Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:tongue23: xxx
Just for fun, thought we could start a trivia thread... I'll start it out super easy since I'm basically ignorant of this subject :eek2:

Who is the founding father of our beloved breed?

The one who answers correctly can ask the next question and so on....

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh Oh how fun!! I am so bad at these things but I love to read them!! Keep going guys I will be looking forward to reading more! :dancing_b

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sorry - I owe you a question.

This one is harder, but the answer is easily found on the 'net and it's very interesting reading about the history of the breed.

ILLENA AND THE SEVEN SIRES is a famous article by Peggy Adamson, one of the all time great doberman breeders

Who were the seven sires???

·
Registered
19 Posts
In 1951, the top sires were:
Ch. Westphalia's Rameses--11 Ch.
Ch. Favoriet Von Franzhof--13 Ch.
Ch. Westphalia's Uranus--14 Ch.
Ch. Emperor of Marienland--18 Ch.
Ch. Domossi of Marienland--20 Ch.
Ch. Alcor V. Millsdod--26 Ch.
Ch. Dictator Von Glenhugel--37 Ch.
This noteworthy group established the famous "SEVEN SIRES" that laid the foundation of the Doberman in this country.

Of interest also is that of the foundation "Seven Sires"---three died as a result of heart attacks:
Domossi at the age of 7
Emperor at the age of 8
Alcor just before his 10th birthday.
Emperor is the son of Domossi.
The other four lived beyond 10 years
Dictator, Domossi and Favoriet were reds; Alcor and Rameses were dominant black; and Emperor and Uranus were #3's -- black and carrying red. None carried dilution.

copied straight from http://www.dpca-breedered.com/tail_male_history1.htm

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
thoroughbred said:
leaning away from history - into anatomy

what is the name of the bone in the dogs penis?
The Os Penis is a bone inside the shaft of a dog's penis.

Next question:

Who was OttoGoeller and what importance did he have on the Doberman Breed?

DA

·
Banned
375 Posts
Otto Goeller founded the Doberman Pinscher Club in 1899.....in Apolda Germany...

In 1899 Otto Goeller founded the National Doberman Pinscher Club in Apolda Germany. In the same year a standard was established for breeders to observe, and for specimens to be judged against. The formation of the Club and the standard, set a clear direction for the breed and insured the use of purebred dogs in future breedings. Random mongrel breedings ceased and the bloodlines for perhaps one of history's greatest dogs was created. Those actions in 1899 represent the genesis of what we now recognize as the Doberman Pinscher.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
The origins of the Doberman Pinscher come from Apolda in Thuringen, Germany in the 1890's. Most authorities feel they came from a shorthaired shepherd, the Rottweiler, a German smooth-haired Pinscher and a Black and Tan Terrier. Their name comes from Louis Dobermann, a keeper of the local dog pound, who developed the breed as he was searching for the ideal guard dog and companion.
The German Pinscher was probably the foundation breed that Herr Dobermann used to build his new strain of dog. This type of dog was described as being rather non-descript in looks, but the reputation of temperament that this dog had was one of alertness and aggressiveness.
The Rottweiler was used in the development of the breed due to its massiveness and intelligence. This very solid dog also possessed great stamina, and had excellent tracking ability. Sometimes the Rottweiler strain can be seen in a Doberman with a "wavy" coat.
The Manchester Terrier contributed the black-and-tan coloration, and the short, shiny coat. The Doberman inherited some of the elegant looks, the refinement and line of this breed of dog.
The Beauceron contributed size and color to the Dobermann bloodline. The Beauceron was a solidly built dog, very alert, and was known to be intelligent as well.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Okay from 1907-2005 at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show only 4 times have dobermans have ever won Best in Show.
Name the winners and the dates.....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Of interest also is that of the foundation "Seven Sires"---three died as a result of heart attacks:
Domossi at the age of 7
Emperor at the age of 8
Alcor just before his 10th birthday.
Emperor is the son of Domossi.
The other four lived beyond 10 years
Dictator, Domossi and Favoriet were reds; Alcor and Rameses were dominant black; and Emperor and Uranus were #3's -- black and carrying red. None carried dilution.
Now that's interesting. I wonder why I never saw this thread before?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Lexus said:
Okay from 1907-2005 at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show only 4 times have dobermans have ever won Best in Show.
Name the winners and the dates.....
I can't give you the exact dates, but the dogs were:

Ferry v Rauhfelsen (1940's)
Ch. Rancho Dobe's Storm (1950's) (won 2 consecutive years)
Ch. Royal Tudor's Wild As The Wind UDTX ROM..Indy had a CD when she won Westminster, and is still the only obedience titled dog to go BIS there. I believe she won in 1988.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts