Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and my wife just got a 9m old doberman male lastnight and ever since we brought him home his focu has been on my wife little chihuahua. he seems like he is playing but he bites her and it hurts her. the chihuahua has been under the couch and the doberman is there the whole time looking and trying to lick or bite her what do i need to do about this?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'd keep them apart until you can get better control of the doberman. Obviously a doberman can do a lot of damage to a little dog.....even just playing. Get a crate and any time you can't keep a close on him, he goes in the crate. I would probably consult a trainer for this one given the dog's age and the potential for harm.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Simple. Keep them separated until they get used to each other. Always monitor their interactions, and don't leave them alone together. This is always a good idea with a small dog, because even though the dobe is playing, one mistake and it's trouble for your chi. If you have a baby gate, you can put it in a doorway for a while until they get used to each other, and take it slowly. Your dobe is still a pup, he just needs to be taught some manners.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Its usually best to make a slow introduction rather than put them together right away. The suggestions we were given is that the current dog should be given the scent of the new dog to get acquainted with before the new dog comes into the house then the two should be introduced on neutral territory, somewhere away from the home.
After that they should be given time to adjust to each other in the home, but gradually.

Reactions: Adara and Sherryh

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks and we just went to pet smart andhe was ok in there or a bout 10 min the he started barking at every dog and slightly growling at them. Then i took him outside while my wife bought the things from petsmart and everytime he seen another dog he started barking and wanted to go after them. plzz help i dont know what to do

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
How long have you had him? If you've just taken him home he may not have had much guidance yet (which this breed needs LOTS of) and he is still very young. He needs exercise, and he needs structure.

Are there any good classes nearby where you can go and work on his focus on you with other dog distractions around? Have you ever read up on or heard of clicker training?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
thanks and we just went to pet smart andhe was ok in there or a bout 10 min the he started barking at every dog and slightly growling at them. Then i took him outside while my wife bought the things from petsmart and everytime he seen another dog he started barking and wanted to go after them. plzz help i dont know what to do
At 9 months it's very hard to tell from information in a post whether the puppy is doing anything other than having bad manners and trying to get other dogs to play. What you've described could be aggression but is just as likely to be a dog wanting to play with other dogs.

I'd strongly advise finding a good Obedience class (ask at your vets office for suggestions--often the vets or the employees know who the good trainers are in an area). Getting your dog into controlled situations where there is a knowledgeable person to help you learn to teach the dog control is very helpful.

The odds are very good that a dog at 9 months (where, exactly did he come from) no matter where he came from has not had much training. A lot of young males end up in rescue at around that age because the first owner has not done any training and the dog is out of control and it's evidently easier to get rid of the dog than to teach it something.

Same sort of situation as that of your chihuahua and the Dobe--Dobe doesn't know how to behave appropriately so he does what untrained dogs do. Plays too rough, scares the chihuahua and gets in trouble with you.

Training is going to be the key to this young fellow.

·
Super Moderator
21,744 Posts
I think you need a professional trainer to evaluate. Like dobebug said, it's hard to tell from descriptions whether he's being aggressive or playful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how do i calm him down when he sees others dogs? he goes crazy and its to control so i have to take him inside. i am scared to take him to the dog park in my neighborhood because of the fact he acts that way and i dont want him to start fighting with other dogs

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Do you know anything about obedience training, have you taken other dogs to classes?

Because your pup is 9 months old, you are going to need some strong direction and if you haven't a training background, you especially need classes or a professional.

What kind of collar are you using with your 9 month old? In this case, I would recommend a good pinch collar (not a choke chain) --- AND plenty of instruction on how to effectively use it.

You want to train, but not harm the spirit of your doberman. They're very intelligent, but they need instruction, exercise (work), and plenty of bonding with their humans.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
From your posts he sounds rude with the chihuahua and reactive on leash with other dogs. You really should get him evaulated by a trainer as it is impossible to really get an idea on what is going on over the internet.

If he is in fact reactive a prong/pinch collar may make him much much worse.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Find a trainer! Read up on training and clicker training. Supervise him! Work with your trainer. 9 months of bad habits is something a Doberman can run with, if not taught and shown the right way. A 9 month old Doberman can also be a hard to handle force of nature, which is why we're all so strongly recommending a trainer who can assess your dog and help you both learn together.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i we went to dog park today and he was fine around other dogs. when he seea another dog he barks and wants to go after them but once he gets up to them, he just sniffs them and then goes on about his business and runs around. he is also hard headed and doesnt listen when we are around other dogs and people and sometimes at home, he seems to get distracted easily. sometimes he acts like he doesnt know his name and only listens when he wants, he knows the basic commands but only does them when he wants even when offerd treats. we also went back to petsmart and he did fine just didnt stop barking when he seen other dogs.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
well i we went to dog park today and he was fine around other dogs. when he seea another dog he barks and wants to go after them but once he gets up to them, he just sniffs them and then goes on about his business and runs around. he is also hard headed and doesnt listen when we are around other dogs and people and sometimes at home, he seems to get distracted easily. sometimes he acts like he doesnt know his name and only listens when he wants, he knows the basic commands but only does them when he wants even when offerd treats. we also went back to petsmart and he did fine just didnt stop barking when he seen other dogs.
You've have your dog for, 2 days? At 9 months he's still a puppy. He sounds as though he might be afraid or reactive. It sounds like you are perhaps not versed in the breed or in training (this last is just speculation, not an insult). Have you done any of what anybody suggested? If not, I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

Please, get involved with a trainer. Please, set your dog up to succeed, not fail. Don't just take him places to see how he'll act, and report on whether he'll bark or not. Educate yourself, and be responsible with your Doberman; they can be a difficult breed, if you don't step up to the plate in education for everybody involved. They can be difficult, publicly, because people have a lot of preconceptions about Dobermans.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
At 9 months, with little to no control over your dog the last place he should be is a dog park. Please dont take this the wrong way, its meant to help you but I have to say ti, please do NOT take him to a dog park again until you have him trained! I say this for your benefit, a dog that has little or no respect for his owner's authority is not a dog that anyone wants in a dog park, especially a doberman. Our breed has a bad enough rap as it is, and if something were to happen, heaven forbid, like he were to get into a fight with another dog, whether it be his fault or the other dog, it could leave you devastated.
Get into training classes or hire a trainer to help you get control of your dog. It will make both of you happier. Once properly trained then you can go enjoy the dog park without the worry of your dog not listening when you recall him and without the worry of him getting into a situation you cannot control.

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
A well trained Dobe is a thing of wonder and beauty, the best companion you can ask for, but a misbehaving toddler/teenager with a full set of teeth and strength can be very destructive.

You really need a trainer to evaluate and help you learn about this magnificent breed you've brought home.

I hope you follow this advice and seek out a class/teacher who can teach you how to teach your dobe how to be a gentleman.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts