Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone - Recently had to say good by to my 14 year old GSD. She was the most wonderful companion, and adapted to city life exceptionally well. My questions are, with lots of outdoor exercise, how to Dobies fare with condo living? Also, do they shed a ton like GSDs or just moderately. Main differences between the breeds? differences in male and female Dobies? Thank you so much, if anyone knows a lot about GSDs and dobies and knows the answers to at least one of my questions, please post back. Thank You so much....Winifrdg

·
Registered
12,003 Posts
Back in 1977, I got my first dobe puppy and lived in an apartment...for the first year.
We then lived a block away from a park, so exercise & 1 hour/day obedience training was easy to fit in.
She fared great in the apartment, but a few people didn't like her (just scared of the breed) & the owner started to give us a hard time...so we rented a semi (1/2 house)...when our 1 year lease was up.
Our first dobe lost a lot of hair, but she wasn't on good food...I didn't know better, back then.

Our current dobe gets holistic/organic kibble plus 2 home cooked meals daily of meat/veggies/rice.
She looses very/very little hair, coat is soft & shiny.

My Dobes didn't like the rain or cold snow, for very long.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I've got a Dobe and GSD combo and have fostered dobes and GSDs together in apartments. My experiences:

Doberman is a velcro dog and is happiest wherever you are. Exercise makes a dog happy, not space. GSDs are more loud, the Dobes have been more observant and prefer the staring game at strangers. Dobes do not shed nearly as bad as shepherds but they do shed, it's just not in the form of tumbleweeds. Main differences I've noticed is that GSDs tend to be more anxious and more on patrol whereas Dobermans have been more calm in the head and up your butt every chance they get.

This is a video of my dobe and GSD in my old 1 bedroom apartment, space was extremely tight but the dobe was still happy :)
q8Kp9zLkPv8

and this is a video of my doberman in another apartment I used to live in that was 2 bedrooms. In total there were 5 dogs together in that space. My female husky, male intact doberman, female GSD foster puppy, my roommates intact giant schnauzer, and his male doberman. The ending is the best :)
p9R2_2lA1pI

·
Registered
468 Posts
I agree with what was said above. In my experience, if you can get out and exercise thoroughly once per day then the limited space of a condo should be of no consequence. My dobe sheds a good amount, but I don't have experience with a GSD. He also barks quite a bit especially when he sees animals or people outside while in the house.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!!

totally agree with ZeldaRules!

the first dog that owned me was a GSD, i did love him, he was an awesome dog and companion.

he was more 'vocal' than the Dobes are, and way more anxious in certain situations.

Dober hair gets........everywhere! :) lots of short, 'sturdy' hairs.

Mine shed out twice a year, but will drop hair here and there all year yound. :)

Hugz to you and yours!

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
One thing I've never mentioned before that I notice a lot is how different GSD's are in regards to their space. They don't plow through (me), over,(me)under(me)...you can substitute (me) for pretty much anything...:D

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
ZeldaRules, great videos. I haven't had a GSD, but one of Kiss's favorite playmates at Doggie Day Care is a GSD named Hades. They get along great and she really loves him. I live in a duplex that is really small. I DID end up investing in partial privacy fence because the new neighbors had a problem with Kiss. They don't like ANY dogs, but especially her. The Dobie phobia thing again.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts