Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We switched Tanner to RAW about a 2 months ago because the condition we got her in was less than stellar and quality kibble wasn't cutting it. We tried feeding sardines to help with her coat but she just doesn't like it but I found she really loves whole baby mackeral. I am just wondering if anyone has ever fed it and if it will benefit her coat like sardines?

Any feed back is great Thanks!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I like feeding both salmon and mackeral. Mine thrive on both!

Reactions: Tanner's

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I feed Mackeral, Salmon and Whitefish as well as fish oil capsules daily. Works great for my boy.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,620 Posts
I feed Coco a variety of fish, smelts, salmon, tuna, sardines and mackerel. I have always found any of the fish I feed her makes her coat look nice and shiny. Good omegas in it. If she likes it keep feeding her it. :butfly:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Raw fish is about the only meat I can't sell here, but canned goes over well. I used to do canned mackerel regularly, but then it vanished for a few months and came back yucchy... it had been coming from Chile, and now all I can find is from Thailand... the fishes are smaller, mushy and don't smell good. All I am using now is canned salmon... it goes on sale at my pharmacy every once in a while, (regularly $4.69/can, on sale 2/$4.00) and I buy a shelf full. I do not do tuna due to concerns about heavy metals. Maybe someday I will again have a dog who likes raw fish!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Wheeler hates, hates, hates raw fish and this dog eats pretty much anything edible, he is not fussy at all -- but he doesn't do raw fish. Will turn his nose up at it and if I fool him with a piece, he literally spits it out. Solution -- frozen fish -- he loves it! So, he gets it frozen and no complaints.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are feeding frozen whole baby mackeral from Portugal, My husband wanted to use it as ice fishing bait because it holds together so well! Thanks for the feed back guys!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I fed the canned salmon and mackeral when I fed raw...you just can't give the whole can at a time, more like a third of it.

I did feed some raw fish but not mackeral or salmon, well you can't feed salmon raw if I am not mistaken. It carries a parasite of something that can kill your dog.

I also fed and still feed sardines as they are so darn good your your dog. Sardines :: A Super Hero FOOD FOR DOGS by Diane Jansey

·
Registered
99 Posts
I did feed some raw fish but not mackeral or salmon, well you can't feed salmon raw if I am not mistaken. It carries a parasite of something that can kill your dog.
Salmon from the PNW is the salmon you don't want to feed raw. I feed raw salmon from Lake Michigan to my dogs all the time and have for years. They LOVE it and it is an excellent addition to their raw diet.

Mackerel, sardines, smelt and salmon are great fish to feed.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I fed the canned salmon and mackeral when I fed raw...you just can't give the whole can at a time, more like a third of it.
Who sez you can't feed a whole can of salmon or mackerel at a time, and why? A couple or three times a week, breakfast for Rachael is a can of fish, and I know of no reason why that would not be advisable.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Feeding it raw is fine, you just need to freeze it for some days before it is fed.
If by chance a dog does get salmon poisoning, the signs are pretty clear and it's cleared up with an antibiotic and dewormer. Untreated it can result in death pretty quickly though. The issue is many people don't know their dog ate it and don't think to tell the vet to check for it. Symptoms look like many other issues.

I still say freeze it to be sure. Or like me be so paranoid you just don't feed it :)

Reactions: Q734 and Beaumont67

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be honest Freezing it just seems wayyy better on all fronts, Kills parasites and I don't have to worry about a stray fish eyeball on my carpet lol

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
When you guys say you are feeding sardines. Is that canned or fresh? I cant find uncanned ones here anywhere. I have looked everywhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We switched Tanner to RAW about a 2 months ago because the condition we got her in was less than stellar and quality kibble wasn't cutting it. We tried feeding sardines to help with her coat but she just doesn't like it but I found she really loves whole baby mackeral. I am just wondering if anyone has ever fed it and if it will benefit her coat like sardines?

Any feed back is great Thanks!
Markerel is a great source of oil. Cut off the gills otherwise feed the whole fish head to tail.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Miss mmctaq, I say you cant feed a whole can of mackeral or salmon. Perhaps, I should have said, I gave Parker most of a can of salmon and that much gave him horrible diarrhea, but it will be okay to give a whole can to your dogs. Mine is just weird. Happy now, hmmm? Sardines raw or in a can are both fine. The ones packed in water have less salt and calories, the olive oil and tomato packed are okay, you just want to drain all and not feed the salty contents. Maybe I answered that to Miss Mmctaq's satisfaction.:laughing: If not, I am sure I will hear about it!lol

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Miss mmctaq, I say you cant feed a whole can of mackeral or salmon. Perhaps, I should have said, I gave Parker most of a can of salmon and that much gave him horrible diarrhea, but it will be okay to give a whole can to your dogs. Mine is just weird. Happy now, hmmm? Sardines raw or in a can are both fine. The ones packed in water have less salt and calories, the olive oil and tomato packed are okay, you just want to drain all and not feed the salty contents. Maybe I answered that to Miss Mmctaq's satisfaction.:laughing: If not, I am sure I will hear about it!lol
That's "Ma'am" to you, Ms. H.!

Quite happy, now, thank you. Sorry you have an intestinally weird sissyboy. My digestively robust girl had a can of salmon for breakfast today, as a matter of fact, with no ill consequence of any sort... must be all the blueberries!

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Markerel is a great source of oil. Cut off the gills otherwise feed the whole fish head to tail.
Mackerel is high in mercury.

Here is a great site for anyone. It has a calculator w/different types of fish v. ratio eaten, to weight of person or in this case dog.

Sea Turtle Restoration Project*:*Got Mercury?

^gotmercury.org

I was so bummed when I found out how bad orange roughy is for you. I love orange roughy. :(

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Thanks for the site Q! Sorry about the orange roughy.:( I must say, you certainly are much prettier than I imagined you to be.0:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts