Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
Any feed back here would be appreciated from those who have had first hand experience dealing with a dobe and a smaller breed dog.

I currently have a 4 yr old spayed girl who is submissive by nature. She lives with 2 cats, one she raised from 2-3wk of age, (I may have helped a little). She plays gently with the one she raised and sleeps with both.

Now my 16yr old daughter would like to get a small breed dog she is looking at a pomeranian or papillon/maltese cross.

Can this work? I have been told horror stories about large dogs accidently injuring the smaller. I have also been told of how this can work wonderfully.

I need feedback. Thanks in advance to all.
Cheers!

·
Alpha
2,797 Posts
I have a Doberman with 5 small dogs (see my sig) but they were here first. For the most part the small dogs want nothing to do with the dobe, so he leaves them alone and you'll need to have a good "leave it" command in place for when the Dobe might want to play rough. Also, you do have to be careful when feeding so fights don't occur, a small nip from a Dobe can be deadly to a small dog.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I have a Doberman with 5 small dogs (see my sig) but they were here first. For the most part the small dogs want nothing to do with the dobe, so he leaves them alone and you'll need to have a good "leave it" command in place for when the Dobe might want to play rough. Also, you do have to be careful when feeding so fights don't occur, a small nip from a Dobe can be deadly to a small dog.
Y'know, I don't think I have seen any pictures of all of your other dogs lately!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have the command "don't eat the cat"-(translated don't run). She noses other small dogs while laying down as she does the cat but hasn't, yet taken to any mouthing of them. Good advice on the feeding as my girl has food out all the time and eats through out the day. Keeping her dish elevated for her I hope will/would help with that though. PS-he is gorgeous!
Thank you

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I had a Doberman and a toy poodle. 2 Dobermans and a Min Pin, Dobermans and a Sheltie and Dobermans and a Corgi. Never had any issues. Except for the Poodle, all the other smaller dogs came after the Dobes.

Reactions: littlebirdbabe

·
Registered
523 Posts
Many people on the list have small dogs and Dobermans together. My Dobe puppy lives with border terriers (15-20 pounds) and is a perfect fit with them. Borders are a bit tougher than a pom, though, and I don't really worry too much about anyone getting hurt during supervised play sessions. Actually, the only time we've had an injury thus far was the border accidentally hurting the Dobe. He actually prefers small dogs to large since that's who he spends the majority of his life with. He was raised with the little dogs from 9 weeks of age, so he has a pretty healthy respect for them. Terrier bitches live up to their name and he knows it! I am very careful to avoid ANY interactions that can lead to an argument since I realize Chase could do a lot of damage to a little one quickly.

Obviously, you have to know your girl, supervise any interactions closely, especially when the little one is young, and obviously keep her safe. I would not let a toy breed puppy on the ground with an adult Doberman for quite some time, me thinks. The potential for the Dobe accidentally hurting the pup is too high. Your girl is not a rambunctious pup, so if she is dog friendly and fairly laid back and tolerant, I don't see why you'd have a problem.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it possible to be so neurotic that you can make your dobie MORE neurotic? lol I have only had one "bad" experience wiht other dogs and her. It was completely human error-end result was that a little frenchie bit the hock on my girl sending her fleeing in terror! She doesn't seem to be any more cautious around others because of this incident.
I don't intend on having any unsupervised time between the two, I think the trick is balancing this with not making them both as nutty as the owner!

·
Haz Cookiez, won't share!
357 Posts
We are about to bring our new dobie girl into our family, we already have 3 Shih Tzu. I have owned a dobe previously for 10 years but had no other dogs. This will be a new experience for me totally. We have done our homework and are buying our girl from a good breeder, whom I have total trust in, their pups are well socialized with both dogs and children.
I am a firm believer in socialization from an early age.
I never feed any of my dogs together, they all have their own places to eat, food issues can often be one of the biggest problems that arise within a household.
My 3 little ones have been great with other dogs, my main concern will be one of my males. He hasn't got an aggressive bone in his body but he is grumpy! Both myself and my other half have taken plenty of time off work to socialize our new girl with our other furkids. If issues arise we can be at home to deal with them. She is 8 weeks old so at the moment I can't see too many issues arising. We are collecting her on Thursday :D

Good luck, I would introduce them slowly as you would with any other puppy breed you would bring into your home. Big and small dogs live together all the time in harmony so I guess proper introduction and monitoring the situation sensibly and carefully, you shouldn't have any problems. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a two year old cocker and we just introduced a dobe into the mix 2 months ago (the dobe is 4 months now). It's actually been really difficult because he (the dobe) wants to play rough with her all of the time. He's getting too big and it's just starting to piss her off.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Yes it can work but it can be lots of work. Kyrah, female dobe, wanted to play and play and play. Cujo, male, is very passive and totally avoids any conflict. He played with Kyrah the most and I did lots of redirecting otherwise she would have pestered him to death. Tippy, female, is/used to be the ruler of the house. Kyrah always respected her space and would play chase when Tippy decided to play. Fast forward Kyrah 16-17 months. Her and Tippy get into a real fight. It was a rough month or so after that Tippy totally avoided Kyrah. Now things have gotten much better. They have finally played together a bit of chase two times over the last 2 weeks. I watch them closely and separate them when I leave most of the time. Tippy normally stays in her kennel in the dinning room and Kyrah on the couch in the living room. So I would definately think about sexes. How to make the best match in your household.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 7 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
5,720 Posts
It's Possible, But Not Always Ideal

Our 1-yr old unaltered Dobe Spock grew up at home with our Lillah, who is a 13-yr old Terrier-Chi mix. They were about the same size when we brought Spock home from the breeder. As expected, Lillah wasn't too thrilled about sharing "her" house with a new hyper, obnoxious puppy. Well as Spock surpassed the one year mark, they have grown to live together quite well. Spock will taunt her to play, but she's like an old cranky lady whose had enough playing in life, besides that, she's a human, not a dog!

It seems like any attention for the females is better than no attention, even pestering! This sibling rivalry keeps Lillah spry in her old age. Attached are some photos showing some pleasant moments of relaxation together. Although Spock has grown to 80 lbs versus Lillah's 16 lbs. she still rules as "Alpha Bitch" of the house!

·
Registered
420 Posts
We have a 1 year old Dober boy, a 2 year old yorkie and 13 year old yorkie-poo.
The older girl doesn't like to play with any other dog, but the 2 year year old plays with the big boy like they are the same size. Well the were, for a minute! LOL

They are best buddies. And they play rough sometimes, but Lucy (the yorkie girl) will let Diesel (dober boy)know when enough is enough!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Have a Dachshund Patches is 4 months older than Buddy my Doberman the first 3 years were tough I still have to get on to him once in awhile for being too rough. It helped Patches was smart enough to get under the couch if Buddy got too rough playing she would not come out so I had a Buddy butt sticking up in the air he would look under the couch trying to get Patches to come back out.Very funny to watch but you have to have a leave it command for sure you must protect the little dog from the bigger dog.Good Luck

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a two year old cocker and we just introduced a dobe into the mix 2 months ago (the dobe is 4 months now). It's actually been really difficult because he (the dobe) wants to play rough with her all of the time. He's getting too big and it's just starting to piss her off.
I feel your pain. We're at 8 months with Roland now, and I can tell you it gets a lot better. Around 4 months, when Roland was teething, was the worst! Ella's a tough little dog so she loves to goad him into rough play, but during that time, she was often covered in little scratches from his needle teeth.

Bite inhibition is very real though. Roland essentially just puts his mouth around Ella now, and very rarely actually bites. And when he does, Ella nips him on the cheek and he gets the point. I've never seen the dogs raise hackles at one another, they have a rough but healthy relationship when it comes to play.

Be careful with the swinging paws as well - my biggest fear now is that Roland will paw Ella's eyes or hurt her back.

Unfortunately you're (OP) going to have to be super vigilant - no unsupervised play, and a close eye on the dogs at all times. But the work will pay off. Last weekend my wife had Ella out for the day. I went out for a few hours in the afternoon and left Roland in his crate. I picked up my wife and Ella and we all got home together. When we let Roland out of his crate, he was wagging his nub wildly, and instead of running to my wife or I for attention, he ran for Ella. I guess my point is, you can still have a strong bond between a big dog and a small dog, even when the big dog is still a puppy.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
When I brought Bacchus home we already had Yogi a neutered 7 year old lhasa apso. He weighed about 20 lbs. so things size wise were even. Energy and strength wise...no! They get along really well. No food aggression, toy aggression. I rarely have to remind Bacchus to take it easy when the play gets rough. They are buds.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I think it is much easier to add a small dog if your dobe is older. Puppies play so hard and are relentless. I have two littles 9 and 11 pounders and it was hard to have a doberman puppy grow up with them. He is 2 now and much more gentle although on occasion he still needs to be reminded to "leave it" or "gentle. He was never mean just playful and a big paw slam can hurt a tiny dog. He also plays in the body slam way and had to learn NOT to play that way with littles. Eli is not a gentle dog, he pushes his way through life using his body like a bull. It is his nature so I had to teach to be good. I personally would add an opposite sex puppy and it should be fine.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.