Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doberman doesn't run up to me when i call him or when i try to pet him he walks away. I wonder why? He follows me when i go running with him but right now he just ignoring me for some odd reason. Is it because he got his ears cropped? I was on vacation for 2 weeks and came back last week.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,620 Posts
How old is he? Have you worked on his recall? When I went to puppy class with Coco I learned you have to be the most interesting and exciting thing to your pup when working on recall. Sometimes you have to act really silly to get them back to you and always reward them when they come. Of course when they know their recall you do not have to reward with treats, verbal praise will do. Coco will be 3 this year and I always verbally praise her when we work on her recall. Have you done any training. If not I would highly recommend it. :butfly:

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I am assuming that he is young since you said the ears were just cropped. IMO seems you need to do some bonding. You should be the most fun and exciting thing around. You also need to teach the recall by doing some exercises using 100% positive methods. No fussing or being upset if he doesnt come or takes a second to come. Always happy. Last but not least do not call him to come unless you know he is going to come or you can enforce the come.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Also... Are you running with a pup that young? Very bad for development if so. A growing dog should not go on a run until growth plates are closed. 18 months give or take. If you just mean playing in the yard disregard that :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
First, he's just a puppy and he is not blaming you or mad at you for having his ears cropped (that's silly). I also would suggest more time spent bonding, especially since it sounds like he hasn't seen you in two weeks. Try an obedience class, they're fantastic for bonding and if you have training issues somebody will be there to help you out :]

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
How old is this puppy--who was taking care of him when you were gone on vacation for two weeks?

Like little kids, if you are out of their life for even a couple of weeks puppies need to get reacquainted. I'd be carrying treats all the time and make sure I'm the one feeding the puppy and taking him on short walks.

I'll say ditto to the fact that if you are really taking him running with you and he is young enough that his ears are newly cropped he's too young for running with you--loose in a yard playing on his own alone or with you is one thing but running at a speed you choose and for a length of time you choose is probably not a good thing--this sort of thing should be off his agenda until he's old enough that his growth plates have closed--in males usually somewhere between 12 to 18 months.

Give him a reason to come to you--when he seems to be about to come your way anyway offer him a treat.

It's pretty hard to offer any sort of realistic advice when no one knows how old he is though. Different things work best at different times of a puppy's life.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I learned this recall exercise and to this day I swear by it:

Start with your dog/pup maybe about 10 feet from you. Always use the same phrase. For me, its Lexie NOW!!! then I make idiotic high pitched pup pup pup pup.

When your dog comes to you, have a REALLY good treat. Something you will only use for this recall exercise. I like the italian roast beef, the smellier the better. So,when your dog comes to you, praise him/her but be VERY exagerated. As you do, give VERY tiny bits of your treat to them. Praise them for a FULL one minute. Doesn't sound like a long time but it really is. Do it a few more times.

Next day do it again. Get further away as your pup gets better. When the exercise is perfected, do it once a week and then maybe once a month. Don't over use this.

One day Lexie got away from me, and she was headed for the road with alot of traffic. I was terrified. I yelled LEXIE NOW!!!! PUP PUP PUP and she stopped dead, turned around and ran to me. I would never not teach my dog emergency recall. AND it is a great bonding exercise to do! :D

·
Registered
990 Posts
What's in it for him to come up to you? Do you have a treat, toy, etc? Make yourself exciting and fun...give him a treat when he comes to you...I bet he will want to be around you then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts