
What's with boys only being the goofy ones? My black girl has her moments, but more often then not she definitely more serious and kinda bitchy.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
The goofiest male I've ever known was black-he never had a sensible thought in his life. :)

I think when you see temperament differences between colors in certain breeds, it frequently is linked to the quality of the breeders who produce them. If a color is pretty much only produced by byb's, then it really wouldn't be surprising if temperament suffered.
I think with Danes specifically you see a slight variation in temperament, even from reputable breeders, because of the GDCA color code and the desire to maintain color purity in lines. For instance, I've heard there is a noticeable difference in temperament, energy level, etc between fawns and harls.

Good luck with your pup, OP! I'm looking forward to pictures already :)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My red boy of very goofy....but he is the only male I have ever had. The description at the rescue he came from said "he is a very goofy boy." He lived up to the description.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My red boy is goofy as he can get and I have been told by our trainer one of the most hyper Dobies she has ever met. He does have a serious side but it's well hidden. Love my little clown. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts