Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about funny, smart and cute things dobes do and I just wanted some more so I figured I'd start a thread. Things like acooper said about orson kissing her cheek before bed, or pushing the remote towards her when she was sick. Oh and how BiB's Rommel used to pick up his food dish and follow her around with it. Just smart unqiue things. They can be things you taught them or whatever they thought up on their own I just want to know some more of them! I told those to my mom and she loved it. (headsup acooper I think she wants orson now!) Particularly intelligent things as thats one of the reasons I love this breed.

The dobe I fell in love with learned the trick 'bang bang'. He would fall over on his side perfectly and not move a muscle. I thought wow he is so smart! Oh and I know this isnt unique but its a dober things I love how they push your hands when you stop petting them! Of course that gets kind of pesty though after a while.

Share away!:biggthump

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
it's not a trick - although some may argue that one cause he hasn't EATEN the moose yet -
Tucker has a stuffed moose he carries around with him, we call it his "woobie" He sleeps with it, carries it around, paces with it hanging out of his mouth when he's anxious...
he will give it to people he really loves (me, my mom, his Aunt Jenn and a few others) he plays with it and he nibbles on it - but never ever tore it open or broke it in any way.
He's had this silly thing for almost 3 months now.

The fact that I have a dobe that carries around a stuffie is pretty impressive hehehe
and to actually SEE him in the act is just too funny. I keep trying to get a picture of it but he drops it any time I get near him with the camera...and looks guilts as heck *giggles*

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
(headsup acooper I think she wants orson now!)
Heh, if she catches me on the RIGHT day, I might be inclined to GIVE him! LOL (NOT!)

I think you can't possibly leave out the standard dobie things in this thread........the things that may not be so unique to one single dobe, but are extremely cute or in some cases ANNOYING about dobes in general :)

Like how Orson, and many other dobes, will get a big old drink and purposefully seek out a victim to dry their mouths on, LOL.......thankfully here it is usually my son. Or how they like to "goose" people in the butt to say 'howdy'.......hehehe Can't leave out the 'leaners' either.........Orson leans so much that when we move suddenly, he has fallen right over! LOL
Or how they have to be touching you, even if it means sitting on your feet with their boney butts! OUCH!

While these things may not be unique to one dobe, I find it extremely neat that you hear the same stories from countless dobe owners everywhere :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
This is not terribly impressive but I always get a kick of how when I ask Java if she wants to 'go to Mommy's room', the ears go up, she runs for her favorite chew toy de jour, picks it up, trots into the front foyer and sits at the foot of the stairs until I give her the ok to head up to the master bedroom. This is followed by the long jump onto the bed where Java feels free to stretch out leaving me a full 13" of space to relax in...And why is it that no matter how large the surface area of the mattress, your Dobe has to be plastered right against you? (Not necessarily a complaint esp when it's the dead of winter...)

The sitting on one's foot so that the nub digs into the instep is a favorite, as is the plopping into my (or a total stranger's if at the DP) lap. Most effective when one is trying to pay bills at the kitchen table...

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
One of my past dobes Brit used to look at the whippet covered couch longingly, wanting a nice warm soft spot. He eventually learned to sit and stare pathetically at them for a few minutes, then he would wheel around and rush the front door barking like a demon. All the whippets would spring off the couch and rush to the door to see what was going on, passing Brit on his way back to the now empty couch. Worked like a charm every time. The whippets never did catch on.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nike will take her squirrel dude treat dispenser and go all the way to the top of the staircase and drop it down.

This dog understands the laws of gravity!
hah love it! Ive heard of a rott who does this with her kong.

think you can't possibly leave out the standard dobie things in this thread
yes definately, all those things you mentioned I've experianced and love about the breed. I just figured that everyone probably already knew those!

sits at the foot of the stairs until I give her the ok to head up to the master bedroom.
that is too cute! thanks for sharing guys, keep em coming!

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All the whippets would spring off the couch and rush to the door to see what was going on, passing Brit on his way back to the now empty couch. Worked like a charm every time. The whippets never did catch on.
lol! that is great and truely smart!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Julie, that's a funny story. Back in the 70's when I had my first dobe, my guy pal had a whippet, my dobe would take the whippets toys and hide them and the poor whippet always had to depend on me to find the toys.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
There are so many...

One that I can think of off the top of my head is when Asher wants to be petted constantly. I tell him I am done. He obviously isn't, so he will go to where I have my coat hanging on the back of a chair somewhere, slide under the arm and act like the arm is petting him rubbing against it. Instant self petting. Smart inventing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Harley bounces a rubber ball (one of those Orbee Tuff Earth Balls). He'll whip it down at the ground with enough force so it will bounce back high enough so he can catch it with his mouth. He'll do it over and over again.

Coincidentally, my son constantly bounces a small basketball in our basement game room and Harley plays down there a lot with him. I swear Harley saw my son always bouncing the basketball and figured he wanted to do the same.

Hmm, maybe I should start labeling it whenever he does it and then "take credit" for this trick when he does it in front of friends.

:)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess yelps at me to move over and make room on the bed for her...even though there is plenty just not any space right next to me. And plus she has to get as close as she can so she nudges me with her nose to try to get under me as much as possible so that by the time she lays down she is super close lol. or she expects me to lift the covers for her in the winter.
She will also stare at me with dobie eyes and ears back and let out tiny whines to let me know she wants me to pet her.
She smiles when anyone comes home...
She wiggles her whole body and grabs a toy to stuff her whining mouth to quiet her excitment
she will lick my arm if she is in her "licking ears mode" but coco isnt around
or if i get close she will lick my forehead.
she will watch us pull out of the driveway and leave from the upstairs window
On purpose she will throw her kong down the stairs to get the treats to break up.
when I prepare their food...Duchess will trot laps around the island in the kitchen until its ready to be served lol.
when we go in to hug her while she is laying down she will use her legs to push us away like how we sometimes would push her away lol.

hmmm probably more...

my favorite thing coco(lab mix) is when he is happy to see us he is very sensitive and sweet to us so he will trot up to us and lightly lick the back of our leg just once. :)

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
Here's one I know they all do - roll up into this tiny little ball on the coach and put their nose under an arm and sleep like a rock; or sleep upside down. It's hard to believe that that 28.5 inch tall doberman can get in such a small little ball. They are also the funniest butt "scooters" when they play - scooting their cute little asses way under themselves to dart in a different direction.:)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
The funniest thing I can think of is a trick that Piper taught herself. (and has since taught Rommel and Ziris)

If you leave her in the car, she will hit the hazard lights (on the dash) and honk the horn. I imagine the hazards were by accident, because she doesnt do that "everytime" but she does it most of the time. The horn, she just learned gets attention........so she sits in the driver seat and honks it until you come back. It is so pitiful......she will really draw a crowd of laughing spectators....Like "Poor pitiful dog.....abandoned.........HELP" She will pull the pitiful card in a heartbeat.

Okay, now the boarder.......Coudai. The first night I let her sleep in the bed with us, she decided she would rather sleep on the dog bed at the end of the bed. The next morning when she wanted me to wake up, she jumped up on the bed and SAT on me. Not doing anything, just plopped her butt on me and sat there. This morning when my alarm went off to go tracking I kind of laid there for a minute. (I have to lay there a minute and wake up) Well......she came and sat on me again...like "Hello......the alarm is going off......you must wake up" So yah, my little "I will sit on you until you get up" alarm clock. It works though! haha

·
Registered
116 Posts
it's not a trick - although some may argue that one cause he hasn't EATEN the moose yet -
Tucker has a stuffed moose he carries around with him, we call it his "woobie" He sleeps with it, carries it around, paces with it hanging out of his mouth when he's anxious...
he will give it to people he really loves (me, my mom, his Aunt Jenn and a few others) he plays with it and he nibbles on it - but never ever tore it open or broke it in any way.
He's had this silly thing for almost 3 months now.

The fact that I have a dobe that carries around a stuffie is pretty impressive hehehe
and to actually SEE him in the act is just too funny. I keep trying to get a picture of it but he drops it any time I get near him with the camera...and looks guilts as heck *giggles*
Baine has a red rubberish ball that he does the same thing with. He takes it outside when he has to go and he'll stand at the fence and bark at the other dogs with his mouth still full of red ball. We call it his muffler, quiets him down a little bit.

He also likes to sit between people's legs, like he sits and backs himself in so his butt and back side are nestled comfortably against your feet and legs.

If you're sitting down he has a habit of coming up and putting his head between your legs with his face down and ears sticking up, go you can rub his ears and the back of his neck. He'll do this even after you stop.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Here's one I know they all do - roll up into this tiny little ball on the coach and put their nose under an arm and sleep like a rock
You mean like this?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts