Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have a liver and tan Dobermann girl. She will be 7 in october. After years of toying with the idea of getting her spayed, i finally made the decision. So she was spayed last wednesday. The day she came out the op she was leaking wee. And the day after it happened again. We put it down to the effects of the anesthetic not wearing off and her not having full feeling towards her back end. Just to make sure we took her back to the vets anyway. The vet checked her over and said her bladder is fine and nothing has been caught inside during the op. But to be safe she asked us to take a water sample in. So later that day i got the sample and took it to the vets. She called me back to say she had a very low static gravity (urine concentration). So they day after she was back at the vets to have blood tests. And sure enough the vets concerns were right, she was diagnosed with early stages of kidney disease. She has now been put on a veterinary renal diet. With low protein levels and low phosphorus. The vet suggested Royal canin (as they are sponsered by them), But someone told me about Trovet renal. So she has been put on that instead. Same ingrediants just not such a well known name. A brand from Germany i think.

Anyway, just wondering if any of you have or have had a dog with this problem, that could offer any advice or tips for me??

Thank you

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I find it odd that blood tests were not done before surgery was done on your dog.

I have no real experience with kidney disease, however one of my girls had a low specific gravity and I went searching for some info on the yahoo group K9KidneyDiet.

In my case, the dog was on Propalin anyway for incontinence and the drinking/peeing seemed to subside for whatever reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure pre-neutering blood tests are regular procedure in th UK. The tests showed her kidneys were working at atleaset 75 %. And her static gravity is 0.04 at the moment. x

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Not so much a pre-neutering test, but she is a senior dog, around here they wouldn't even do any kind of operation without a full senior blood panel.

Did you take in a urine sample from the first pee in the morning? Is she drinking a lot of water? She would have had a lot of fluids in her from the surgery, so that may be affecting things as well I would think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She was on arden grange. She is not drinking or weeing anymore than she has her whole life. The urine sample was taken in two days after the op, so the vet thinks all excess fluids would have gone by then. Both urine tests were taken mid day. The next sample we take in has to be on a morning, first wee of the day. But the vet said, both samples were too low to just be retaining a bit of fluid. Thats why the blood tests were done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts