Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was working in the yard, close to an avocado tree the Dogs haven't picked over yet (because it belongs to my neighbor). Mensa ate what must have been 10 avocados, enough to get her fill.

After she quit eating them, she gathered a bunch, one by one, and buried them. She was so funny, she would set the avocado down while she dug a hole. Then she would pick it up and walk around a while before placing it in the hole and covering it.

Sometimes she dug a hole, and left it empty, then dug another. I guess the first one wasn't just right.

I don't know if my other Dogs taught her to bury things, or if she thought of it herself. I have never seen any of my other Dogs bury things.

Does anyone else have a Dobie who buries things?

If so, what do they bury?

Do they remember where they buried their stuff?

Do they ever dig it up later?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Last summer, Chi dug a hole and buried a bone - I was so excited! I mean really, how Norman Rockwell is that? A dog who buries their bones! I'm sure she'd bury more given the opportunity but she rarely has the opportunity to just hang out in the yard. Outside time = frisbee, walks, hikes, beach etc....

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
My dogs love to bury things. Just not in the outdoor way. They bury toys and bones in the couch, under the couch, everywhere. They always remember where they are. It is a fun game to them to go back and find them later. Just not fun when I sit on them.

I don't take kindly to digging in my yard, so I keep it at a mininum. Although Harmony did wonderful trench work that one time in 2 minutes flat to get to the wild turkeys. I might hire her to build me a pond. The only allowed digging is in the snow to help me shovel. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
******* doesn't dig but my male tyson sure loves to hide things around the house. it's funny to watch him try and cover up a huge bone with a little towel or something. after he gets it the way he wants it he will turn around and look at me. if i don't act like i didn't see him he will move it to a different spot.lol

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I am only offering one guess as to which one of my lovely little girls does all the digging in my garden,and all she does is bury sticks!!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
DreamDoby said:
My dogs love to bury things. Just not in the outdoor way. They bury toys and bones in the couch, under the couch, everywhere. They always remember where they are. It is a fun game to them to go back and find them later. Just not fun when I sit on them.

******* does the exact same thing, I have pulled all kinds of toys and bones from in the couch.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I am with DreamDobey about digging in my yard, I don't much care for it. Now, my boys do have a sand pit by the play house, and Orson has been in love with that forever! Sometimes he will hide a toy in it (I know because the boys have dug it up) Sometimes he just searches in it like a treasure hunt (finding things the boys have buried and he needs chased to get back) :D

and brum are you picking on your little winner AGAIN?

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
brumwolf said:
I am only offering one guess as to which one of my lovely little girls does all the digging in my garden,and all she does is bury sticks!!
I Can Guess!!!! Because at 12 weeks old, her cousin is a digger already.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Haven't seen Java bury anything, but man can she dig if there's a critter in a hole! She will 'bury' her Nylabone by covering it with a small fleece blanket.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You mean you guys actually have Dobes that WILLINGLY get dirty??
LOL the only digging Tucker does is in the middle of our bed, and that's to make himself a nest...
he's convinced that if he got muddy that he would melt cause he really is that sweet ya know
dopey dog but we love him :)

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Not a digger, but a hider of her dog treats. She likes to hide them under the cat. Mostly when they are sleeping on the furniture, she will try to slide it under them. If she can't get it completely under the cat, she will try to nudge their tail to cover the rest of it. The cats are never amused by this.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Kratty said:
Not a digger, but a hider of her dog treats. She likes to hide them under the cat. Mostly when they are sleeping on the furniture, she will try to slide it under them. If she can't get it completely under the cat, she will try to nudge their tail to cover the rest of it. The cats are never amused by this.
LOL! That sounds really funny. My cat would LOVE that arrangement and would eat the treats so fast. She loves dog treats and dog food for that matter, and people food, and cat food...

Mine dig when they can, the female as a baby puppy they went digging the backyard, it looked really fun to her, esp. in the sand pit at one of our old homes. Both dig. They are really fast at it too and sometimes the youngest does zoomies while digging. They both do a lot of zoomies.
I train the digging out though (as much as I can).

They also bury things in the couches, under beds, and odd places sometimes here and there. Not treats though, those are eaten as soon as possible. They also "nest" in their bedding and places they choose to lay down.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
BackInBlack said:
I Can Guess!!!! Because at 12 weeks old, her cousin is a digger already.
Got it in one Amanda!!!!she probably has a new second name like her cousin too,Ziris No! and Mischa No!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
While I had an indoor bunny, my first dobe would bury her food by covering it with a sheet, then shoving it under a chest of drawers.
She also peed, the first night in a new apartment, and then went to the laundry basket, collected a clean sheet and put it over the pee. I worked the night shift and with all the moving that day, I forgot to let her out before I went to work.
I loved her and she loved me so much. She was a wonderful experience for a first doberman.

·
Registered
323 Posts
GKar is not a digger and he does not bury his things. The female, Tani that I keep , it seems like all the time will take her bones and bury them in the planters in the house. She would take GKar's bone, eat it then go dig up her's.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
rah buries all his bones and toys in the couch.

when hes eating outside though, he buries all his meat first before he eats it :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts