Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
I once sold pet food part time, for over a decade...only Holistic-human grade & organic treats.

Former Amy was my wing-man partner (and Therapy dog) and I would let potential customers smell her breath.
(a solid sales tactic)
- this Dad would hold her mouth open, for others to take a sniff
- people use to say: "I don't get it, what am I suppose to smell"?
- Beau would say: "nothing, no stink of heads & beaks & ground up chicken bums"
- and often I'd have a new customer

Once a new customer had a Boxer with bad facial mange. My supplied food, took 85% of the mange away, but 15% still bothered me. So I said, "show me your treats"? / it was the bad Milk Bone type (with dead stock meat & dyes)...so changing all sources of food, fixed the dogs health.

I'm with dobebug - grain free contributed to our last pups soft stools / might me marketing hype...
- so what if zero grains, only for the formula to be full of cheap potato-starch fillers (for example) ?

And Coco Loco feeds RAW - from what I heard, it really is a most healthy choice / once past the learning curve.

PS - I've heard good things about the Kirkland premium kibble (for those on a budget) ...never used it though.
- while we buy Costco 100% Liver treats (dried) & USA made
- cheap kibbles often have corn sugars & salt added, to make it taste better / dogs can get use to it, like our caffeine addiction to coffee ...taste just isn't always a good sign of goodness or ingredient quality
- also many cheap kibbles contain "Beet Pulp" / a stool stabilizer, that is not good for dogs intestine health

And I'm sure - taking actions to strengthen a pets immune system is also key to a clean smell of health.
- so don't over vaccinate either

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Gamer - I think I have come up with a good test - to see what may - may not be causing the gas problem -

Have you SO start eating only what you fed your dog ! Say 2 cup's in the morning - 2 in the evening - NO other foods for him ! Then see if he can clear out the check out line ! If he don't - then it's something else other than the dog food !

Disclaimer : 5 years ago - we had the same problem with Big , Big girl - so I only ate her food ! Around day 4 - I stopped into Wal-Mart to pick up a few things - going back to the truck - I stopped to pee on a car tire and some dumba-- hit me ! Put me in the hospital for 5 days ! :crying:>:)>:)>:)

Tell SO to be careful !

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Don't know about ya'all but I'm getting worried about Gamer...no word for 5 days.
Gamer you OK.....just check'in in to make sure nothing life threatening is happening in "Gasville" >:)
Sorry but this is just the best thread ever......I have been monitoring Hoss's gasline this week ........once a day for us......when he beds down for the night.......he delivers us 1 doozy 7:30 to 8PM primetime TV time.........of course.

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Once a day for us......when he beds down for the night.......he delivers us 1 doozy 7:30 to 8PM primetime TV time.........of course.

OK Di - I think I can also help you too ! When Hoss cracks one - pull the covers over his head - aka - the Dutch Oven ! lmao He'll come out from under them in 2 shakes of a puppies tail !

From

I'm not right - lol

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Ya know......just because...I am ...shall we say "special" I am gonna try your suggestion .........so stay tuned for a dutch oven fart update ! >:)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@LadyDi, I liiiive! lol! Thanks for the concern!

We have survived the Doberman Gas Attack of 2018, y'all. I don't know what it was, but Zeus's Stink Phase has passed! My absence was not due to suffocation via MegaDobieFarts and FritoPaws (thank goodness). In all seriousness though, I don't know what caused his super smelly gas or what ended it. He was still eating soggy food up until yesterday as he was cleared for regular doggy food and chew stuff from the dentist (thank GOD). Gas is gone. Smelly breath is gone. He smells like... nothing! Hip, hip, hooray!

I'm just glad he's back to normal. I can't believe he's 8 months though!! I look at pictures of him from December/January and can't believe how much he's grown.

Happy news! Hubby and I had to go out of state unexpectedly for about two weeks, and I was a nervous wreck leaving Zeus with my mom cuz... you know. Teenage-ish dobie. He tests the boundaries. Mom and dad are good at keeping him in his place, but how will he act at grandma's? I left extensive notes on his routine and the commands he knows and should follow. But of course I worried. Would he bark/whine at night because he's not in his usual sleeping spot? Will he listen to mom? (My dad didn't want anything to do with him, btw. I'm pretty sure he's scared of Zeus, and for no reason!) Will he be a good boy or a hardheaded brat? My mom gave me updates and pictures/videos everyday. Zeus was amazing! She told me she couldn't believe how well-behaved he was and how well he listened to her. Even my brother and sister in law, who had to take over for a small while, told me that he was incredibly trained. I'm so, so, SO glad we had gone through obedience training. We still have a long way to go before he passes his Canine Good Citizen, and we're still attending training every week, but it's awesome to know that all the hard work has paid off and others are reaping the reward of a good doberman!

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
I don't know what it was, but Zeus's Stink Phase has passed!

So sorry to hear this :frown3:

Glad he is doing great ! :grin2:

Ken

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
I don't know what it was, but Zeus's Stink Phase has passed!

So sorry to hear this :frown3:

Glad he is doing great ! :grin2:

Ken
Ditto Ken....sorry the condition ended ...this has been the funniest thread EVER!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dobie farts, glad I'm not alone. He eats , EVERYTHING. The old lady dog, taught him that, ..I think. He has a regular stool, when he's not eating, poop, green tomatoes, raspberries, you name it. I started him on TOTW, as a puppy, looking to put him on an adult quality food. Confused by the grain free warning, about heart disease.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts