Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am not sure where to post this but for the last 7-8 years my neighbors have kept a doberman it their backyard. Keep in mind that they have other homes and come here once in a while (2-3 times per month).They come and feed it but no one here has ever seen them walk the dog ( we are a very close kit community).At first when the barking began I spoke to them about it,of course they did nothing. I began calling humane societies,pounds,and even police.They did come over but did nothing because the dog had food,water,and an old igloo house.Eventually i called so much they had me sign and gather a petition,I did that as well but its been around 8 years now and nothing.I post this because over the past few weeks it has been so cold here in Los Angeles California,around 40 degrees and non stop rain.This dog barks day and night non stop and other neighbors throw stuff at it to keep it quiet but now he does not bark,he sounds like he is wailing,like shouting for distress.What is that wailing noise?Can these dogs do well in cold and really hot weather?What can be done? I know nothing about these sorts of dogs so sorry for all the questions..hoping someone can offer any feedback thank you.

·
Super Moderator
15,371 Posts
This is so incredibly sad. Thank you for feeling compelled to do something. Dobermans are very vocal, they are incredibly smart and social and need to be with a human companion. He is likely whining because he's emotionally and physically distressed from the lack of care. I suggest you keep a diary of when people come to the property and if they feed etc. and if there's water or not. And talk to neighbors about doing the same. Maybe set up a video camera from one of the ajoining properties. Have you tried to talk to the owners? Maybe if you offered to take him they'd give him up.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,102 Posts
It sounds like they are just keeping the dog in the yard to protect their property when they are not there. Do they feed him every day, or just leave enough in his dish to last until the next time they come by?

As an immediate action--do you have a way of contacting the owner directly? If so, I would call them and say something is wrong with their dog and that they should come take care of him, that he sounds very much in distress and could be in danger of dying.

But if he has shelter and some ability to curl up out of the wind and rain in an enclosed space, is free to move to stay warm (ie, not chained), and properly fed, he should be able to withstand 40 degree weather, though not comfortably. He sounds miserable.

If he sounds bad enough, you may be able to get animal control to take him in under an animal in distress rationale.

If you fear for his life tonight and if the dog can be approached, I might try take him into my house (or even garage, if it is enclosed and warmer than outside) for the night, and leave the owners a note that I have taken him in because I was afraid that he was dying, he sounded so bad. He is probably not house broken, and may not be socialized with people or other animals at all, however. You’d have to consider whether you could keep him safely in a dog-proof room in your house.

When they show up next, I would try to persuade them to place him with a rescue organization so they can find him a better home--have the name and phone numbers available at your fingertips so you can talk fast and maybe get them to agree.

I am not a law-breaker--but almost, if his living conditions and the amount of attention he receives are really as bad as you describe, I would be really tempted to “lose” him and turn him in as a lost dog to a shelter or rescue organization as a stray you have picked up, if you know of a non-kill shelter in the area. It doesn’t sound like he would miss his “family” at all or they him. REALLY I CAN'T RECOMMEND THIS--but........

Does your neighborhood have a noise or a nuisance barking ordinance? In the long run, you could tape him to prove how much he is barking and the owners may be forced to do something or place him somewhere else.

Unfortunately, some people are terrible owners and these sound like dirtbags to me. My heart aches for the dog. Thanks for all you’ve done trying to help this dog--I wish I could think of a constructive way to help you...and him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no way one can enter the property and that dog is EXTREMELY aggressive. I would only go near it if i was tired of living.I have thought about breaking him out before,but someone would definitely get attacked.

I do not speak to the owners as the many pound visits has caused a lot of friction between us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts