Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am starting to raise and breed Bengal Cats. Our Red Doberman, Rose has been introduced to the kittens. I have two female kittens and I will be getting 2 more males in the next two months. Rose has done really well with them. She basically follows them all around and smells them ALOT, on their butts mostly. I only allow her around them with her shock collar on and under my supervision.

What I've noticed, is that after she smells them and kind of walks around, she's licking her lips. This makes me nervous. I don't know if she wants to eat them or what. She never has a viscous look on her face when she's around them. She looks more inquisitive and playful.

Do any of you have kittens around your Doberman that weren't raised with them since puppyhood? If so, how do they get along?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Dozer loved to play with one of my cats. They would actually play together but D would leave my female cat alone he would only groom her when they would sleep together in the crate...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just curious what the shock collar is for?
The shock collar has a sound alarm and a shock button on it ranging from 1-10. It's for discipline. We've used it to break bad habits like eating out of the trash can and off of the kitchen table, as well as jumping on people when they come in to our home. It has a remote control, so that you can discipline them from far away.

When I first introduced her to the kittens, she went toward them really fast. I pushed the sound button, and she immediately went to her bed.

So the shock collar is basically a warning that works.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Our cats weren't kittens when we introduced Red to them, but we made it clear from the beginning that chasing cats was NOT allowed, nor was paying too much attention to them.

Everytime Rose seems a little too interested in the kittens, distract her with a treat or toy. You want to make the association that cats=good things. Make her sit quietly on the floor while you hold the kittens on the couch or bed.

"Leave it" also works well in these situations. We use it when Red gets too near the cat food bowls, or the cat toys. He knows "leave it" and "drop it" quite well!

Make sure the cats have a safe section of the house to relax. You don't want them to constantly be worried that the dog will barge in, and also so you can always supervise the dog and cats together. I've made excellent use of this gate in introducing the dog to our 2 cats.

You can utilize the shock collar whenever she starts to exhibit chasing behavior. Or any other aggressive-type behavior around the cats. I wouldn't worry too much about the licking, though - unless she's showing any other predator-like behavior, it's probably benign.

Bengals are awesome-looking cats. Very fiesty in the vet clinic too, I can tell you, LOL. You'll have to post some pics for us. :)

Reactions: JulieA.

·
Registered
891 Posts
So does the shock collar "shock" or does it only make a sound?
Sounds as if what's she's describing is indeed a shock collar. So it does "shock" that's why when her girl hears the "beep" she stops because next comes the shock...I personally think shock collars are too harsh....but that's just me...

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Just to clarify, I don't condone shock collars - I would never use one, because there aren't any situations that arise that I can't control my dog using my voice and body language. But if it's used on a low setting and it used in conjunction with real training where it's use can be discontinued after training, I don't think it's a cruel thing to do. Personally, I like water squirt bottles instead ;)

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
This may be a silly question, but how do you control a dog hot on the trail of a cat with voice and body language? Wonder and I need to work on this. He'll knock it off when I tell him, but only when the cat has gotten to a place where he can't get her. He just kisses her when he finds her, but I can't quite call him off when he's in pursuit.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
This may be a silly question, but how do you control a dog hot on the trail of a cat with voice and body language?
Not a silly question at all. I guess we've just made sure that Red accepts us as the pack leader and the "boss", and he will call off when we so say so. I mean, every puppy will be different - maybe we just got a good one - but he does what he's told because he knows we mean business. We've never physically punished him, or used any other form of negative punishment other than "time out".

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I was just curious about the shock collar, it just sounded a little harsh to me. JMO but couldn't obiedence training work just the same without the negative side effect. I have had three dobies in my home with two older cats (one has since passed at the age of 12) and they were all taught that everyone lives in the house and everyone must cohabitat. I have a baby gate in my spare bedroom that allows the cats time away from the dogs especially in their puppy stages.

·
Registered
662 Posts
My last dobe was almost two when I got my kitten. When we brought the kitten home my male smelled him and then just ignored him. I put Charlie in the dining room for a few days with the gate up so they could see each other. In the months that followed these two became the best of friends, they would play together and fall asleep on my bed like two little angels.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Bruno loves cats! All cats and any cats. For the first few months he had a cat in the house with him, but then we had to put Oscar down :( So he went almost a year without any around. Then we got Max and Bruno just ADORED him. But Max ran away, or someone stole him? lol So now we're catless again and Bruno lost two of his best buddies!!! (he also loves other dogs---big or small).

As for the shock collar, to each their own. I think we can pretty much choose which way works best for our dogs :) (not that I'd ever use it---but I wouldn't look down on someone that did)

·
Registered
561 Posts
I dont know if this is recommended but I always found it worked for our cats so I decided to try it on the dogs as well. Whenever one of the dogs decides to attempt to chase a cat (or do any undesireable activity) we shoot it with a squirt of water from a pet spray bottle. This curbs unwanted activities very quickly.

Reactions: JulieA.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Bruno would LOVE to be squirted!!! lol He loves water. Well, except when the hose comes out. Be bolts for the door when I water the garden lol. But he loves the water.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your great advice. The collar is a shock collar and we have used the shock button on it when we first got it. We did have it on #4 out of 10 and since then, the sound is all we need to use. It worked for us and we're happy with the outcome.

I do have a separate room for the cats and when their door is open, there is a gate on it so that Rose cannot get in.

She has never hurt either one of them, but last night she started doing this thing where she'll go to the scruff of their neck and almost try to pick them up. I don't know if it's a mothering instinct or she wants to snap their necks. I have seen a dog do this to a cat and it took only a split second. I hope it's the mothering instinct.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was just curious about the shock collar, it just sounded a little harsh to me. JMO but couldn't obiedence training work just the same without the negative side effect. I have had three dobies in my home with two older cats (one has since passed at the age of 12) and they were all taught that everyone lives in the house and everyone must cohabitat. I have a baby gate in my spare bedroom that allows the cats time away from the dogs especially in their puppy stages.
You don't think it's harsh to slice half of a dog's ear off then make them walk around with a lampshade for weeks, then make them walk around with tape stuck to their already horribly sore ears when they're only a puppy? If you want to talk about harsh, there's the definition. My little shock is nothing compared to the mutilation you did to your dog.

Now, did you enjoy that? I suppose not. It seemed to me that you were just looking for something to criticize about when all I'd asked for was advice on dobermans and kittens. Whenever you judge and point the finger at someone's actions, there are 1000 more fingers pointing back at you. You didn't even care what the question was about. All you wanted to do was make yourself look better than someone else. I didn't think that was necessary. Have a nice weekend.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You don't think it's harsh to slice half of a dog's ear off then make them walk around with a lampshade for weeks, then make them walk around with tape stuck to their already horribly sore ears when they're only a puppy? If you want to talk about harsh, there's the definition. My little shock is nothing compared to the mutilation you did to your dog.

Now, did you enjoy that? I suppose not. It seemed to me that you were just looking for something to criticize about when all I'd asked for was advice on dobermans and kittens. Whenever you judge and point the finger at someone's actions, there are 1000 more fingers pointing back at you. You didn't even care what the question was about. All you wanted to do was make yourself look better than someone else. I didn't think that was necessary. Have a nice weekend.

Excuse me but what are you talking about? First of all I did NOT attack you and you can ask anyone on this board I DO NOT look to point fingers nor do I look to attack people. My statement clearly said that it was my opinion and I was just offering an alternative. And as far as your statement about me "mutlitating my dog" maybe you should understand what you are talking about before you suggest that I mutlitated my dog. You know nothing about me or my dogs, so don't you even suggest you know how I treat my dogs. My dogs are loved and treated like children, they are given the best care that money can buy. And just for the record NO I don't believe that it is harsh to do a surgery that is done under proper medical care and attention.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Apparently you feel its OK to tail dock Julie but maybe a little mutilation is OK :)

You do understand that this is a Doberman board and docking and cropping are the norm dont you?

PS we also mutilated her reproductive system with a spay :wavey:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts