Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a doberman yet but I want to get a puppy or rescue in April. I haven't decided yet which though. Maybe it would help to hear your stories? :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've obedience trained a dalmatian and a chocolate lab, CGC/TDI, CD, CDX, so I'm not a rookie, but I've never been owned by a doberman. Taking on a rescue appeals to me, but reading here has me totally, realistically cautious!
(and I'll take scared and well-informed over delusional anyday, so thanks to all of you for being honest!)

·
Registered
975 Posts
I guess it depends on your definition of a success. I rescued an 11 yr old female in a no kill shelter who they had deemed to be unadoptable due to a bite and her agitation in the kennel environment. She had been there over a year after being seized when her owner was arrested. I was able to sign waivers and take her home. That old dolly was such a physical wreck with her missing lip and knocked out teeth and her back leg fixed in position but she slept on the couch and chewed/gummed bones and ran at my friends for almost 6 mos until I was forced to euthanize her due to bone cancer. From a lifetime friend and companion she was not a success but from a happy old senior and a great deal of love and reward Scarlett was a huge success for me. My only promise to her when I took her was that she would never be in a cage again and she wasn't.

Sorry I know u r looking for feedback as to successful pets and I know there are dozens on this forum. I took in a rescue girl Nov. 1st and she went to a home where she is the love of her life and they are so thrilled with her. Rescues are very very special.

U should give them a chance!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I think if you go with a reputable Doberman Rescue you will have a good experience. Remember there is a difference between a shelter dog and a Rescue organization dog. For those new to dogs, a shelter is a dog from the 'pound' or local public shelter.

If you go with a Doberman breed rescue, as I understand it, they evaluate the dogs and know if they get along with children, cats, other dogs, etc. and they will often be housebroken and used to a crate and may know some simple commands also. The people at a Doberman rescue will also be able to help you in picking one that might be well matched for your family.

If you pick one up at the local shelter, there is rarely any history and the workers there really are not that familiar with the dog since the dog will be in its kennel unless it is lucky enough to go out for a walk. But I don't think shelters have the time or staff like rescue people where they have the dog in their house and actually know the personality and how it interacts with dogs and people.

And, remember, not all dogs are given up because they are problem dogs. It might have just been a mismatch in terms of energy and time, change of living situation or financial, etc. But do be aware that if you go to a shelter, what you see is not necessarily what you will get because the dog's real personality won't necessarily show itself at the shelter and the people there probably don't really have a clue as to its real personality. So...A Rescue from a good rescue organization is the way to go if you adopt.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes I rescued a male back in the early 90's and he was one of the best dobies I ever had. His name was Fred and was a typical dobie that wanted to be close to you all the time. He absolutley hated storms and would run in to the walk in closet and try and dig his way under the carpet. he was five years old when I got him and he lived another six wonderful years until the cancer took him from me like my other boy.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I volunteer for a local Doberman rescue. I picked up a Dobe pup to foster and he never left! I adopted him. He has since earned his CGC and is in advanced obedience classes training to compete. Also, he was recently in Houston PetTalk Magazine (the Jan/Feb issue). Did I mention he's only 8 months old?

Last spring to late summer we had 7 litters of puppies (not born into the rescue). All surrendered or born in shelters to strays. So, if you have to have a puppy please check your local rescue first.

Of course, should you choose to buy please, please, please purchase from a reputable breeder!

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
We adopted a boy from our local shelter nearly 3 years ago; they didn't want to adopt him out because of his 'dog aggression'. He's gotten his CGC a year ago and he's primarily off leash and one of the best behaved dogs in our agility class, which has anywhere from 4-8 dogs. I don't think I could have found a better first dog anywhere.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Also, I have had over 40 adult fosters over the years. Much easier. Puppies are a lot of work! We have had several adults adopted from our organization go on to compete in agility and obedience. We screen carefully for all of our dogs and I'm comfortable stating that each of them gained fantastic families/homes.

A little secret of adult rescues...they are so very grateful for anything given to them. Blankets, meals, shelter, fresh water...it's the small things to some of these rescues that matter the most.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I have a rescue dog and she is awesome, she was already house and crate trained when I got her and she has a wonderful personality, she meshes well with any dog. I also have a dog from an ethical breeder and he is awesome. I have volunteered with rescue for 7 years and have fostered all types of dogs. There are good and bad examples of the breed with both rescues and breeders, regardless of which option you choose, do your research and homework. There are some really wonderful rescue organizations and others who are unethical, just like breeders. I had a terrible experience with a dobie rescue I used to volunteer with before I got my puppy and before I found an ethical rescue to work with. I actually decided to get a pup from an ethical breeder because of that experience.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I have a rescue dog and she is awesome, she was already house and crate trained when I got her and she has a wonderful personality, she meshes well with any dog. I also have a dog from an ethical breeder and he is awesome. I have volunteered with rescue for 7 years and have fostered all types of dogs. There are good and bad examples of the breed with both rescues and breeders, regardless of which option you choose, do your research and homework. There are some really wonderful rescue organizations and others who are unethical, just like breeders. I had a terrible experience with a dobie rescue I used to volunteer with before I got my puppy and before I found an ethical rescue to work with. I actually decided to get a pup from an ethical breeder because of that experience.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the local rescue. Care to PM me the details? I've heard a lot of stories, but thankfully I haven't had that experience myself. Good for you to find another group and still volunteering.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Gin, a Dobie mix, was adopted at age two. I had actually known her since she was 8 weeks, but she belonged to someone else until I convinced them give her to me. I had her until 8 days shy of her 15th birthday. She developed heart trouble at 11, but had to be euthanised due to vestibular disease, not her heart. Perfect? No. Great dog overall? Yes.

All my animals now, except my bird, were rescued directly off the street (in a couple of cases, litterally from the middle of the road). I've been VERY lucky with both of my current dogs, but it is chancy. If I can, in a few years, I will look into getting an older puppy or adult Dobe from a rescue group. Baby puppies are cute and all, but I have special requirements in a dog, and a non-baby would be better in my case.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm of course Pro-Rescue, as I am a Board Member and Sr. Volunteer for a Doberman Rescue myself. If you are clear to a rescue what you want in a dog (personality, activity, ability to interact with other dogs, pets, people) you can usually be placed with a dog you swear was tailor fit to you. You do have to be patient as that dog is most likely not the first one you see on a website, etc.

I go both ways with first time Doberman owners...if you're dog savy, a young rescue is great....but then again, you may have the chops for a puppy.

I have a hard time placing rescues with families with young children, simply due to the fact that I don't know their history and don't want to place anyone in a position of acting improperly (children OR dog). Those people, if they are dead set on a Doberman, I tell them it could take a year to find a dog that's ok with your 5 year old...but sometimes a pup raised with a young child would be better.

If you're not 100% set on the idea of a pup....GO RESCUE or talk to local breeders about pups that are returned (hopefully not for severe health or behavior issues) or adults they know about. The Dobe will thank you for it.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the local rescue. Care to PM me the details? I've heard a lot of stories, but thankfully I haven't had that experience myself. Good for you to find another group and still volunteering.
I've left 3 rescues so far due to the extreme politics, BS, and unethical actions. In one of those 3 groups, i left with half the board and a handful of volunteers and we started a new rescue. It's such a shame that so much of that exists in the rescue community. I'm a no-nonsense type of person and its not worth the stress and nerves to surround myself with bad seeds, especially since it's just volunteer work and I'm not getting paid to deal with that added crap.

I honestly can't wait until I am financially capable to start my own rescue, there's way too much unnecessary drama when it comes to a lot of organizations. I'd honestly prefer not to get into all the terrible details through PMs, if you'd love to meet up for coffee or something that'd be cool, Prime loves to go to Starbucks :) it's not all kittens and rainbows when it comes to rescues so that is why I urge the OP to do their research. Saving a life can be a very rewarding and joyful experience, so many people are under the assumption that all rescue dogs are broken but we know that couldn't be farther from the truth. Many animals in rescue are there at no fault of their own. Many were once loved house pets, just victims of a move, a new baby, or for behaving like a dog..

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I suppose in this case success would be that you didn't feel you needed to send the dog back?
I think success is when the potential owner is realistic enough to know what ownership really means in terms of time, commitment, finances etc. Too often owners-to-be forget that a dog, like a person, has a personality and needs someone who will understand that and can earn respect through a commitment not only for the first exciting few weeks but for a lifetime. So, if it is not a 'match made in heaven' and most things in life are not,....are you willing to work on it or are you one to return it and exchange for another?
I think a lot of people don't take a good look at themselves as to what their own needs are and how that may shortchange the dog.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
A minor clarification: a "shelter" can be either a public animal control facility or a private (often non-profit) group. Not every non-profit group has filed for 501(c)(3) status.

The private group may have kennel facilities, a mix of kennels and foster homes, or just foster homes.

Some public facilities have kennels and foster homes.

"All-breed" rescues take in any purebred or mixed breed. Some take in any domestic species of animal, some restrict themselves to dogs and cats.

While the term, "breed-specific rescue" implies that the organization takes in only those dogs of a specific breed, many of their members also take in other breeds and mixes. Some breed-specific groups are linked to the AKC-affiliated "parent club" for the breed, some are not.

For a first-time Dobe adopter, I recommend adopting from a DPCA-affiliated Doberman-specific rescue group that fosters their dogs in home environments. If the rescue is not affiliated with the DPCA, be sure to research it thoroughly--DobermanTalk.com is a good resource--and speak to people who have adopted dogs from it.

Forgot to mention: an "independent rescuer" is someone who takes in abandoned animals and is not affiliated with a rescue group or animal shelter. Some specialize in one breed, some specialize in one species, some rescue a mix of species and/or breeds.

---------------------
Disclosure: the Doberman-specific rescue group for which I volunteer is not affiliated with the DPCA, and has a mix of kennels and foster homes. We also rescue high-percentage Dobe-mixes if we have a place for them, which unfortunately, is rare.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Success?

I obtained both of my rescues from breeders in my province who also do rescue.

I think I have been successful in providing them with a loving home, a bed big enough for all of us, unlimited vet care, and many, many chews and stuffies. :D

I hope they are as happy with me as I am with them.

I have a girl who was to be euth'd by her owners almost 3 years ago now. She has even lived with cancer for the last 2.

I'd call that success, yes.

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Also, I have had over 40 adult fosters over the years. Much easier. Puppies are a lot of work! We have had several adults adopted from our organization go on to compete in agility and obedience. We screen carefully for all of our dogs and I'm comfortable stating that each of them gained fantastic families/homes.

A little secret of adult rescues...they are so very grateful for anything given to them. Blankets, meals, shelter, fresh water...it's the small things to some of these rescues that matter the most.
^^^^^ Well said, you all deserve a BIG hug...THkU, from the bottom of my heart !!

Great stories shared by all...NOW, WHERE ARE ALL THE RESUCE DOBE PHOTOS, to show off ??

1 - 20 of 38 Posts