Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Associate awhile back lended an ear and listened to me, about Nubis's ownership story,(knowingly purchased from a non-reputable Breeder). He told me, if I am willing to roll the dice on his ownership and possible further heartache in my life, then Nubis is a prime candidate for the Holter Monitor Project as it will further help the Doberman Breed. I thought what a great idea.
With the help of a trainer, we are going to ensure he will behave correctly while wearing the coat for 24 hours.

I think anyone with the time, dedication and live nearby Guelph, Ontario, this is an awesome study.

Have a Heart

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I do hope he passes the tests with flying colours.

Wish we had such studies here, no one seems to care much about our dogs I'm afraid. I can only get Toby tested etc if I take him to Barcelona and he has already been diagnosed with a heart problem. Make sense of that if you can.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I do hope he passes the tests with flying colours.

Wish we had such studies here, no one seems to care much about our dogs I'm afraid. I can only get Toby tested etc if I take him to Barcelona and he has already been diagnosed with a heart problem. Make sense of that if you can.
Thanks
I do wish he passes with flying colors also, but it will be , what it will be.
WIth an approx 50% of Dobes eventually getting DCM, the more data they collect, the better.

I would suggest reading the website, I do believe it is an InterContinental Study, and if you have a postal address and accept responsiblity for damage to the Recorder, your good to go. I should have worded my intial post better.

Its not meant for a quick solution, to getting tested but dedication to the cause and committing to it. It only takes 24 hours and once yearly, but without being dedicated to it, it will be of no value, especially if people abuse it.

Reactions: Toby'shuman

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
I was an avid supporter of the Guelph Holter project for a number of years. I used to Holter upwards of 20 Dobermans annually for the study - mine, my puppies in the area, rescues, other people's Dobermans I knew, etc. When I started, it was $60. They increased the price to $70. Fine, to me, it was still cost effective vs buying a Holter which a lot of people were doing. Then all of a sudden, a couple of years ago, OVC increased the price to $150.

Sorry, no can do. I'm usually doing 8-10 of my own dogs and attending OVC annually for ultrasounds as well. I can't do a 100%+ price increase. My wages didn't increase by more than 100%. Now, it's cost effective for me to just buy my own Holter, and Holter through Alba for $35 which is what I'm going to do. I just got my own vest last week, am currently sourcing the other supplies I need and then I'm good to go.

FWIW, if you're going to OVC directly to get Holtered, great. That study that you mention doesn't send out the Holter unless a contact person has a minimum of 3 Dobermans to do.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Edit:

Just refreshed and saw MaryAndDobes post.. nevermind then.

Glad there is a study though.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Keeping our fingers crossed, on Nubis buddy...he is in good hands at Guelph, Vet College...for the research study !!

Does he have to stay over night, or just wear the vest home ??

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was an avid supporter of the Guelph Holter project for a number of years. I used to Holter upwards of 20 Dobermans annually for the study - mine, my puppies in the area, rescues, other people's Dobermans I knew, etc. When I started, it was $60. They increased the price to $70. Fine, to me, it was still cost effective vs buying a Holter which a lot of people were doing. Then all of a sudden, a couple of years ago, OVC increased the price to $150.

Sorry, no can do. I'm usually doing 8-10 of my own dogs and attending OVC annually for ultrasounds as well. I can't do a 100%+ price increase. My wages didn't increase by more than 100%. Now, it's cost effective for me to just buy my own Holter, and Holter through Alba for $35 which is what I'm going to do. I just got my own vest last week, am currently sourcing the other supplies I need and then I'm good to go.

FWIW, if you're going to OVC directly to get Holtered, great. That study that you mention doesn't send out the Holter unless a contact person has a minimum of 3 Dobermans to do.
Thanks for the extra info.
I can definately see your point with that many dogs.
I guess they don't keep their website updated, as I had seen $60 but if it is $150, I just have Nubis.
Keep me updated as to sourcing everything yourself, as I am all about doing stuff myself too. What is Alba?
I will be going directly to OVC, myself.
I didnt know that about 3 dobes per contact, but say in toby'shuman case, if she knew 2 other Dobie owners, she could get it to Spain.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Edit:

Just refreshed and saw MaryAndDobes post.. nevermind then.

Glad there is a study though.
Thanks
Well I am glad their is a study too. When Nubis got Kennel Cough, I had a gut feeling that, that is what it was, but some of the symptoms pointed to DCM and when I further read about the really high percentage that Dobes will get it. It made me wonder about a few things and then I remembered this tidbit of info, a friend passed on about the study as his Dobe was enrolled in it.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keeping our fingers crossed, on Nubis buddy...he is in good hands at Guelph, Vet College...for the research study !!

Does he have to stay over night, or just wear the vest home ??
Thanks
I was prepared from the first thought of owning him but I still have my toes crossed too.
No, he will just have to wear the vest for 24 hrs.
I am going to get a trainer that is working with Me, to ensure its successful in him wearing it. HAHA even if I have to stay up the whole 24 hours to make sure he doesnt mess with it, i will.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks,,, I googled it and forget to edit it. doh

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Thanks
I was prepared from the first thought of owning him but I still have my toes crossed too.
No, he will just have to wear the vest for 24 hrs.
I am going to get a trainer that is working with Me, to ensure its successful in him wearing it. HAHA even if I have to stay up the whole 24 hours to make sure he doesnt mess with it, i will.
Nubis will give his Dad 2 choices:
a) you sleep in his crate, with him overnight
or
b) you sleep in the masters bed, with your boy
Nubis is letting Dad decide, what is best for his good night sleepy...he-he.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nubis will give his Dad 2 choices:
a) you sleep in his crate, with him overnight
or
b) you sleep in the masters bed, with your boy
Nubis is letting Dad decide, what is best for his good night sleepy...he-he.
HAHA Soon he is getting an open crate policy at night.
I already sneak him on there, when Nubis'sMom is not here but I am in a combat nap....
He was so tired tonight, from an eventful day, that he unglued his velcro from us on the couch, got up, pawed the folding doors leading to our bedroom open and went into his crate on his own accord. Bugger still poked his head out, looking for one of Nubis'sMom's homemade bisquits, so I gave him 2...
LOL He is starting to think on his own, soon he will be out bar hopping, i can see it now.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
HAHA Soon he is getting an open crate policy at night.
I already sneak him on there, when Nubis'sMom is not here but I am in a combat nap....
He was so tired tonight, from an eventful day, that he unglued his velcro from us on the couch, got up, pawed the folding doors leading to our bedroom open and went into his crate on his own accord. Bugger still poked his head out, looking for one of Nubis'sMom's homemade bisquits, so I gave him 2...
LOL He is starting to think on his own,
soon he will be out bar hopping, i can see it now.
Back in the late 70's we got our first dobe...and puppy started sleeping on the doggy bed on our bedroom floor, at night.
When wife wasn't home and Dad and Tanya had a little nap, I would put her on the master bed, beside me.
- wife figured me out quick enough, seeing dog hair on her white pillow case...LOL...soon afterwards, baby girl was in our bed every night

Nubis is sure growing into a "ladies man"...and a big thinker, how cute (stud muffin) !!
- homemade biscuiits are too yummy, not to be thinking of how to get them...often

1 - 17 of 17 Posts