Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6 pet rats I was breeding them for food for snakes but we no longer have snakes and we no longer breed but for some reason my breeding female has gotten very aggressive towards her daughter. They are the only ones in the cage. I am just wondering why? I have just seperated them because Nub the daughter has a big patch of hair missing from the side of her nose and theres a little bit of dry blood. None of my rats have every been alone so I'm not quiet sure what to do. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I had a pet rat a few years ago until it died........i dont know what to say about your problem thats strange to me i hope someone can help you!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use to have a red tail boa, corn snake, and ball python but I don't have them any more. Thats why I stopped breeding my rats. The red tail was getting aggressive because she was meant for breeding so we sold her to a lady who had another red tail. The bail python we sold to a breeder who was looking for females. The corn snake we sold because she wouldn't stay in here cage so always found a way out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Cool! I used to have two Ball Pythons, two Burmese Pythons and an African Sand Boa. The Sand Boa was a mean little bastard that a "friend" dumped off on us because he knew we kept reptiles. The Burmese Pythons always made me nervous, esp. the albino one we had, seeing as he had bitten Brian within the first week we got him. They were huge with Loki(albino) measuring almost 6 feet in length! I often had nightmares where they'd get loose and eat the cats. :eek11:

The Ball Pythons I really enjoyed though. If I had the time to properly care for them again, I'd certainly get them again, without a doubt. Unfortunatly, our house became the dumping grounds for reptiles when people no longer wanted them. Neither my husband or myself could turn any of them away seeing as where they might wind up so we overextended ourselves. It became too much with the iguana, monitor lizard, long tailed grass lizard, four turtles, several anoles and frogs on top of the snakes. It was hard but we found them all homes and afterward said 'No more reptiles!!'

·
Registered
521 Posts
Prettydobie said:
I use to have a red tail boa, corn snake, and ball python but I don't have them any more. Thats why I stopped breeding my rats. The red tail was getting aggressive because she was meant for breeding so we sold her to a lady who had another red tail. The bail python we sold to a breeder who was looking for females. The corn snake we sold because she wouldn't stay in here cage so always found a way out.

OMG!!! I'm not a fan of snakes!!! YOUR BRAVE!!! LOL Every time we watch a show about snakes I have to put my feet up in the chair.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When ever the red tail got one of her fangs or teeth stuck on her lower lip when she was tring to put her jaw back into place it was hell excuse my language. I always had my room mate un hook her lower lip from her fang ebcause when we grabbed her and pryed her mouth open to fix it she would rap around our arm and squeeze as hard as she could. My room mate was stronger then me so he totally understood why I wanted him to do it but afterwards when we had to get her back into her cage it took both of us to get her off of his arm. She also couldn't be taken out side because for some reason when she was outside she would strike at everyone who would pass her. LOL besides this she was great.

·
Registered
266 Posts
How large is your cage? Sometimes rats will become aggressive if they don't have enough space to get away from each other.

How old are the rats? Have they ever had any health problems? I would personally get the mom checked out by the vet. Often rats will be aggressive when they are not feeling well. Any signs of mites?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure how big the cage is it was given to me. One of my rats the daughter is about year or a little over a year old and I'm not sure about the mother I am guessing around 2. There are not mites I already checked.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well, if you can measure your cage, you can use the program here: http://www.kristinewickstrom.homestead.com/files/PanelApplet.html
to see if it is big enough.

With rats, bigger is always better. As I suggested before, I would take them both to the vet for exams. Rats hide illness very well and this may be a sign that one of them is not feeling quite right. If they've been living together for a year or so without fighting, are you sure they are actually fighting? Did you hear them squabbling? Squeaking? Shrieking? Rolling around? If one is "barbering" the hair off of the other's nose, it may just be a harmless case of over-grooming. You said you saw dried blood, did you see a cut? Are you sure it was blood and not porphyrin?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was blood. The mother rat had a bloody nose and the other one had a patch of hair and some dry blood missing from right above her nose. They have always fought but never this much and this bad. I heard it all. Sandy the mother rat will pin Nub the daughter rat down on her back and will not allow her to get up when ever she trys she lays into her. Right now I have them in seperate cages but the only problem with that is I am afraid that sanyd will chew her way out of the cage she is now and then my dog might get ahold of her. Sandy is in a cat carrier that I have taped the sides hoping to keep her from chewing on the sides. I will try to take photos and put them up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts