Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently bought a 7 week old doberman male. My question is regarding his tail: At first appearance it looks fine, however there's enough loose skin after the last remaining vertibrae to cover at least 1-2 more vertibrae of tail bone. Is there supposed to be that much extra at his age?

We have an adult female dobie, and her tail (bone and muscles) adequately fill up all the of skin "pouch". I'm not really sure how it SHOULD look at 7 weeks, because we got her at about 3.5 months.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I'd far rather see loose skin on the end of a tail than tight skin at any age. I've known grown dogs who had what felt like a powder puff at the end of their docked tails--it's just some excess skin.

I've also seen puppies end up needing corrective surgery on tail ends because the skin was so tight it pressed against a tail end (usually one that hadn't been docked at a joint but between joints) and a neuroma formed there.

Ask your vet about it if the puppy is bothering it though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. It's not bothering him. Just checking if it was something I should seek immediate attention over. I'll just have the vet look at his next visit though since its not something I should stress about. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts