Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a small bag of the rabbit variety to add to Bronsons raw diet since I cant find any rabbit locally (unless I want to buy live rabbits, but I cant bring myself to kill an animal)
Actually rephrase that, I can find it locally... for $20 a pound.

Well I opened the bag and the patties are grey. Is it usually grey? Because the picture on the bag it is red.. and normally red meat is red....

Did I get a funktified bag?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I can't answer this as I don't feed it but I'll be interested in the answer and if whoever responds can speak to Nature's Variety Instinct as a whole I'd really appreciate it.

I have a bag and a half of puppy food left (bought in bulk for when I moved) and plan to start the switch to the NV:Instinct line once I'm almost out of his current stuff. I've heard nothing but good things about it so far but would love to hear more opinions.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I bought a small bag of the rabbit variety to add to Bronsons raw diet since I cant find any rabbit locally (unless I want to buy live rabbits, but I cant bring myself to kill an animal)

Well I opened the bag and the patties are grey. Is it usually grey? Because the picture on the bag it is red.. and normally red meat is red....

Did I get a funktified bag?
It can vary dependent on the type of meat and the age of the bag.

I tried my cat on the raw beef, which ended up going to the dog(what cat doesnt like raw meat! lol) and a client we are rehabing has his on the beef as well, it shouldnt be a solid gray gray but it is more of a dull red/gray while the chicken is deffinately more gray and sort of... hmmm I guess i'd say skin tone (which makes sense for the color of raw chicken), deffinately not the bright red fresh meat as perceived on the bag. (bummer right?!)

I have had no stomach issues and the bags are always more than fresh exp. date wise, as well as both mine and the 3 bags from our client all look the same.

So basically yes, if it still has some red/pink color to it it is fine and I think the color issue comes from the grinding and mixing of the meat from its original whole form.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Afterthought :
If it looks like it is still fresh in some way (like a bit of some color, no horendously foul smell etc..) and not a lifeless hunk of gray wet newspaper meat, from what I have seen of their raw products, that means it is still good....hope that helped clarify my ramblings a bit =)

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I mix in canned instinct to my dog's meals a few times a week..they love it! Can't speak for the raw patties.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You might pm Q734 as she is feeding the rabbit patties to her allergy girl. I believe the patties are grey and dont smell so great. Rabbit meat is more grey, not red. A grocery where I shop sells whole rabbit for $8 and it is grey. I have been feeding NVI for maybe a year and love it. I am always pushing NVI on the forum. Parker has food allergies and he has been able to eat the NVI Rabbit, Duck & Turkey and Salmon. Also fed him the NVPrairie Venison without any trouble. The NVI is 70% meat after processing whereas Acana is 60% meat before processing which means after the water is removed it is much lower than 60%. I do like Acana and feed it too. My experience with NV has been nothing but positive. You can sign up to recieve coupons. If you have a question, they get back by the next day, I believe it was the very next day with both my questions. Hope you have as good an experience as I and Parker have.:)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I was told by a dealer the rabbit in the raw is sourced from China and the rabbit in the kibble is sourced from New Zealand. I have not been able to get the rabbit kibble for three or more months. I can make sense out of them getting the kibble rabbit from New Zealand as it would be a meal instead of a meat. Dont know if that is correct tho. And reading the ingredients, I see the freeze dried r rabbit and FD rabbit bone that goes with the probiotics sprayed on the kibble after processing. Guess I will have to ask NV and find out if the dealer was correct or not. Thanks for bringing it up! FYI, the grocery store whole rabbit is from China.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Ugh, are you saying the coating on all the kibble has the rabbit in it? Not sure if I read that right?

I hate to give up on something that has made such a difference for my cancer girl.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
No, just the rabbit kibble. All the Instinct kibble has freeze dried meat of each formula sprayed on along with the probiotics. Hope that made sense, tired and brain starting to misfire...

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Yes the patties are greyish white, like chicken, sorta. Not noticing a smell w/the last batch I got.
I think my girl does better on the bison & venison, just a vague notion tho. I got a packet of rabbit medallions to wrap around pills for Khaza but damn I'm PISSED to know the rabbit is from FREAKING CHINA!!!
There is NO GOOD REASON to import raw rabbit from China!
I will stop buying it.

Thank you guys for mentioning it. xoxo

eta: Op you can get local rabbit for $20 per lb??? or were you talking about the NVI raw patties. Medallions are slightly less than patties. $20 sounds like an amazing price for NVI rabbit patties, but that's a moot point now for me anyway.

If local maybe they will dispatch them for you? I'd do that in a heartbeat than have chinese who knows what mixed in with raw rabbit. What a trip it would have to make for a critter we have no shortage of in the U.S.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Sure, there is... otherwise, it wouldn't be happening. Some years ago, the cost of rabbit feed began to go through the roof... the cost of a pound of imported rabbit was less than the cost of feed it takes to grow a pound of rabbit (just the feed itself, not even factoring in housing and water and labor and bedding and etc.). No one could afford to keep their rabbits, and briefly rabbit got cheap again as everyone dumped their breeding herds. Then, no one had rabbits at all! Domestic rabbit is beginning to be available again, even some reasonably priced rabbit, if you know where to look...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Are you hip to Creston Valley Meats, The Premier Processing Plant on the Central Coast I dunno nothin' about California geography, but Simon has a delivery calander thingie on his site that shows where he delivers... he goes up and down and here and there, and if he goes somewhere that is do-able for you, you could get rabbit (and all kinds of other stuff) for less than $5.00/lb.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I saw that right after I made this thread :/

Yes the patties are greyish white, like chicken, sorta. Not noticing a smell w/the last batch I got.
I think my girl does better on the bison & venison, just a vague notion tho. I got a packet of rabbit medallions to wrap around pills for Khaza but damn I'm PISSED to know the rabbit is from FREAKING CHINA!!!
I will stop buying it.

Thank you guys for mentioning it. xoxo

eta: Op you can get local rabbit for $20 per lb??? or were you talking about the NVI raw patties. Medallions are slightly less than patties. $20 sounds like an amazing price for NVI rabbit patties, but that's a moot point now for me anyway.

If local maybe they will dispatch them for you? I'd do that in a heartbeat than have chinese who knows what mixed in with raw rabbit. What a trip it would have to make for a critter we have no shortage of in the U.S.
Yeah it doesnt smell bad or anything. Just very grey, and when you break up the patties its a little pink in the middle. Bronson doesnt really like them anyway so I probably wont buy them again..
Sorry I meant local whole rabbit/ground rabbit I can only find for like $20 which is crazy expensive. Not any sort of dog food.

Are you hip to Creston Valley Meats, The Premier Processing Plant on the Central Coast I dunno nothin' about California geography, but Simon has a delivery calander thingie on his site that shows where he delivers... he goes up and down and here and there, and if he goes somewhere that is do-able for you, you could get rabbit (and all kinds of other stuff) for less than $5.00/lb.
Ooooh thanks for that. I will look into this.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Okay, just got off the phond with NV. The raw rabbit for the patties comes from China. The rabbit meal for the kibble comes from France. Drat, forgot to ask about the freeze drid rabbit and bone. Be right back!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, just got off the phond with NV. The raw rabbit for the patties comes from China. The rabbit meal for the kibble comes from France. Drat, forgot to ask about the freeze drid rabbit and bone. Be right back!
Does any of their other ingredients come from China? Or just the rabbit?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This local pet store I used to go to, the guy there didn't recommend NV because they had a history of a lot of recalls. He recommended Stella & Chewys.
Wonder if it has to do with where they source their ingredients

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've been feeding Ivan Instinct mixed with kibble for two weeks now. So far he's had Lamb and Bison. Never noticed a smell. The stuff definitely has a grey look to it, but I attributed it to everything being ground up and into it. Ivan loves the two varieties he's had so far.

Also, yeah that the kibble rabbit doesn't come from China! I feed it to my allergic cat (plus two more for convenience) and she was doing really well on it.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Alrighty now, the freeze dried rabbit and FD rabbit bone are sourced here in the U.S. Venison and lamb are sourced from New Zealand.//////Hank, I imagine the vitamins come from China as that is where most all vitamins originate now. I wouldnt think NV would source anything else from China, but that is only my opinion. Why dont you call them this time at 888 519 7387.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Maybe I am wrong, but I find that hard to believe about NV having a history of recalls. I have been following recalls, first on the FDA site and now on Susan Thixtons The Truth About Pet Food for probably the last 3 or 4 years. I dont remember ever hearing of a recall or a warning being issued concerning any of the Natures Variety products. That question can be addressed on the comment/question part of the Dog Food Advisor site I have below. The questions go below the NVI product in question review.:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts