Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, i'm getting closer and closer from finally get a dobe but i still have a few concerns... i'm a plasterer im on my van everyday going to many different places and site 8am-5pm , usually stop for break at 10am then 1pm

Many days i drive around a lot, i live near the wood and have a decent garden in a private road, very secure, i do a lot of activities... my gf works as supply teacher some time 2 to 5 days per week

ok so what are your thoughts on my situation and wanting a doberman?? many people take their dogs to work with them, that would be great if my dobe could come and stay in the van (off course before some one say something , water, food windows down, leash and my visit every 30 mintues) come to work with me everyday but when not suitable he would stay in the house on its own for 8 hours, accesses to garden etc ...

please what do you guys suggest me to do ? is this actually gonna be possible or am i just gonna have to dream about dobermans till i'm retired :( ??

puppy age must be consider into this discussion too

thank you :nicejob:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Everyone is going to have a different view on it with dogs on the road in trucks with people. I have an Aunt and Uncle who are truckers, and their 2 dogs are always with them on the road. The dogs have been doing it as puppies and love it.

Your situation is different but my point is a dog can adjust to anything and if the temperature isn't too hot nor too cold, I am sure it would work just fine.

Personally, I wouldn't comfortable leaving my dog in the truck and it may be hard on you with worrying about your dog, and having to go check on him/her.

Reactions: drazy88

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I think if it's a short trip, then maybe it's ok. If all day, I wouldn't subject my dog to a car/van all day to keep him/her with you. It's just not fair to the animal.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My puppy Kelly, grew up on a job site renovation and adjusted very good, to all the noise and power tools / but it was my personal property.
- if your boss is OK with a pup on the premises, that's great...take pup inside with you & setup a crate, also a good idea

My dobes loves my truck, but I would never make it a habit of a whole shift in a work van.
- today my girl rested in my SUV a few times (in half hour duration's), for her own safety while building a garage outside

·
Super Moderator
15,704 Posts
It would not be safe to take him with you on the job or to leave him in your truck. He could escape, get stolen, suffer from heat stroke, etc. I've had a contractor have his dog at my house during construction without my permission and it really ticked me off too, so professionally it's also a poor decision. I still think you can make it work, though. When your doberman is a puppy you can send him to doggy daycare or have a dog walker come over during the day. Then when he's an adult you can continue to have the dog walker come over to take him out.

·
Big Lil pup
7,331 Posts
I never worry about my boys in my rigs for up to 30 minutes. They will even sit in my Jeep with the top off for as long as I am gone. Don't bark, Don't growl. Have no desire to leave.That being said... I would never leave them for extended periods. They would be much happier at home.

Dogs left in a owner's truck on a regular basis (even if they are physically comfortable) can become extremely protective. If that happens, it is not only obnoxious to any passerby, but it really stresses out out the dog.

i have seen this first hand many times. Especially with dogs like Dobermans, Dalmatians, GSDs and Rottweilers

·
Alpha schmalpha
4,306 Posts
My dobe is with me everyday. We have some office time field time and we do travel through out the day seeing customers and suppliers. I rarely leave him alone because i just like his company.(i can crate him) I can honestly say that with him around my productivity is less and he must always be crossing my mind otherwise things can go wrong quick. If you are involved in a profession that you need long periods of uninterrupted focus then your quality of work may suffer along with your earnings. Especially when dealing with a immature doberman.
It can work but it takes time and plenty of effort to train and condition a dobe to be welcomed in the work environment.

·
Registered
15,081 Posts
I agree with whomever mentioned short work days. If you are just checking things and going to be coming back to the van shortly, I think that is great! It teaches them that Mom/Dad can be out of sight for a little bit and be okay.

I feel if you try to force the full work day on the dog with you in the beginning you could be setting yourself up for a needy dog.

See if you can work out short jaunts to work with you and maybe hire/recruit someone to come fill your space on the long days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone, really enjoyed reading your replies :)

i have a friend he takes his bull terrier on his land rover at the back is a cage, all doors of the truck stays open (close sites) , another guy keep his dog on the leash with all doors open, on breaks they take the dog for walks etc...

i'm my own boss, i have a lad working for me hes with me everyday.

off course i wouldn't take my dog to places where the van must be locked or are a short walk to the site, those days he would stay at home on his own or with the gf, there is also a possibility of my brother looking after the dog while im at work, however i dont want depend on people to look after my own dog and ending up bonding more with "him" than me

the biggest concern is puppy age as i wont be able to take more than a month off work to train him, also because it must be a doberman and my experience with this breed are minimum have have many concerns on its tendencies

if i have to work 8 hours a day and he can't be with me or alone i won't be able to have a dobe or any other dogs unless i retire or sign up which is f***k up :(

please keep commenting x

·
Alpha schmalpha
4,306 Posts
"the biggest concern is puppy age as i wont be able to take more than a month off work to train him, also because it must be a doberman and my experience with this breed are minimum have have many concerns on its tendencies"
What you would be doing with your pup is "on the job training" and it would be constant and last for almost 2 years before you would begin to reach a comfort zone.
Some breeds would be content to wait in, on , under a truck for their owner to return but a dobe really needs and wants to be by your side or always have a line of sight on you otherwise they can get fairly uncomfortable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What you would be doing with your pup is "on the job training" and it would be constant and last for almost 2 years before you would begin to reach a comfort zone.
Some breeds would be content to wait in, on , under a truck for their owner to return but a dobe really needs and wants to be by your side or always have a line of sight on you otherwise they can get fairly uncomfortable.

yeah i will never stop wanting to teach him more, and yes i have intentions to go to classes and other but after work lol ...

where i just moved to cross the road are 3 show dobermans, i haven't met them yet but im sure i will and that they will help and point me in the right direction

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I take Bacc with me everywhere. In the summer I do my grocery shopping at night. At the trials if it is hot or cold he crates inside with a minimum of crate time. He stays with me ringside unless I have to walk the course.

When I can work out of my truck he stays loose in the truck at the trials. One thing I never do is plaster a bunch of signs or bumper stickers advertising on my truck that "advertise" he's in there. I see these things at trials all the time. Personally it would worry me to draw attention to him that way. JMO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im a little confused on what you do ? trials ? as in 4x4 tracks ...

i will be taking my dog for walks in the morning then driving to work 8am , he stay inside, 10pm i stop for snack take "him" for a walk etc, back to work at 10:30am . 1pm lunch and another walk etc for him, 4:30 i finish take him somewhere as i do a lot out door stuff, also i must mention while im working i go to my van all the time to get tools very often ..

this would be monday to friday .... what do you think ?

·
Fawntastic
862 Posts
Here's how i look at it. My girls can either be crated at home or crated in the car. Either way they are crated, but at least if they are with me I can let them out, play with them, walk them, feed them, etc. They don't get that when they are crated at home.
Easiest way to prevent theft is put a lock on the crate.
Make sure you park in the shade, have a sun shade, plenty of water, something to do in the crate. Get a crate fan or be prepared to run your MV to keep them cool or warm.
Be prepared to deal with idiots and AR morons who want to report you or tell you why you are mistreating your dog.
Above all else, do what works best for you and YOUR dog.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i see what you mean and i agree with you, its very true, and to be fair i can give my dog a lot more than many other people can by having him with me instead leaving it with strangers..and because i am an out door person he will do so much more than two walks a day obligation ;) i don't know but i got a little hope now :) thank you

·
Registered
15,081 Posts
Just make sure that you are not one of the dummies that leave their dog in a vehicle on an even remotely warm day, nor a possibly cold day, without regular availability to check the dog.

And, there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking family, friends or neighbors for assistance when filling a void in a weather/work schedule situation.

I am halfway through my care taking duties while my horse's boarders are out of the country. I am a nervous wreck every time I pull onto their property.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Just make sure that you are not one of the dummies that leave their dog in a vehicle on an even remotely warm day, nor a possibly cold day, without regular availability to check the dog.....
^^ 30 years ago, when I did auto body work every weekend, I would disconnect my car battery and let dog sleep in the front seat with door open.
- our Tanya could take naps in comfort, when she choice
But again, all my dogs are trained early, to say on the property & off the road / I don't rely on fences.

"the biggest concern is puppy age as i wont be able to take more than a month off work to train him, also because it must be a doberman and my experience with this breed are minimum have have many concerns on its tendencies"
Kelly first stayed in my truck for a full hour, at 5 months old - but I don't crate train much & nothing gets destroyed.
- took a few months initially, to train her at home to only chew her toys / training furniture & house manners, helps big on the job sit
- I let my dogs, sleep/rest in the front seat of my pickup...and nothing gets chewed

At 10 weeks old, Kelly had a crate in the house renovation kitchen, she used it very little / liking free range of project instead.
- but required my supervision & attention
My carpenter said, pup Kelly was the best dog he had ever seen on a job site / one day she was under a table saw sleeping, the noise of it turning on, didn't scare here.
- pups can learn much, if supervised on a indoor job site / they don't learn much crated in a Van, all day

Judging from the photos, Dobermans are content when they have a line of sight with their master and within hearing range...to remain calm & happy.

When Kelly is in the truck, the drivers window is left all the way down.
- but I train my puppies, to not jump out the window or exit the vehicle until I say so

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
im a little confused on what you do ? trials ? as in 4x4 tracks ...

i will be taking my dog for walks in the morning then driving to work 8am , he stay inside, 10pm i stop for snack take "him" for a walk etc, back to work at 10:30am . 1pm lunch and another walk etc for him, 4:30 i finish take him somewhere as i do a lot out door stuff, also i must mention while im working i go to my van all the time to get tools very often ..

this would be monday to friday .... what do you think ?
I think your comment was to my post? Bacchus and I compete in agility trials pretty much every weekend. If you're going to leave him in your truck then you need to be mindful of the weather. Too hot and too cold are a no no for leaving a dog in a vehicle all day. I have a Ford Transit Connect and Bacc has the run of the entire back. He has a Primo Pad with a bed. Water bucket and food bucket are available at all times along with a couple of toys and a chew.

Even with that set up I get him out of the truck and he stays with me ringside until I have to walk the course.

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
I think your comment was to my post? Bacchus and I compete in agility trials pretty much every weekend. If you're going to leave him in your truck then you need to be mindful of the weather. Too hot and too cold are a no no for leaving a dog in a vehicle all day. I have a Ford Transit Connect and Bacc has the run of the entire back. He has a Primo Pad with a bed. Water bucket and food bucket are available at all times along with a couple of toys and a chew.

Even with that set up I get him out of the truck and he stays with me ringside until I have to walk the course.
as a tangent: how do you like that van? i'm in the research phase for future vehicles and i'm torn between an SUV or a van.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
as a tangent: how do you like that van? i'm in the research phase for future vehicles and i'm torn between an SUV or a van.
Let me preface this by saying I went from a new Corvette to a Yukon to the Transit. Change of address was the reason to give up my dream car (moved to rural area) then needed the SUV. Gas mileage was atrocious. Loved the Yukon. Like a 4 wheel drive Caddy. Going into the Transit was definitely a step down.

Cheap vehicle. Under 20 grand. No frills. Two seater with a rubberized flat flooring in the back. More cargo space then the Yukon. Lots of places to hook bungies. I am the bungie queen! Cloth seats (all they came with). Noisy but with my hearing problem not really a problem. Back doors open all the way back to the sides. Rides like a bucket. I love the overhead storage in front. Front wheel drive. I've never gotten stuck yet. But then again, I don't push it. Great gas mileage. Yukon only got 15mpg.

As far as repairs go the usual tires, brakes, oil changes, etc.. And the tires are cheap. The other repairs have been because of what I've done to it. I have the original battery in it and it's a 2010.

Am I glad I bought it? YES

It's perfect for what I use it for. It's low to the ground compared to the Yukon so it's easier for Bacc to jump in and out of it.

I have almost 90,000 miles on it and it has been a real work horse for me.

Would I buy another one? If I were going to continue with agility. I have it because it's perfect for now.

Oh, almost forgot......it's ugly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts