Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering....I haven't seen a lot of posts about shows or training for different levels, etc.

Storm and I are training for Open. She hates the dumbbell but is learning to get over it...finally :dancing_b Feels good, we just got home from class and she was taking it really well!

·
Banned
675 Posts
I have in the past. It's my goal to compete in obedience with Monte. I got him at four months, took him to puppy kindergarten class, then on to beginning and intermediate obedience classes. I quit those classes because we were just spinning our wheels, it wasn't what I needed to train for competiton. Now I need to find that sort of trainer, preferably with either small classes or even private sessions.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
like I mentioned in the other post I forgot to go to the trial! so until I see what other dogs are like...I can't really decide if Duchess is skillful enough to start competing....I always get very intimidated! but in the process of developing a new hobby :)

·
Extraordimary
5,011 Posts
I do. I've put CDs on 8 of my Dobermans, the latest being 2 weeks ago. That one is now training in open and he and I start agility tomorrow morning at 8 am (and here it is 12:30 am. Man, I should be in bed!)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I compete in confirmation and O.B. with Tia and Mischa will follow in her paw prints.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
We train in obedience at the open level. We also do rally advanced. And agility. We have also started tracking and other things at the Sch club.
My puppy goes to two puppy K classes and conformation classes. She is also doing puppy tracking, just for fun.
We stay busy.

·
Premium Member
11,143 Posts
I've had dogs in Obedience since the 60's. Recently I retired the active dog--he is an AKC and CKC champion with a CD RA OA AXJ and some titles in non-AKC agility and who is trained for TD level AKC tracking and who may conceivably get a tracking title yet. I was working on Open with him until I realized that I couldn't let him keep jumping anymore.

My young dog who recently finished his AKC championship also has his RA and is training in agility and (we hope) almost ready to run. I'll be training the fine points for his CD this fall and winter and working on the excercises for RE.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We're going to the Capital City Cluster shows in mid-August, in Topeka, KS. Ava and Storm will be in Rally Advanced, and are both entered in Novice B. I might enter Storm in Open if the next 2 weeks go really well....but we'll see!

I'm glad to hear there are others here who compete. Storm and I did some tracking last year and she has great aptitude for it, but it's my fault that we don't get out to practice that. Ava will be phenomenal in agility once I learn to keep up with her. I had really hoped to get a VCD1 at least with Storm, but with her knees I'm not thinking it's wise to let her do any agility, even at the lowest levels. Not worth it!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I've shown my last dobe in obedience and rally, and did tracking and some drafting with him.

My current dog is a work in progress - he's training in so many disciples i get paralyzed by the thought. Agility, tracking, obedience, possibly some bite work, and flyball....

·
Registered
880 Posts
doberkim said:
I've shown my last dobe in obedience and rally, and did tracking and some drafting with him.

My current dog is a work in progress - he's training in so many disciples i get paralyzed by the thought. Agility, tracking, obedience, possibly some bite work, and flyball....

wow! how do you keep up with all that??

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
I bought Velma to do obedience with and got side tracked with the breed ring. Since she retired from the breed ring, I've put a CD on her. We started training in open this past spring, but my obedience trainer takes the summer off so I have been lazy and not working with her much. We will pick it up in the fall again. I'm in no big rush and figure that she will not be ready for open for at least another year. She is happy to go get the dumbell, but then wants to go chew on it.

Louise is barely trained......concentrating on conformation with her for now. There will be time to worry about obedience later.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Obedience etc..

I put numerous obedience titles on Duncan; he also got his TD. We were just about to start competing in agility when he was diagnosed with DCM. I'm just about ready to apply for his versatility title with the UDC.

I've also put 3 rally obedience titles on my friend's dobe Jake.

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
I just wanted to add that Velma is the first Doberman that I've put a title on other than a CGC or Therapy Dog Certification. She is pretty much my learning dog, and I'm sure I've made plenty of mistakes.......but fewer than I did with my first Doberman........I keep learning with each one.

I love obedience training and trialing, but don't have much time for it. I figure that by the time I am on about my 4th or 5th Doberman, my kids will be almost grown, and I might actually have the time to do it. I'd love to be into it more, but I also would hate to miss out on kid activities.

With Louise, the breed ring comes first for now. When that is done, we will get serious about obedience.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
velmadobe said:
I love obedience training and trialing, but don't have much time for it. I figure that by the time I am on about my 4th or 5th Doberman, my kids will be almost grown, and I might actually have the time to do it. I'd love to be into it more, but I also would hate to miss out on kid activities.
I can relate to the time constraints. While we don't have children (and no plans for any), we have horses and that comes first for both the time and financial commitments. We both work full time and travel frequently for horse shows. We only get to train once a week for obedience and once a week for agility...if we're lucky. And I'm lucky to have these girls who are so willing and eager to learn and progress despite my lack of discipline when it comes to setting a time to train every day!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
i agree - my biggest constraint is timing and finances -
bowie was my first competition dog, and i was training and showing him through vet school (not an easy feat, i hadnt held a job for 2 years and was living off loans!), and his competitive lifestyle was during my clinical rotations - meaning i had to arrange my schedule for 2 days off here and there for shows. not easy, but im proud to say that i did it :) some of the drs that knew what i was doing used to mock myself and one other girl who showed her dogs - because we would do 4 overnights in a row and get no sleep just to have a 3 day weekend to go to a dog show!

rah is my newest comp dog - and training is always a problem. ive gone from a vet student with no time and no job, to a brand new vet with no time and ridiculous loans that her full time job barely cover it seems :) but we scrimp and save - much of the training is laying foundations right now, learning directionals, targetting, building drive and using that to focus on what i need him to do. baby tracks, basic obedience, focus, attentionwork. im sure if he lived with some big trainers, hed be titled already - hes stuck with me though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts