Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We now have a 14mo old Doberman we bought from a breeder. Well a friend of my girlfriend told her that Doberman's turn on their owners when they're 4 - 5yrs old. Now, she's concerned he'll turn on our son eventually who's now 9yrs old. Any advice/experience anyone can give me to give her? Thank!

·
Premium Member
9,014 Posts
Your girl friends -- friend has NO idea what she is talking about :grin2: Gee wiz - with friends like that , who needs enemies !

We have had Dobermans since 1981 and have never had one turn on us . As time goes on , they are so attached to you it's unbelievable - they are and will be your best friends ill there last breath -

As far as your son and your Dober - they will have a unbreakable bond , if they do anything together , play ball , sleep together , you name it , What I have seen is that Dobermans do get protective of kids - they protect them .

I'm not saying a 100 % it can't happen - if it did , it would be a one in a million .

If you got your Dober from a reputable breeder - then I would really never have a concern , Really , maybe the best thing to do is call your breeder and tell them what you had heard - hearing from them might settle things down better than getting info off the internet .

Best of luck !

Doc

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
That's an OLD rumor, and one that should sound familiar - they say that about any bully breed mix you find in a shelter, too.

Some poorly bred examples haven't been wired right. But they are about as far from the norm as you can get.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
agree with Ecin who needs friends like that. One of the worst old rumors regarding this breed. Have had Dobies for 35yrs. They are so damn attached to you. You might wonder how the hell you ever went to the bath room by yourself. That person has no idea what they are talking about, tell her to be quite

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
You know what? I've had Dobes since 1959 and have never had any of my Dobe's "turn" on me--it's as old a rumor as the one about Dobes going crazy and attacking because when they get older there brain gets too big for their skull and it causes aggression. Hogwash.

Over the years I've had things happen that would cause any dog (much less a Doberman ) to "turn" on me. I've fallen on my dogs (and hurt them and they did nothing except apologize for getting in my way. I've sat on dogs who where asleep in a chair (where they were not supposed to be) in a dark room at night--they usually cried about it scaring the pants off of me because I wasn't expecting it. I stood in at surgeries where we did not want to fully anesthesize an older dog while the vet did whatever (usually a growth removal) with a local (lidocaine) and maybe a mild sedation...

Ask your breeder--as ECIN suggested.

For the record--I've been bitten by chihuahua's --from those that knew me to those who didn't--and they account for most of the dog bites I've ever had.

I can't believe that old wife's tale is still going around.

dobebug

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Your Doberman will become even more attached to you as he matures and learns to trust you. The adoration and devotion you will receive from this dog you will find nowhere else. I have owned many different breeds in my lifetime (76yrs) and LOVE dogs. I have never seen the amount of love from any dog that a Doberman can give and it only gets worse the longer you have him/her. And when it comes time for them to leave, then your heart will be torn.

·
Premium Member
9,014 Posts
The adoration and devotion you will receive from this dog you will find nowhere else

How true ! I will also add that your Dober will love you more than your girl friend ! I'm not kidding here ! Heres how you prove it !

Next day when it's like 90 , very humid - when your girlfriend is coming home - Lock your door and make her stand out in the heat for 5 minutes - may not take that long , Then repeat with your Doberman - See which one is still glad to see yeah when you let them in ! :grin2: I got 10 bucks that says your girlfriend won't be waging her tail and happy see yeah :grin2:

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
If that were REALLY true do you think anyone would own a Doberman? "Gee, I know it's going to rip my face off but look how cute it is as a puppy!" lol.

If that were even partially true do you think anyone would own a Doberman? I would expect that your breeder had dogs that were at least 4 or 5 were the breeders mauled to death by their dog? None of us would go through the doberteens if we knew it only ended with us being mauled lol. In fact, I'm writing you from heaven (ahem, more likely hell) because my dog is 5 and I'm now dead lol. Because if one of these dogs turned you would either be extremely maimed or dead.

I think it's funny that she would even have said that because you know she didn't experience that and you know she didn't read that so basically she overheard it somewhere and instead of doing her due diligence continues the spread of an outlandishly false rumor.

·
Registered
Athena (Husky), Kenai (Malamute/Husky mix), Dobie Puppy coming 2021
413 Posts
Aren't there rumors like that about every dog?

I think my "favorite" doberman rumor is about the brain swelling.......

Dobermans are velcro dogs because they are so attached to their humans. My advice, tell your girlfriend's friend to stop giving advice and do some proper research.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
This made me revisit a conversation I had with someone way back when we got Deckard. He asked me if I was going to feed my puppy gunpowder to make him mean.

Did people ever do that for real?!

·
Premium Member
9,014 Posts
This made me revisit a conversation I had with someone way back when we got Deckard. He asked me if I was going to feed my puppy gunpowder to make him mean.

Did people ever do that for real?!
faln - I think that's just a old wifes tale - LOL

I tried it when I was a kid and all it did for me was to blow holes in the back of my pants :grin2::grin2:

·
Alpha schmalpha
3,930 Posts
I think that any examples of a normal family pet "turning" on someone is the owner or person in care of the animal not recognizing a change in the health of the dog. Large animals with the potential of inflicting damage are seen as to big of a threat and in the past have ignorantly been put down.

I have had this conversation a few times with people relating a childhood experience with dobes as a pet:frown3::crying:

·
Big Lil pup
6,159 Posts
Yup... Serious danger. My grandkids (1 and 3 1/2) are constantly in danger of being "snuggled to death" or being "flayed alive" by a frantically wagging nubbie by their 10 yo and my 5 yo.

Now... A 12 week old puppy? Watch out!!! Grrr!

LOL
John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

1 - 18 of 18 Posts