Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our little doberboy is due on June 28th, and we are preparing for his arrival.

Maddox's (the name we like today lol) mother LOVES water, and according to the breeder, her puppies seem to have the same attraction to it...

I have a group of friends who dock diving with their dogs, 2 labs, a german shorthaired pointer, and a jack, and I was wondering if any of you have ever done dock diving with your dobes?

We are a water activity family, and I think that if the puppy liked it, we would like to try it.

Any experience?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
'Dock dogs' was at an event I was at recently and some dogs seemed to love it, but most of them wouldnt jump in at all :eek: I didnt even enter my boy because I knew there was no hope in hell. Most people who were certain their dogs would do it would not, infact from standing there watching for ages I only sore a couple of dogs jump- and I was sure some of them fell in by accident! :D I've never seen a dobe do it.

I'm not sure if there is an age limit on the age a dog can compete, but when they had it set up here it was quite a BIG drop into the water. I'd guess you'd just wanna make sure your pup was confident in the water incase she got spooked :)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, we would def wait until he was older, and only if he seems eager to do it... I am not going to throw my dog off the end of the dock lol, if we wants to jump, thats up to him lol. We are pretty outdoorsy, lots of camping and boating and beach days... so hopefully he will just naturally go for it lol.

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Thank you for those links!

Yeah, the breeder said that with his mom loving water, he might be more interested in it... I hope so.

We are going to be moving to Florida in the very near future, so there will be a lot of water in his life lol.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yeah, we would def wait until he was older, and only if he seems eager to do it... I am not going to throw my dog off the end of the dock lol, if we wants to jump, thats up to him lol. We are pretty outdoorsy, lots of camping and boating and beach days... so hopefully he will just naturally go for it lol.
In the Lucas link I posted it says how they got their dobe to do it. If you start slow you should have no problems.
Last summer Bronson was only 6 months old and scared of the water. But loved to float around on a raft lol. Hopefully this summer now that hes a year old we can work on it better. Esp now that he loves fetch.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
If you go to that website the second dog down (Hudson Valley Dock Diving) is Bacchus' 1/2 sister Alley (CH Briarwood Backstreet Girl CD RN OA OAJ WAC ROM. She is a cousin to Lois' Baron here at DT.

Now bearing that in mind.....

Bacchus HATES!!!! water. I don't know about Baron, but the only way you could get Bacchus off that dock would be to toss him. :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
I think that Dobes aren't naturally a water dogs like the retrievers who go out of their way to find water and swim.

I've had to clicker shape going into water with my pup, and she swims now :) Shes a tennis ball FREAK and I tossed the ball about foot in- she had to get her toes wet to get it. Clicked and threw a PARTY...treats, praise, lots of lovin.. as soon as those toes hit the water. I just gradually increased the distance that she had to go to get her ball.. she'll go out about 20 feet now, and when she's hot she'll wade in up to her chest on her own accord. I imagine the people who are into the sport have a way of teaching the jump off the dock and that big drop so it doesn't spook dogs. Maybe theres dock diving forum you can check out!

Good luck with your baby! I'm hoping to water certify in human remains detection with Callie, so thats why we're getting used to water :)

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
My dobes LOVE the water and we bred one whose owner is very into dock diving. Incredible Caper is actually a dock diving champion. Here are a few pics of her and her daughter Doozie practicing at home. Her sire, F'Hiram Abif Royal Bell was a huge water lover and a great swimmer!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I am probably the last person to give advice on "how to get a dobe, to like water".
But, I am going to try harder with my next pup.

First I intend to get a kiddy pool and throw in a yellow rubber ducky toy...and play with puppy, in the shallow water.
Amy's first attempt at swimming was at a cottage and my son called her in the water with him.
As she had a great recal, she jumped in, without hesitation.
- unfortantly, the first time she should of had a life vest on / instead she swam under the dock...while getting traped of oxygen depletion
We saved our girl, but without webbed feet and a sinking heavy chest, next dog will be water trained...in confident baby steps.

Years later we were at a dog charity event, and each dog got to pick a free stuffy out of the kiddy pool / Amy took 5 minutes of encouragement, to get her prize.
The water was a half foot deep...lol.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I dont know alot of dogs seem to like it but I would be so afraid some of those jumps are so extreme. One wrong twist and I could see a potential major injury. We just bought a kiddie pool to get Bella used to playing in water with the hopes that she will like to swim in our pool. So far she LOVES it. Maybe too much as we fill it once a day and once she gets started going in it it's hard to get her out. She just really stands in it and makes waves by moving then tries to gulp the water but it's so funny to watch. I'm hoping she loves the real pool just as much. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Dobertwink here on DT is currently doing dock diving with her girl. Maybe PM her to get ideas about training and competitions in your area?

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
wow! thank you all for the wonderful advice! And the pictures! I loveee pictures lol.

Because the litter is due in June, our breeder said he may come to us with water already being hsi favorite thing. She has a kiddie pool for Brie, and apparently, it is impossible to keep her out of it. If you do not fill the kiddie pool, she gets into the horses' water tub lol. Melissa said she had a fortune teller lady come to the house one time for one of her nieces bday parties of something, and the lady walked in and immediately said, this is going to sound really strange, but someone named Brie says you forgot to fill her pool this morning? That is crazy! LOL.

But it is likely that by 10 weeks, he will have joined his mother in the kiddie pool at some point or another... if not, I hope he learns to love it, because it his a huge part of my life.

Is there a high risk for injury though? I do not want to do anything that could potentially cause the pup any pain of injury! I know there are different levels and heights and what not for the docks, maybe its best we stick to the smaller ones?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts