Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Where Does your Dobe Get Acne?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Whose got it and where!?

I have to get LoKi another non stainless bowl, the last glass one broke in the move so we are using the stainless steel which we believe is causing him acne on his chin.

He also has a couple on his nose/eyes by his gentle leader dryness.

any other thoughts and advice?

We finally started him on oatmeal shampoo to help the rest of his body.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Our girl Raven gets in on her chin the most.. We are using a plastic bowl and I know it is not the best, but she will not eat from anything else. She also get some on her body here and there once in a while. Now our other dobermans don't get them at all, Just Poor Raven..Spirit has a infected rash on his chest right now but the vet thinks it is from a sting from a bug. now he is on meds for 10 days.. Poor dog!
Dobermans Rule!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Lexy never got any, however I had a rescue lab/dane cross that got it on his chin from eating those greasy real bones from the pet store.

·
Banned
375 Posts
my female got it down around her vulva... and we had to wash her with some medication to get rid of it... hmmm im guessing that counts as body.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You might also try wiping their chin after they eat, use a combination of 1/3rd Listerine, 1/3rd water and 1/3rd Glycerin. That might help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Acne

My Dobermans have never had acne. I have also been told not to let them eat or drink from plastic. I have stainless steel bowls, started out with stainless steel. I have had Dobe's for 20 years and never had one with acne.
Maybe just lucky, or could it be the food & water dish?

·
Registered
323 Posts
GKar has never had them but I have always used stainless steel and wiped his beak, but just with a dry paper towel

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Winston sometimes gets some on his face/head but not often....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yikes i didnt know that it was acne which Harvey had on his chin. I feed and water from a plastic bowel but thats gonna change from now on.

What causes it?

Is the acne harmfull painfull to them in anyway?

How can i get rid of it? if heres a way?

~Nicola

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nicola, your plastic bowls hold bacteria. Change to stainless steel or ceramic. You might want to wipe his chin with warm water after eating.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
No acne here, and ceramic bowls for food and water...

Is acne found mostly in dogs fed from plastic or is it also hereditary?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
No Acne Here.
I use stainless steel bowls and wipe chin after eating.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo), CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron #1
18,192 Posts
Baron has had acne on his chin on and off since we got him at 13 months. Have always used stainless steel bowls. Wipe his chin off in the a.m. with wipes from the vet and just a warm napkin at nights. That seems to keep it in check. My other 2 males used to have it on and off but my female Dax never did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My red when he was young up to about 2 years would get it all over his body.But has he got older it mostly on chin.On my three black females I never see much mostly on chin when I do.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Over the years I have had a few dogs and pups with 'acne' under the chin and occasionally on the hocks. When I supplemented them with Zinc, the 'plaques' disappeared and never returned.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts