Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about your experiences in general...

I have had 3 dobies. 2 of the 3 have had dog/dog aggression issues.

My first dobie spoiled me I think..... Lira had no issues that I can recall. I knew very little, next to nothing about the breed or dog training. Never really trained her. She just sort of figured it all out.

My second Kali was a wild thing. I got her from a breeder in Canada when she was 4 months old. I was told she was well socialized. Well, she was pretty and very sweet but very insecure and very shy. I was lucky to find an amazing dog trainer and got her into classes right away. She had a very strong prey drive. She hated anything that moved fast…..skateboarders, bike riders and roller bladers. Despite our hard work she nipped several people and was dog aggressive. The problems started with a false pregnancy and progressed from there. I had her spade and things got a bit better. It took until she was about 3 and many many hours of very hard work. Her aggression was situational. I never trusted her but did learn to manage her in the situations she was known to have trouble with.

My boy Willie is a sweetie. He is very secure and self-confident. He loves and trusts any and all humans from the time he was a tiny puppy. I swear I think he would let Jack the Ripper in the house. He does however have some mild to occasionally moderate dog/dog aggression issues. He absolutely hates puppies. His issues have gotten better over the years with alot of work and are now quite manageable.

I am just wondering how many of you have dobies that are dog friendly or if not friendly at least tolerant of other dogs.

I can't help but wonder if I just got very lucky the first time around. I am in the process of looking around for a reputable breeder for a puppy or possibly a rescue and am curious about what others experiences are.

Thanks,

Leslie

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ajax used to get excited when he would see other dogs but I put a stop to that with lots of hard work. But it was all in play mostly I just figured he was just being a puppy, as he has matured his focus has improved a thousand fold, that coupled with the fact that my handling skills have vastly improved also =P.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
My two love other dogs. The smaller the better. They see small dogs as the greatest toy inventions. The larger ones it takes Asher a bit longer to completely warm up to because he has had bad experiences with a few. But with aggression, no. Not unless they are in the defense, then will a little grumble be let out. Otherwise they love to see and meet new dogs with nubs wagging. That is my experience.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
We got Duchess from a reputable breeder...and we socialized her alot...she is wonderful and perfect in large crowds for sure and in public...she allows anyone to come in the house...and will sit on anybody's lap if they let her. The only time that she shows that she could have been socialized more (you can never socialize enough right:) is if she is coming up to complete strangers that seem hesitant around her....she gets weirded out when there is only a couple of people and all eyes seem to be on her. still she would never show any aggression other than a low growl...now when we are out and about I have a new rule, I don't mind people petting her as long as they arent hesitant and unsure about it...especially if they are COMPLETE strangers at a new park...it rubs off too much on Duch...although duchess is a very loving friendly outgoing girl...she also is a timid girl and scares easily...so if she looks uncomfortable about meeting some people we say forget it. Too many people come up to duchess that SLOWLY CREEP UP...asking to pet her...with this side of doubt but curiousity.

with dogs...
Duchess is very friendly with dogs...on or off leash. Sometimes with little dogs she will want to pounce and play...so I have to watch to make sure she doesnt try to pounce and end up ON the dog. At the dog park she loves the other dogs that chase her! They can never catch her! lol. But other than that she will just trot next to another dog. She has very good manners when it comes to how she meets another stranger dog. however, she does not like dogs that try to hump her...or come on to strongly. She has had a problem with the boxers she meets since they seem to be too interested in her in that way. She will just try to scare them away with a little growl and charge for two steps to get them away. Duchess is trained well and likes to stay by my side if she isnt having fun being chased by another dog. so if she does get into a situation where she trys to scare off a dog that is being overpowering she will take her two steps to scare him off and then come back to my side. So I think training is a real important part for the dog to have confindence and trust with themselves and you to be there.
Other than that Duchess is awesome with humans and dogs....I realized while writing this that duch is kinda a cameleon(sp) if the person is nervous she is nervous...if the dog is rude she is rude...but she never is the one to be nervous in the beginning or being rude in the beginning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts