Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hercules always barks like hell when he runs into flying kites... he often doesn't care about other things when we go out but he especially hates kites.

I see Dobes have many things in common such as loving to drink water from sprinklers... so I think other Dobermans hate kites too, right?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well Princi hasn't been around kites yet but Unidentified Flying Ojects always interest her.

Naveen

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
IMO, it has a lot to do with socialization. Kites are definitely not every day things that the dog sees. I can see where they could be viewed as very odd to a dog by the way they move and fly. Maybe even as a possible prey object, like a low flying duck, only the kite might be more attractive as most are colorful and move really irregularly.

I wouldn't let him bark and carry on like that though. My 2 yr. old male Doberman used to love to bark and chase after 4-wheelers, cats, squirrels, and ducks. As soon as he saw one, his prey drive would kick in and his brain would kick out of there. During our walks he doesn't do any more, now he can walk past them and be calm and focused on me if I ask him too, but it took training and work to get him acclimated to acting that way.

Funny you should bring this up. We saw a kite in the park yesterday. I was wondering about the reactions. My 2 yr. old stared at it for a bit, I could see the wheels turning in his head trying to figure out what it is, then moved on to gazing at the ducks (longingly, I might add =). Kites aren't a big deal to him, strange maybe, but nothing that requires continuous barking or nothing that elicits uncontrollable prey drive.

He is great and steady around ducks, most cats, small animals, and all sizes of dogs but that came after socializing the heck out of him. During walks he used to view everything that moved as possible prey, making him bark a lot, eyes light up with that “look”, his body trembled, and he wanted to chase, it just took lots of socialization and training to teach him otherwise, but he caught on quick.

All Dobermans have a certain level of prey drive and/or confidence, some are higher than others though. One male Doberman I shared my life with killed birds on a regular basis but lived peacefully with a small Chihuahua and was great with other dogs and people.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Mine are not at all bothered by kites. Oh, by the way, I know roughly 30 Dobermans and only about 3 of them enjoy being around sprinklers so that's not a breed thing either. Just depends on the individual dog :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

This is Mavis at the beach a couple of years ago. A guy up on the cliff was flying his model airplane and Mavis spotted it. Then he started egging her on with it, flying low and slow, right over her head, then when she made a move at it, he would fly it straight up and away from her.

This went on for about a half an hour, then he got careless and smashed his plane into the rocks. That's what Mavis was waiting for. She ran toward the wrecked plane with every intention of tearing the thing apart. It's a good thing she knew enough to come when she was called every time, or else I might have been obligated to buy the guy a new airplane.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts