Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... So I know dogs release heat other ways besides sweating but when they lay outside in sun (and get that dog smell) is that their skin possibly releasing oils?or do I just have stinky dog? Lol Can black dogs fade from sun? I wouldn't know because phoenix is inside sleep on mommys bed kinda dog. lol just curious

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I find that the people with the stinkiest dogs are always the ones that give them the most baths. The people that don't over-bathe their dogs are the ones that never stink.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I don't know about that Kevin. I tried to hold off two weeks without bathing our girl and honestly I couldn't sit in the same room with her and that was even after just using cologne to try and hold out on bathing to not dry out her skin. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and gave in and bathed her. I have never ever in my life had such a stinky wigglebut dog before. lol. My other dogs can go weeks, maybe even a month without a bath, but this one, no way. I can't even describe the smell its horrendous. I am constantly washing her blankets and crate pads because the smell even gets on those. I don't get it. We feed a high quality food and treats and none of my other dogs smell like this. I'm hoping it's just a puppy thing. Otherwise I'm gonna start wearing nose plugs. lol. I feel your pain Phoenix.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
It can also be from what your dog is eating. Nutrition plays a big part in their appearance and smell. Can dogs coat fade in the sun? Yes. It all depends on how long they stay out, and what supplements they take. One summer chase had golden highlights, the other summer I put him on a coat enhancer, and he stayed a very deep liver color.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I've only had reds that faded. one worse than the other BUT he had very very low thyroid. I can "smell" what I call a hot or sun smell when all the dogs have been sunbathing but it's not an odor at all.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,469 Posts
Kip often feels sort of damp when I scratch him; I've been told it is a sign of allergies or skin trouble. But he doesn't stink or even smell much at all. He is very rarely bathed, and only for cause (something gets on his coat), not on a schedule.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I would check for a skin issue or what you are feeding. Since feeding raw my dogs do not have that doggie smell they used to have.

·
The DogFather
377 Posts
Atlas is 1. Bathed every 7-10 days. Doesn't usually stink, he gets bathed because he's covered in mud...the dog park gives him a nice coating of dirt/mud and sand on his nakey skin...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Atlas is 1. Bathed every 7-10 days. Doesn't usually stink, he gets bathed because he's covered in mud...the dog park gives him a nice coating of dirt/mud and sand on his nakey skin...
Does he get bathed with shampoo? Chase gets really muddy, but I really don't want to bathe him at all. It strips the natural oils and makes the skin tight and flaky. So I wait for the mud to dry, get a soft brush, and flick the dirt off, then wipe with a dry towel.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've only had reds that faded. one worse than the other BUT he had very very low thyroid. I can "smell" what I call a hot or sun smell when all the dogs have been sunbathing but it's not an odor at all.
I think your sun smell is what I'm trying to describe! I just don't know what kinda smell it is. I didn't know thyroid could be related to fading... That is interesting. I'm sure my boy isn't out enough to fade but just made me curious as I saw him laying outside.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I find that the people with the stinkiest dogs are always the ones that give them the most baths. The people that don't over-bathe their dogs are the ones that never stink.
Our girl doesn't stink or even smell and only been bathed 2x in 11 years...due to skunk encounter...lol.

Agree with KevinK, plus a most healthy diet helps a lot to.
- if your kibble purchase is made up of heads & beak chicken by-products & corn / dog may smell like ground up chicken bums (you are what you eat)
- our breeder advised against regular baths (drys out the skin)...just use a spray bottle of water and Avon skin-so-soft (if need be)
(but we don't have to, Amy always smells clean)

·
The DogFather
377 Posts
Does he get bathed with shampoo? Chase gets really muddy, but I really don't want to bathe him at all. It strips the natural oils and makes the skin tight and flaky. So I wait for the mud to dry, get a soft brush, and flick the dirt off, then wipe with a dry towel.
Yes, with shampoo.

It's usually a quick once over but with shampoo yes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts