Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been to a million sites about the origin and they all name different breeds that went into the Dobermann. Today someone was like my friend has a min. Dobermann and I went on to say there not related and from there on he was asking me questions that I couldnt answer so thats why im here. Does anyone know exactly what Breeds went into the making of the Dobermann?
And can anyone explain how the German pinscher,Min pin, Manchester terrier, Rottweiler,Beauceron all came about and what relations if any to the Dobermann?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey I have some info, but I have got to run to work. I will be back on later on tonight and post the info I have. Until then you should be able to do some reading on the net (google is your friend...my friend).

Naveen

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
crxman321 said:
I've been to a million sites about the origin and they all name different breeds that went into the Dobermann. Today someone was like my friend has a min. Dobermann and I went on to say there not related and from there on he was asking me questions that I couldnt answer so thats why im here. Does anyone know exactly what Breeds went into the making of the Dobermann?
And can anyone explain how the German pinscher,Min pin, Manchester terrier, Rottweiler,Beauceron all came about and what relations if any to the Dobermann?
NO ONE knows exactly what breeds went into the making of the doberman. The reality is all doberman pedigrees deadend with eight dogs who were whelped in the early 1890's. We know the names of these eight dogs, but not much else about them...we don't even know if they were related to one another, purebred dogs or mixes themselves.There are a lot of guesses about what breeds might have been behind these eight dogs..but that's all it is, guesswork, since we can't trace pedigrees back any further than that. Those guesses can vary, depending on where you see them.

The DPCA Member Resource directory says it's generally accepted that two breeds were part of the foundation-the now extinct german shepherd (not the GSD breed of today) and the German Pinscher, which was the ancestor of the Rottweiler and the Weimeraner. I believe the German Pinscher was also the ancestor of the Min Pin.

Documented crosses were made to the original Doberman in the early part of the 20th century..two crosses were made to the Manchester terrier, in an attempt to improve the pigmentation of the markings. And black greyhound was brought in (I think the date was 1908) to increase prey drive.

So it's all shrouded in mystery for the most part. I think the link with most of the breeds you mentioned are a common ancestor. But maybe not..LOL, we'll probably never know for sure.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
In the book THE DOBERMAN PINSCHER Brains and Beauty by Rod Humphries & Joanna Walker it say's that Rod's research "provides compelling evidence that the Beauceron, or Berger de Beauce, whose recorded history dates to 1578, could be the major player."

I thought greyhounds were used to refine the breed.

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Banned
675 Posts
Murreydobe is right that nobody knows for sure which breeds went into the makeup of the original Doberman. Apparently Herr Dobermann didn't keep written records of what he was doing, and he might have been working with mixed breeds to begin with.

I read that the cross to the black Greyhound was to add elegance, not prey drive, but both could have been true. What is true is that the Doberman has a double suspension gallop, which is usually only something Sighthounds do.

Rod Humphries, with all due respect is not someone I have any respect for. He also wrote that the way to get rid of cardio was to inbreed your dogs until you eliminated it, which didn't seem to work very well for him. And he wrote that he didn't think the albinos were the problem for the breed most other DPCA members thought they were. And he wrote some kind of rant against the European Dobermans in the Doberman Quarterly magazine a few years ago. He's from Australia.

The topic of the Beauceron possibly being behind the Doberman was recently discussed on an email list I'm on. I have seen photos of some Beauces that do resemble Dobermans, and then I 've seen some that don't resemble Dobermans, looking more like German Shepherd Dogs.

The only two allowed colors in Beaucerons today are black/tan and merle, altho apparently they used to come in other colors like brown/tan but those are now disqualifications. I think if the Beauceron were behind the Doberman then the harlequin/merle pattern as well as the double rear dew claws would be cropping up in Dobermans and they don't seem to be.

The black/tan, brown/tan, blue/tan, fawn/tan color pattern of the Doberman is a colored version of wild wolf markings, google some wolf sites and take a look. You see this pattern in many dog breeds, so because a breed has those markings doesn't mean it is an ancestor of the Doberman. Some breeds, like the Gordon Setter and Rottweiler, *only* come in black/rust. Other breeds, like Salukis, Cocker Spaniels, have this color pattern along with a variety of others. Still other breeds have the same color/pattern with white addes, like Bernese Mountain Dogs and Greater Swiss Mountain dogs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts