Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my insurance agent yesterday to get some reductions on my auto and home owner's insurance. I mentioned that I was in the area and waiting for my pup to get out of surgery at the animal hospital. She asked what type of dog we had, in which I replied " a blue doberman". Her response was "uh oh, I'm going to cover my ears and pretend that I didn't hear that...", she then checked some list of dogs and basically said not to report that we have a doberman for a pet. She also advised that we not hang any "beware of dog" signs anywhere. She asked if he was kept outside or in, I told her he is housebroken and only goes out back to relieve himself. I didnt' carry on the conversation any further and changed the subject. Can anyone tell me what this is about? :confused: I'm assuming :thinking: that insurance companies classify dobermans as vicious animals :cwmddd: and have a high risk of biting or attacking someone on the premisis but I could be wrong....:picknose:

Thanks

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
When I bought my house 10 years ago my agent told me the same thing, don't mention that I had a doberman. She also told me to never post any "beward of dog" signs and it's a liability as you are advertising the fact that you are aware that you have a dangerous dog.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Dobermans are on the black list of most Insurance companies along with several other breeds. There are some companies that will insure them - State Farm is one of them and they have all my business because of it.

BSL (breed specific legislation) is a danger to many breeds ours included - we all need to be involved and pro-active to change this.

As far as the "beware of dog" type signs - the agent is absolutely correct! NEVER put up a sign like that unless you truly do have a dangerous animal. In todays society where people will sue for anything it is like waving a flag admiting liability. Instead, use a sign that says something like " Dobermans at Play" . I have a sign that says "Please Close Gate". I've seen signs that say "all dogs microchiped". These kinds of signs give a heads up that there are dogs on your property without any indication that they are in ANY way dangerous.

·
Registered
94 Posts
In 1998, my husband and I bought a small seasonal motel across from an amusement park (so it was very busy in the summer). We purchased our first dobie that summer and when our insurance agent came by (he was a very good friend) he made us add that to our policy.(it was something like $25) He also told us never to put up a Beware sign because it signifies that you know your dog bites!! Two years later we bought a larger motel and because our agent knew Utah was harmless and everyone loved him he never bothered with the info on the new policy. We even had a man from the company come by and "check" and make sure all the info was correct and he never mentioned the dog. I had never heard of this but he did tell us that certain insurance companies have a list of "dangerous dogs"!!!! Ridiculous I know!
I told them both that I was more capable of biting than my dog!!!:)

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I would be afraid of signs stating "dobermans at play" or "all dogs microchipped" for the theft factor. In that instance you are advertising the fact that you think you have valuable dogs.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I like that idea of a "Doberman at Play". I'm going to look into getting one of those!

I'm glad I read this, although I knew about the insurance. I didn't even THINK about the beware of dog sign. Because I was going to get one. For the simple fact that if someone did try to get in my home and Bruno happened to do something to them. I didn't want it to come back to me. However I believe if anyone is bit on my property, it was for good reason. So I like the Doberman at play better!

The insurance thing I knew and yeah, it's because Dobes are "vicious" and sometimes they won't insure you, or I think you have to pay higher price. We didn't mention we had Bruno when we got our home owner insurance.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
There are a lot of companies that blacklist. I had a fun time looking around for insurance when I bought my house. I refuse to use any insurance that has a list for anything. They can make surprise visits around your property and are known for it. If they catch sight of a listed animal, they will drop you.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have owned and been in the same house for over 11 years. I even have a very good rapport with my agent. In 2005 when I decided to adopt a Dobe, I checked on my insurance web site and did a search for which dogs were "prohibited." I printed out the page and kept for my own records. It stated that they will not insure owners of Wolf Hybrids, Rottweilers, Chow Chow, American Pit Bull Terriers/Am Staff or Akitas or any mix of any of the breeds listed. No where in my search were Dobermans listed, even after doing a search of the word Doberman. I personally feel it is my business, but you never know if a dog will bite. Dogs AND people are unpredictable. I have postd a NO TRESPASSING sign. Basically enter at your own risk.........THE RISK BEING ME AND MY 9mm!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would think that the Beware of Dog sign would be a deterrent to keep someone away who does not want to get bit. A good example for me would be with our mail man. He likes to deliver the mail in the rear of the house as he can cut through all of the neighbors back yards via mine. I have a gate which he politely opens and shuts. My fear would be not putting up a sign, letting kilo out back to do his business (back yard is cement, 30ft long by 8ft wide, and you go up some steps towards a hilly grassy area which flattens at the top), and kilo is standing at the top of the grassy flat area where he can't easily be seen from the cement part below, and the mail man delivers the mail unknowingly aware that Kilo is back there, and maces him in fear that Kilo will attack once he notices the mail man. We have not trained him to be mean or vicious and if anything if he is running up to you, it is to play but that is hard to interpret for many people who would see a dobie running at them, even a pup.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I went through the same crap. I found a policy that let me have them both for about $35 a month. (State Farm) I don't think Dobermans were on our blacklist eaither. But They still made us pay extra.

I have heard I will need to insure any doberman I put through Schutzhund. Or the local club won't take me. I have to look into this more. I don't know much about it.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
It is also a good idea to get a CGC on your dog. Some insurances look highly on them. A lady at my training club had to get one on her rottie and turn it into the insurance so she could keep her.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
We have Erie Insurance, and they are great about our dogs, dobie included. In fact the branch manager out this way has a doberman ;) Before them, I can't remember who we had, but they didn't allow dobermans either.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Actually, I have done periodic checks on the American Family Insurance web site and they no longer have the list available like they did before. Now they have a good page about proper selection of a pet, training, etc...

Rudi and I start intermediate obedience/agility this weekend. I personally feel he is ready for his Canine Good Citizen..........I've gone thru the 10 steps with Rudi just about on an every day basis and he hasn't missed a beat. I will have our obedience trainer decide.......since she will not be partisan! LOL and can tell me truthfully if he is ready. The more I can arm him with the better.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
It is also a good idea to get a CGC on your dog. Some insurances look highly on them. A lady at my training club had to get one on her rottie and turn it into the insurance so she could keep her.
Nationwide will insure dogs on the blacklist if they have a CGC - I'm not sure if this is true in all states, but I believe they do in PA.

As far as a sign advertising the fact that you have valuable dogs - I do think about this too as I do have valuable dogs. I never leave them outside by themselves for all kinds of reasons.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Nationwide will insure dogs on the blacklist if they have a CGC - I'm not sure if this is true in all states, but I believe they do in PA.
It is the same here. I believe that was her insurance company.

CGC is Canine Good Citizen. It is a test that you do with your dog to prove that they are a well behaved dog. Here is more information- http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/training_testing.cfm

Reactions: jeromejenkins

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think owning a Doberman should give you a reduction in the cost of your insurance. Any potential intruder would think twice after seeing those ears in the window (because they can't see that nubby tail wagging!!).

·
Registered
151 Posts
We have Farmers Insurance. I just checked and they have no list of dogs that will cause you to be rated. My agent told me if you are an existing customer and get any dog, no problem you are insured. But he did go on to say, if we bought a new home in a year and had three Rotts that they would look into it such as bits or reported incidents and go from there. I asked in that situation if the dog(s) had their CGC CD or TDI would that affect it and he said that they do take in consideration obedience training and awards if they are considering rating you.

He did not say anything about posting warning signs, but thank you to all who posted. It gave good insight about the increased risk of theft as well as litigation.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts