Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
We leave arlo with my little cousins usually (if I have a longer shift at work, day trip etc). Arlo knows them and loves them and vice versa. Arlo even gets upset when my cousins leave to go home, so it's a good relationship and I trust them with him, but importantly Arlo trusts them. We tried a kennel once but it didn't work out too well so we decided we'd never do it again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Watching this thread as I have no choice about taking or not taking Beau. At some point, I need to go handle my mother’s estate in Mexico which will be challenging enough as it’s an ex-pat situation, and I am not about to complicate it by driving Beau through the country. Too many things can happen outside my control.
He is not an easy dog, like my Boxer was, so my live-in urban dog sitter is out and my vet no longer boards. After the nightmare boarding back in Feb/Mar, I have to admit, I am really worried about choosing to take care of family business or take care of my boy.
What happened with the boarding if you don't mind me asking?

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
What happened with the boarding if you don't mind me asking?
A very bad experience where he came back 7 pounds lighter, dog-reactive, and forechest gone and back leg muscles weakened. I think they saw Doberman and never took him out or interacted with him. The boarding was a necessity because his goofy puppyness knocked into me and tore my lateral meniscus and I had to be on rest for 2 weeks.

·
joie de vivre
11,304 Posts
We typically hire a house/dog sitter. If we live close enough to a trusted (and dog-savvy) friend or family member, then we have sometimes left the dogs with one of them. I've boarded my dogs once before and I don't think they loved it but they were fine. Boarding is my last choice, though, because it actually required the most effort on my part. It's easiest for me to have someone come to our home, so I prefer that option.

Reactions: melbrod and MMcCown

·
Registered
21 Posts
A very bad experience where he came back 7 pounds lighter, dog-reactive, and forechest gone and back leg muscles weakened. I think they saw Doberman and never took him out or interacted with him. The boarding was a necessity because his goofy puppyness knocked into me and tore my lateral meniscus and I had to be on rest for 2 weeks.
That's terrible!! I'm so sorry that happened to your pup=( Arlo had a similar experience when we put him in boarding. When my parents went to pick him up he was so confused and scared and he is usually jumping all over my dad. Then he ate almost 4 cups of food in 1 sitting when he got home would not leave the bowl. I agree I think some places see doberman and they're like nope. It sucks because they're so kind and loving but some people have such a negative mentality towards them

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’d like to ask this question for … future reference … if you are going on a week long vacation and can not take your Doberman, what do you do with him or her?
Leave him with a family member? Or is a week too long for that?
Leave at your house and have someone come feed & walk him?
Board at a vet or kennel?
Or something else?
We never leave our dogs alone even to get a haircut! Our valued dog sitter is with them and we arrange our schedule around hers.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
We typically hire a house/dog sitter. If we live close enough to a trusted (and dog-savvy) friend or family member, then we have sometimes left the dogs with one of them. I've boarded my dogs once before and I don't think they loved it but they were fine. Boarding is my last choice, though, because it actually required the most effort on my part. It's easiest for me to have someone come to our home, so I prefer that option.
Agreed, in Arizona that was my only choice. Sadly, my desire to move back to a city has rendered that a tough go with Beau. Hopefully, the more contacts I can make in the dog community, the easier of a go we will have.

Reactions: LadyDi
21 - 28 of 28 Posts