Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to ask this question for … future reference … if you are going on a week long vacation and can not take your Doberman, what do you do with him or her?
Leave him with a family member? Or is a week too long for that?
Leave at your house and have someone come feed & walk him?
Board at a vet or kennel?
Or something else?

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,950 Posts
I board my dogs at my vet's office.

·
Big Lil pup
6,735 Posts
Our current dog, who will be 7 years old in September is very rarely left home alone without either my wife or me here.

However, about four years ago I had back to back joint replacement surgeries and could not walk McCoy when my wife, who travels a lot for business, was out of town. We hired a very good pet care service to walk him. This was on and off for months. He grew to adore these folks. Now if we need to leave him for a coupe of days we have one of them come and stay with him. They are also trainers, so they quickly learned McCoy's quirks and mannerisms.

In my son's case, over the years, I have always cared for his Dobe's when they are gone. His newest pup, Popeye, has already spent a lot of time here. And admittedly, while a lot of work, it's been really good for both him and McCoy to get to know each other at this formative stage in young Popeye's life.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
My MIL is our dogsitter. She has experience with very intelligent and high energy dogs. Hell, she trains Ripley when we're gone, and she comes home with a new learned behavior every time.

·
Super Moderator
22,322 Posts
We rarely travel, either, but we have a vet tech from our vet's office that we've known for 15 years. She's also a trainer, and she lives near us. She's amazing, and does boarding in her home. We have boarded our dogs with her more than once, and I have no hesitation leaving the dogs with her. They live like they are her own - sleep in her bed, she has a huge yard they play in, and of course she has tons of care experience with her many, many years of being a vet tech, so I don't worry at all about her taking care of them.

·
Premium Member
8,563 Posts
For Hoss as I have a hearing and balance issues so he is my service dog when we go hiking in the mountains.
I could never walk on a rough terrain without his assistance.Also keeps me from falling as I lean on his shoulders for support.
BUT if we go out for a day trip we have a lady that lives across the street from us that will come sit with Hoss.
She has known Hoss since the day he came home with us.
She is retired so I pay her well.
Early on Hoss was boarded at a kennel and never again.
I found while I was away from him I worried all the time and was anxious to get home.
Not a good way to have a vacation!! LOL
So having someone I knew and could call at anytime if I was worried helped this human really enjoy their vacation.
I trust very few humans with my Dobermans…..

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
A combination. I've had a neighbor look after them - she would come in 4 times a day, I've had house sitters, and I've boarded them at various kennels. I think it is important for dogs to be able to board at a kennel. No dog likes it, but they should get used to be in one and do ok. You just never know when an emergency could happen and you would have no choice but to board. We live a long ways from family, so that was never an option for us. One of our dogs (Jezebel) is not good with strangers, so it would be impossible to have a random dog sitter come into our house. She is fine with people outside of her home base. She has known my neighbor since she was a baby puppy (she was born in my house and never left), so is fine with her.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Most of the time I've had a friend (who I met when we got litter mates) and for the last 25 years I've taken care of her dogs (in her home or mine) when she traveled and she's done the same for mine.

Before that I've occasionally had puppies who had to be boarded when I traveled and each time they went to kennels owned by people I knew pretty well (and in almost every case the puppy ended up in the kennel owners house sleeping in their bed). And even more recently since I've worked for a vet clinic for the last 17 years they would be a back up if both my friend and I were going to be out of town--all my puppies in that time have grown up in the clinic and know the other employees well.

And my present Dobe, Joey, the loaner would go to his breeder's if I was gone and he needed a place to stay.

dobebug

·
Registered
328 Posts
We found a doggie guru on Rover.com, who took multiple dogs and taught Bella to swim. I think his place made her a little nervous. He had free play dates, but has moved. So then we found a loving in-their-home-host also on Rover. Bella is loved like their daughter, who is also a resource, and she loves their pool. But the last time Bee did not get along with the daughters new girl-pup:( Now that that one is older, I hope she is still welcome there! These people are so nice they wanted all of us to know to come to their large home, if there were a fire evacuation!

I'm getting ready to call her to find out about them meeting Loki. I think he would like both of their dogs. He related very well with Bella right away.

If they do not want to ever board him, we will find a new Rover host nearby that will take only our dogs, and doesn't have their own dogs. Because Loki is dog reactive, when he is on leash at a park, but he is getting better, I would prefer they just stay within that new hosts property and not go out.

Last year we took them to a dog-friendly cabin.
The family is either too elderly for big dogs, or have too many crazy dogs. We would only use them in dire emergency due to their 9 month untrained Aussie gets aggressive with Loki, and their other dogs.

We also have a best friend; she would be the only candidate for staying here with them, because they know and love her and will let her in!!

It does get complicated.... now that I've written it down, seems a little less problematic<><>

·
Registered
11 Posts
We found a doggie guru on Rover.com, who took multiple dogs and taught Bella to swim. I think his place made her a little nervous. He had free play dates, but has moved. So then we found a loving in-home-host also on Rover. Bella is loved like their daughter, who is also a resource, and she loves their pool. But the last time Bee did not get along with the daughters new girl-pup:( Now that that one is older, I hope she is still welcome there! These people are so nice they wanted all of us to know to come to their large home, if there were a fire evacuation!

I'm getting ready to call her to find out about them meeting Loki. I think he would like both of their dogs. He related very well with Bella right away.

If they do not want to ever board him, we will find a new Rover host nearby that will take only our dogs, and doesn't have their own dogs. Because Loki is dog reactive, when he is on leash at a park, but he is getting better, I would prefer they just stay within that new hosts property and not go out.

Last year we took them to a dog-friendly cabin.
The family is either too elderly for big dogs, or have too many crazy dogs. We would only use them in dire emergency due to their 9 month untrained Aussie gets aggressive with Loki, and their other dogs.

We also have a best friend; she would be the only candidate for staying here with them, because they know and love her and will let her in!!

It does get complicated.... now that I've written it down, seems a little less problematic<><>
It’s good that you have good luck with Rover. We had the worst sitters using them. We didn’t ever take ours to someone else’s house because they usually had pets of their own and one of ours didn’t get along with other dog’s outside our own pack. So we had the sitters come to our house. We went through about five until we finally found a decent one. We all told the rover sitters that we had one with some separation anxiety and we couldn’t leave him more than a few hours, so if they couldn’t stay at the house at least 18-20 hours a day then we couldn’t use them. They all swore up and down that they wouldn’t leave except maybe to get something to eat or for a few errands. We also said we didn’t want anyone else at our house but the sitters themselves. All but one person invited friends and some family members over, one had parties and one was gone for ten hours a day! I’m thankful for the neighbors we had who told us how many people came and went and how long the sitters were there. We finally installed a Ring camera and found one decent sitter a year before we moved. But even she had someone come over and she knew about the camera! We now live in the same town as my mom and sister. They have a great sitter and he said he knows some other trustworthy ones as well. I just hated being lied to! Then for the sitters to have a bunch of people around who my dog’s didn’t know really ticked me off. Thankfully the dobes were well socialized and friendly but you never know if someone might play too rough and could end up getting hurt. I just like dogs more than most people, since they’re more loyal!

·
Registered
328 Posts
It’s good that you have good luck with Rover. We had the worst sitters using them. We didn’t ever take ours to someone else’s house because they usually had pets of their own and one of ours didn’t get along with other dog’s outside our own pack. So we had the sitters come to our house. We went through about five until we finally found a decent one. We all told the rover sitters that we had one with some separation anxiety and we couldn’t leave him more than a few hours, so if they couldn’t stay at the house at least 18-20 hours a day then we couldn’t use them. They all swore up and down that they wouldn’t leave except maybe to get something to eat or for a few errands. We also said we didn’t want anyone else at our house but the sitters themselves. All but one person invited friends and some family members over, one had parties and one was gone for ten hours a day! I’m thankful for the neighbors we had who told us how many people came and went and how long the sitters were there. We finally installed a Ring camera and found one decent sitter a year before we moved. But even she had someone come over and she knew about the camera! We now live in the same town as my mom and sister. They have a great sitter and he said he knows some other trustworthy ones as well. I just hated being lied to! Then for the sitters to have a bunch of people around who my dog’s didn’t know really ticked me off. Thankfully the dobes were well socialized and friendly but you never know if someone might play too rough and could end up getting hurt. I just like dogs more than most people, since they’re more loyal!
I'm sorry to hear that you had such problems with Rover. there are many in our area so I am hopeful to find one that meets our req's . I would never let a stranger sit them here, I think they would not be let in! Our dogs do not have separation anxiety, and can be left alone and they do very well for up to 7 hours.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I travel a lot for work and I unfortunately can't bring my pups with me. Luckily for me, my best friend works from home so I just make sure she has my most up to date password and can work from my place. Prior to that, there was a local doggie daycare/boarding place that I would take them to and they were absolutely great. I would continue with them but it just became easier to do this. Plus she can be away from her husband which she likes and I know my dogs are well taken care of.

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Premium Member
Mocha
4,333 Posts
I'm with Kenny; if Mocha can't go, we don't go. She stresses out way too much being boarded and away from us and heck, let's be honest, I can't stand not having her around :)

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,950 Posts
Yep, my girl goes where I go. If she's not welcome then neither am I.
In a general sense, I sort of agree with that. However, there can be extenuating circumstances.

We are going to visit my in-laws at the end of the month. My FIL (who really does like my dogs) has cancer, and is getting a bit frail. There are also three dogs already living in their house. So, while we have taken dogs with us in the past (Gin, Lucky, Ilka, and Lily have all been to California), nobody is coming with on this trip.

Back in 2018, we also left everyone at home because of the fourteen days we were going to be gone, seven of them were going to be spent in the car.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Watching this thread as I have no choice about taking or not taking Beau. At some point, I need to go handle my mother’s estate in Mexico which will be challenging enough as it’s an ex-pat situation, and I am not about to complicate it by driving Beau through the country. Too many things can happen outside my control.
He is not an easy dog, like my Boxer was, so my live-in urban dog sitter is out and my vet no longer boards. After the nightmare boarding back in Feb/Mar, I have to admit, I am really worried about choosing to take care of family business or take care of my boy.

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,014 Posts
Sorry, I can't remember the details--but do you have any connection with his breeder? Perhaps they can network you to someone in your area?

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Sorry, I can't remember the details--but do you have any connection with his breeder? Perhaps they can network you to someone in your area?
The breeder is not very communicative. Good dogs, not a lot of dedication to owners as far as I can tell (that was actually a separate thread I was contemplating). No one in my area. I am hoping to get sponsored by the DPCA to open up some personal connections.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts