Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed with some of the males that their sternum is much larger (thicker) than other males. Does anyone know why this is? Is it a deformity or a different line of Dobe.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,572 Posts
Maybe it is an intact vs. neutered or neutering age possibly issue? Check out a few of those town hall topic links you might get a better answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with neutering. Cody had a very broad chest (and had his bits snipped at 4 months) and Apollo's is very narrow looks a bit deeper, but much narrower and less muscular. (don't know when he got his bits lopped off)

I would guess part genetics and part excersize, part diet while growing up.

cc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,069 Posts
I notice that the Euro. lines have a larger (broader) chest than the Amer. lines. Of course not all the time. I think it would have to do with maybe larger bone and excersise. Just like in humans, just a guess :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,993 Posts
I think it depends on lines, age and the individual dog.
 

·
just a member
Joined
·
2,996 Posts
It looks like that is influenced by the breeding line first. I have seen some dobermans with very wide, deep chests. Other growth factors in the developement probably are secondary.

I looked up the standards for German vs American and found some interesting facts. This is from the Book, The Doberman Pinscher - Brains & Beauty by Rod Humphries & Joanna Walker....Good book too.

Its has the American standard for the chest area as: "Chest broad with forechest well defined. Ribs well sprung from the spine, but flattened in lower end to permit elbow clearance. Brisket reaching deep to the elbow. Belly well tucked up, extending in a hip being approximately equal to breadth of body at rib cage abd shoulders."

The German standard has :"Chest-The length and depth of the chest has to be in proper proportionto the length of the body. The depth should be almost half the height at the withers, the ribs with a light spring. The chest is of good width with a well-defined forechest."

Interesting enough, the german standard of 1899 has:"Chest is Well rounded, not flat sided, reaching to the elbows."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks everyone, the reason I ask is that I purchased a pup and here are pics of the pup and the dad, he has a huge chest and I figure the pup will have a big chest too. The pup is gonna be 10 weeks old Saturday, he was born on Christmas Eve. He weighed 19.1 pds yesterday when I took him to the vet for a check over.







 

·
just a member
Joined
·
2,996 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
I'm not surprised that you got another pup DaKari. But I saddened that yet another byb has been supported.
Why am I not surprised by answer once again. I do not find any where on this forum that she was getting a pup from and who it is. So I do not see how we can consider them a backyard breeder.

This forum is for healthy discussions and not to take shots at other members. I do hope that members do learn the difference between byb'ers and reputable breeders and why those not so good breeders should be avoid. But I find no healthy discussions in you post. We are here to learn and educate each other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
wow, that is harsh.. If the pup is healthy and good temperment.. whats it matter where he/she came from. Just because some pups doesnt come with papers doesnt mean that the breeders of those pups arent trying to help the breed out.. I will admit that my baby came from a BYB but his parents are the sweetest dobis i could find. If your looking for a pet.. it shouldnt matter. as long as the parnets arent killers.
Sorry. i dont mean to egg soemthing on.. just wanted my opinon in there LOL.
Jamie.
 

·
Pack Leader
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
I'm not surprised that you got another pup DaKari. But I saddened that yet another byb has been supported.

Please Remember

Please do not feed the TROLLS, if you let them go hungry they will eventually leave.​

:3dbiggrin

TD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
Kratty said:
Why am I not surprised by answer once again. I do not find any where on this forum that she was getting a pup from and who it is. So I do not see how we can consider them a backyard breeder.

This forum is for healthy discussions and not to take shots at other members. I do hope that members do learn the difference between byb'ers and reputable breeders and why those not so good breeders should be avoid. But I find no healthy discussions in you post. We are here to learn and educate each other.
I'll give you 2 clues Kratty, The pictures of the sire and the pups ears aren't cropped.
Since when is stating sadness a shot against someone? I wasn't rude or belittling> I realize this is a w&f place where everyone blindly congratulates each other, but I don't see any rules anywhere where someone isn't allowed to express sadness in cases like this.
As for this being a forum for healthy discussions, that should also include when someone has a different POV than just blindly giving congrats like so many do here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
DobiLove said:
wow, that is harsh.. If the pup is healthy and good temperment.. whats it matter where he/she came from. Just because some pups doesnt come with papers doesnt mean that the breeders of those pups arent trying to help the breed out.. I will admit that my baby came from a BYB but his parents are the sweetest dobis i could find. If your looking for a pet.. it shouldnt matter. as long as the parnets arent killers.
Sorry. i dont mean to egg soemthing on.. just wanted my opinon in there LOL.
Jamie.

Harsh? What is harsh about what I said? Seriously, I would like an answer to that.
It does matter where the pups come from. Byb don't care about the breed, they only care about money. If they did care for starters they would health test. People that care about the breed don't blindly breed dogs that will drop dead at the age of 3 from cardio.
I'm glad your pups parents are friendly, but there is more to breeding than having 2 friendly dogs. Go do some reading in the breeders section of this forum and get educated on what's involved in a good breeding.
 

·
Pack Leader
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Are you calling me a troll or DaKari?

That is directed towards you. You seem to only show up here with negative things to say. I can quote exact posts if you would like me to.

Also I read DPDF I read what you say/said about us over here. I just scratch my head wondering why you still visit us when it is obvious how you feel about this forum and the way we run things. If you like I can quote exact posts from that forum as well. So do us all a favor and go be sad for Dakari over there where I am sure you will find many supporters to jump on your band wagon.

Just do us all a favor and leave if you don’t like it here. Everyone will be happier that way. I don’t look for confrontation, in fact I do my best to avoid it but sometimes there is no choice but to call a spade a spade.

TD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
I'll give you 2 clues Kratty, The pictures of the sire and the pups ears aren't cropped.
Since when is stating sadness a shot against someone? I wasn't rude or belittling> I realize this is a w&f place where everyone blindly congratulates each other, but I don't see any rules anywhere where someone isn't allowed to express sadness in cases like this.
As for this being a forum for healthy discussions, that should also include when someone has a different POV than just blindly giving congrats like so many do here.
I am sorry if I did not understand your response correctly but please clarify.

So no cropped ears=back yard breeder???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
TakirasDad said:


That is directed towards you. You seem to only show up here with negative things to say. I can quote exact posts if you would like me to.

Also I read DPDF I read what you say/said about us over here. I just scratch my head wondering why you still visit us when it is obvious how you feel about this forum and the way we run things. If you like I can quote exact posts from that forum as well. So do us all a favor and go be sad for Dakari over there where I am sure you will find many supporters to jump on your band wagon.

Just do us all a favor and leave if you don’t like it here. Everyone will be happier that way. I don’t look for confrontation, in fact I do my best to avoid it but sometimes there is no choice but to call a spade a spade.

TD
I am far from a troll and have never been called one before on any of the boards I am on. Doberman or not.
I have offered plenty of help and advice and support on this board and can also quote exact posts if you like.
The reason I keep coming back here is to try and educate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
The pictures of the sire along with the uncropped ears.

Maybe I'm having one of those days, but I did not understand your response again.

I do not see anything in the pictures that would indicate back yard breeder.
 
1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Top