Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My apollo is 7 months old and is still not grasping, heel, or recall comands but will do tricks in the house so he is not daft maybe crafty.

When walking we have tried everything and i mean everything but to no avail, when we let him have a run he will not even look at us when we recall him again we have tried everything.

I heard of this magical trigger dobermans have in there brain thus far i have never heard of any method of to tap into this magical world.

Can anyhelp or i have got the demon dog of the litter.

Thanks. !!!

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Have you enrolled in a local obedience class to get help on teaching the basics? Or do you have a local trainer you can work with? I'd recommend that ASAP. To start, only take him out with a long line (20') so he can run but you have instant control. There are too many things to list to do a basic class on the internet!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm still training mine as well, and it seems, u have to teach everything twice, once without distractions and once with distraction. So this is where training classes will help, or you could train outside or at a dog park with, like ellenm said, a 20' line.

·
Registered
772 Posts
When you start training you should only do recalls and use the word "COME" when you know for a fact he will come to you, so in the beginning only use 'come' when he's on a leash and if he doesn't come pull him towards you so he knows what it means. Otherwise the word 'come' will mean nothing to him. Mona is 8months and in her 2nd obediance class and I still don't use the word 'come' very often, only when I know she will come to me (when she knows I have treats OR when I know 100% of her attention is focused on me). Also, a good way to practice recalls is to make it fun so when you're practicing and say 'come' start running in the other direction----It's like they're playing with you, running after you. This way they start to learn the word 'come' means fun (or treats!). But only do this when it's just you and him, or another person, no other dogs around...to make sure he does indeed do what you ask.

Mona is still learning heel, it takes time and lots and lots of yummy treats.

Reactions: Stone Hill

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Hi, My apollo is 7 months old and is still not grasping, heel, or recall comands but will do tricks in the house so he is not daft maybe crafty.

When walking we have tried everything and i mean everything but to no avail, when we let him have a run he will not even look at us when we recall him again we have tried everything.

I heard of this magical trigger dobermans have in there brain thus far i have never heard of any method of to tap into this magical world.

Can anyhelp or i have got the demon dog of the litter.

Thanks. !!!
LOLLOLOLOLOL! Magical trigger?????? LOLOLO your not serious??????? who told you that? LOLOLOLO
Its called being a 7mth old male puppy......... let him grow up!!! he will be a great dog later right now he's a baby and wants to have fun....... males can take up to 2 yrs before they start to be thinking like an adult.... I LOVE the males! they are be mush bags LOL
Dont worry so much.
JMHO

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
One very good way to get the dog to come to you is to have someone PREVENT him from coming to you. Have some one hold him back and run away from him calling his name. When he starts barking then have your partner let him go and when he comes give him a lot of praise and play time. Do this at the end of every session. As others have said don't set him up to fail at this point, don't overdo it and make it fun!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh my Gawd!!!! I cant belive the dumb things people come up with about these dogs LOLOLOLOOLOL!
Yes very dumb indeed, it's the same people that look at dobermans as evil monsters that come up with them. I asked because on two seperate occassions people have asked me if I knew that. I simply gave them the "ohhh... umm.. I didn't know" :nocom::poster_stupid:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Speaking of myths, I keep getting the one "don't you know that your dogs brain WILL outgrow his skull and he WILL kill you?" I cant believe people still think this is true...why would people breed them if it were true? One guy even told me that it happend to his uncles dobe, and thats why the dog died.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Speaking of myths, I keep getting the one "don't you know that your dogs brain WILL outgrow his skull and he WILL kill you?" I cant believe people still think this is true...why would people breed them if it were true? One guy even told me that it happend to his uncles dobe, and thats why the dog died.
I have a couple things I throw back at the idiots who say that one.

I look at them, deadpan, and say, "Just before that happens, they tend to just start attacking anything and everything. Why, just the other day, I had to pull her off a brick building. Had her teeth sunk straight into those bricks."

Once I have their attention with that, I generally point out what happens with hydrocephaly/shunt babies...i.e. the sadness of a severely handicapped child being rolled around in a wheelchair. I then ask them how a dog so severely disabled/brain injured would be capable of "attacking."

Works every time.

Reactions: jeepin2k

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a couple things I throw back at the idiots who say that one.

I look at them, deadpan, and say, "Just before that happens, they tend to just start attacking anything and everything. Why, just the other day, I had to pull her off a brick building. Had her teeth sunk straight into those bricks."

Once I have their attention with that, I generally point out what happens with hydrocephaly/shunt babies...i.e. the sadness of a severely handicapped child being rolled around in a wheelchair. I then ask them how a dog so severely disabled/brain injured would be capable of "attacking."

Works every time.
The first part is HILARIOUS, the second part sad, but I like that way of saying hey......you're stupid. :wavey:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts