Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I admit it: I was unprepared for the level of affection heaped on my wife and I from Lasker-our now 3 yr. old red male Doberman. The only comparison I can make from past dogs is with the sweet-natured Beagle I had as a boy.
Come to think of it, Lasker's temprement around the house is more like a Beagle than our fiesty (although affectionate) Airedale we lost this year. Is your Doberman all hugs & kisses, too?

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
Yes. Both of them are extremely affectionate at home. Just a few minutes ago I was in the kitchen making my nightly mug of hot tea and I had both girls leaning on me, nosing their heads into my hands, etc. I sat down on the floor for a few minutes with them and Fiona sat in my lap while Tali stared lovingly at me and gave me small kisses while I was petting them. They're extremely sweet dogs IME.

Tali has been a complete love since the day I met her. Fiona has gotten sweeter by the month this last year, I swear. When Fiona is tired she's about 50 x's sweeter still.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Elka is very very sweet....and very cavalier about accidentally stomping on us!

She cuddles vigorously, gives lots of kisses, "hugs" us back when we hug her, and in general wants to be with us and know what we're doing.

·
Censored
716 Posts
Doc was wild as could be as a puppy... he didn't want to have anything to do with being cuddled or hugged or loved and would use any available human as a launching pad but NOW he is 80lbs of lovebug! All he wants to do is cuddle and be on my lap... whether I want it or not. He crawls up on the bed with me now and insists on sleeping right up next to me with his head on the pillow. He is extremely intuitive and knows when I am sad, he gives so many dober-hugs and kisses it always cheers me up and makes me smile. He truly is my best friend.

There is nothing in this world I wouldn't do for him in return for his undying love and affection.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Ssssshhh, its a secret. Dobermans are vicious and ferocious.
Right.

Chaos, our 9yr old Red Female, will allow us to pet her and admire her beauty. She gives kisses if she really likes you. Don't make the mistake of crowding her or trying to hug her.

Zack, the new adoptee, and big dufus, is a lovebug. At 8 months, the poor thing had been shipped to four different homes, but is still full of love. He kisses and hugs. I lye on the floor and wrap myself around him and smother him with kisses. He sleeps in the bed and gives wonderful cuddles with his big paws wrapped around my head. He is not exactly gentle,the big horse, but he sure is sweet!!!

I love being affectionatte with my dogs and horses so they learn to tolerate momma smothering them with kisses. My husband says "if he only got 10% of that attention"......

·
Registered
382 Posts
People are always surprised by how much of a suck Dakota is. She's so aloof around people she doesn't know well. It takes a while for her to accept most people but as soon as she decides they are A-okay it's like a switch flips and she's all cuddles and kisses and lovin with them! It's really great, one of my favourite traits. I much prefer a dog who could care less for attention from strangers but lavishes affection on those they know and like.

I agree with the kisses thing, Flaminscotch! I know a lot of dogs get stressed if a person puts their face close to theirs, but Dakota actually likes getting kisses, well from me anyway! She gets them every day too! I would stop if she didn't like it, but as it is I can't not kiss that sweet face when she looks at me with those big ol' dober eyes. She's also trained to give them, sweet little licks and sniffles on our chins :)

Maybe I'm reading too much into it from a human perspective but I feel like the level of affection from a doberman is related to the personal protection roots of the breed. Almost as if they love harder and bond stronger, giving them more incentive to be protective of us if a situation ever calls for it.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Toby will cuddle up when he is ready, usually after his last walk at night and he wants to settle down for the evening.
If something is going on outside, he runs over to my side to give me a report then runs back to resume his watching or barking he sometimes comes and sits on my foot and nose pokes me but more often than not he isn't too bothered about being fussed over. He does like it when I give him back up if someone is lurking around (my neighbours think I am a sandwich short of a picnic because I stand and bark with my dogs, lol) and I usually get a running Dober kiss for this as he is charging about the compound.
I often go over to him when he is lazing around and give him a cuddle or kiss and he humphs at me or moans.
First thing in the morning however, after we have said good morning to each other he loves to come and lie down on my bed and lie over my legs and squash me. He always falls into a deep sleep then with me tickling his ears after which he gives me a damn good wash even though he knows I have a shower every morning. Come to think on it even after a shower he gives me a damn good wash so I guess I just don't know how to clean myself up to the exacting standards of a Dobe.

·
U got some splain' to do
244 Posts
Maui is exceptionally sweet to me. She gives me kisses til I can't stand it anymore. Of course she knows I'm going to kissing her face and big nose. I tell her everyday "Maui Lou, mommy loves you". And then she wants to wrestle and box with me. We can't just have a cuddle session without it turning into a wrestling match. Right now she's all about playing. I'm hoping that when she gets older she will calm down some and just sit and be cuddled. She is usually where ever I am laying close by or sitting on my feet.

·
Da Boss
3,492 Posts
Brandy loves to snuggle and be cozy! One of her favorite things is to be snuggled on the couch under lots of blankets, in between mom and dad so she can be touching both of us. I'm always happy when I get the sweet end and not the gassy end! ;)

We also have a little ritual when I get home from work. After I've taken off my shoes and jacket, she runs to the bedroom and jumps up on the bed. Then I get to spend some time "worshiping the belly" and she gives me lots of kisses and love. It's the best thing to come home to!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Howdy,

Wonderful thread, if I say so myself ;) Lasker expects a big hug & pet every morning before I go off to work.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
What timing for this thread. A friend came over yesterday and met the furry faces for the first time. Flirt was a little scary for her at first. She's a dog person and the dogs took advantage of her welcome arms. suddenly I hear her say WHAT IS SHE DOING WHAT IS SHE DOING...Flirt was trying to snuggle her head under the lady's chin :) her favorite way to cuddle

Even with strangers

·
Never Will Forget You
3,288 Posts
Shh, don't tell anyone the secret! We like to keep that fact to ourselves! :)

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
Homer is the biggest old cuddlebug I've ever met. He's not happy unless he's glued to your leg. Take a couple of steps away & he just reattaches himself to you. :D He also likes to press his nose right into your belly so he's almost suffocating himself :rolleyesww: Mostly though he'll stand there with his head in your lap or rest his chin on you & go into a trance like state when you rub his ears :) He also likes to nuzzle into your neck & "whisper" in your ear with a cold wet nose. :D

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hehe, lovely to see all the cuddle bugs :D My boy is so cuddly too, with me and my OH and with guests too. If you're sat on the sofa, he likes to come up and put his head on your knees and then he starts to wag his tail profusely. I love how cuddly he is, especially in the morning he comes and lies between me and the OH with his head on the pillow and snores loudly! :D

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
What a great gap between the REAL doberman and strangers' perception.
They only look and judge dobermans based on their "aloof" attitude. Hehe, the ONLY owners know the truth!! Don't you guys agree?

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Yep! Saph is a cuddler. She loves to lay across my lap in thw recliner with a blanket over her, then she will throw her head back and give me a kiss. She isn't crazy about being hugged but is a kissing w-hore. The one this I hate is after sleep kisses lol they are so nasty and wet. She has a face that could melt you when she stares at you with her ears flat I love grabbing her big snout and laying a kiss on her, she's adorable. This entire thread makes me smile! I love the pictures of Flirt and Gunner-adorable!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts