Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my 1 year old doberman has lately started losing weight. Do any of you have suggestions for him to gain weight. But not fat, more lean muscle? I have searched through the forum and have tried a lot of the stuff already but no luck. I'm hoping someone has some good tips to make my dog look fuller.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
How much are you feeding him?
What are you feeding him?
Is he intact or neutered?
How much exercise is he getting?
What type of exercise is he getting?

All these can be a factor in weight, he might not be underweight at all, its hard to understand the proper weight of a doberman if you are a first time owner of one. Have you asked your vet what their opinion on the matter is?

Males seem to have a harder time keeping weight on them than females, typically after you neuter they tend to gain weight and keep it on.

do you have pictures? Even if you do its hard to tell with pictures whether or not he is at a good weight.

If he is getting a lesser quality dog food they might not be getting the nutrients that he needs.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
it's very easy to get a dog to gain weight
feed them your scraps
]after you learn what dogs CAN"T eat...example RAISins are poison==etc....

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
maybe post pics
Dobermans are not full looking dogs=they are lean looking dogs
and like humans muscle comes from working out...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes my dog has been evaluated by the vet. The vet claims that he maybe eating less because of the summer heat. The vet suggested that I change his dog food and I have, but it is not working.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Yes my dog has been evaluated by the vet. The vet claims that he maybe eating less because of the summer heat. The vet suggested that I change his dog food and I have, but it is not working.
Did your vet do any bloodwork, or, at the very least, a fecal? If not, you might want to go to another vet, and get a second opinion. Personally, I would be very concerned if my dog was losing muscle mass.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did your vet do any bloodwork, or, at the very least, a fecal? If not, you might want to go to another vet, and get a second opinion. Personally, I would be very concerned if my dog was losing muscle mass.
Hello, yes he has had full rounds of test. I'm not just looking for weight but for muscle. The vet actually recommended a supplement called buffk-9 I just started on it and I'm a bit skeptical but I have tried everything and this is my last resort. I will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe post pics
Dobermans are not full looking dogs=they are lean looking dogs
and like humans muscle comes from working out...
very true. I have seen a couple nicely muscled in a healthy way. So, I'd like to add some good muscle. We will see what happens with my new regimen. If you have any new tips that would be great. A lot of people use satin balls recipe but I don't want to add just fat weight if you know what I mean.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
To add muscle, you need to add excercise and strength training. I know there are some books out there about strength training performance dogs. Maybe check out the Dogwise website, and see if they have any.

Reactions: texasdobi

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To add muscle, you need to add excercise and strength training. I know there are some books out there about strength training performance dogs. Maybe check out the Dogwise website, and see if they have any.
Thank you for your advice!

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
He's also only 1 year old, which is still puppy-ish. Keep in mind that he still has some growing to do. If he's losing weight, it's more than likely because he's growing still and needs the energy. There's a reason why people say to wait until a year and a half for the growth plates to close before doing any serious training with a dog that young. It might take till closer to 2 years old before he fills out and adds muscle. A one year old Doberman is like a teenager- not quite at his adult weight and muscle.

I had a collie pup who was a skinny guy, eating 5-6 cups of food a day and not putting on weight. When he hit a year and a half to two years, he finished filling out, adding coat and muscle, and after that had no problem maintaining weight. He was a service dog too, and was very active. Dogs aren't magically finished growing at a year old, and in this case, he was growing quickly and burning energy like a madman. If I fed Griffin 6 cups of food a day, at 7 years old, he'd weigh as much as a small pony by now. He does fine on 2 cups (eats Fromm, and some raw).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to keep everyone updated, I have been using the weight supplements and I have noticed that my dogs energy level seems to be higher. But, I still need to wait to see if he will gain the proper weight! Thank you everyone for all the different tips of exercises and food!.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts