Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my doberman is 4 months now so is too young for any king of sport yet. But i was wondering what kind of things can i get him doing that is specific for big dogs i.e Personal protection and things like that.

They may not be actualy classed as sports but you get me

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
There really isn't any sport specific to large dogs per say.

Off the top of my head, Schutzhund, agility, flyball, tracking, competitive obedience, weight pulling.

And I always say pick something fairly early so you can mold them into it. There are always things you can be doing to develop them for a chosen sport. Most importantly, have fun! ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you recomenned picking just one sports so that the dog can excell at it? because i was thinking about agility and maybe protection work.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I agree with Millerdobes, make sure you have a solid obedience schedule, and it will make diong any of the sports much better. I would just try whatever you like, and see what he dog enjoys. Unless you plan on seriously competing, it's all about fun, so see what your dog likes.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
Yh we go to a puppy class every saturday so eventualy obedience wont be a problem. Also isnt weight pulling bad for dogs? or is that just when they are grwoing up?
Weight pulling is bad for an immature dog and is the sport for bully breeds. Dobes are not a bully breed.

Get your obedience going now and start an agility foundation class as soon as the local club or trainers will let you in - it is never too early to start. You just don't do the big equipment at full height for quite a while and no full height jumping until growth plates are closed.

Rally is also a good active obedience type activity and you can start titling at 6 mths in AKC.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
My agility class will let them start around 12 months but no full jumps or equipment until 18months. We dont have a puppy class or classes that shape the behavior which are nice or so I hear.

I agree with Rosamburg if you want to do Schutzhund you need to be careful about what you are training in OB. I did so much OB with Kyrah that I had to really work to get her to um...how should I say.... loosen up to do agility.

Some of the things I taught her without knowing it have been useful in agility.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Weight pulling is for any breed just like any sport IMO. Yes some breeds are better at certain sports than others. ;)

Don't think I said to hook your little puppy up to a 2 ton weight either..lol!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Puppy classes are all well and good, except for the fact that if you were to do a sport like Schutzhund, much of what you might be teaching may be counterproductive to building the kind of drive necessary for the sport.
Yes, this is exactly what we were advised when we were thinking of enrolling Jack in puppy obedience classes, and it's the reason we started him in schutzhund so young -- at about three months. Being completely new to the sport at the time, we often agonized over how to find that elusive balance between promoting his drives and moulding a dog we could live with.

Jack is now two, and it has been a wild ride at times, but we're glad we listened and chose the course we did.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So shall i get him to a shutzhund class now or Personnel protection so i can learn what not to teach him if you know what i mean?

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
One thing I have noticed is that many times these guys start doing agility they tend not to want to go back to obedience or rally. They love the controlled freedom that running a course gives them. That course is different every time.

"How you going to keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Paree'". ;)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
So shall i get him to a shutzhund class now or Personnel protection so i can learn what not to teach him if you know what i mean?
I am not sure what is available in your area. Schutzhund in G. Britain is a bit limited but is probably a better choice than PP, especially at his age. You would not do a whole lot with him at that age, maybe start some work with a tug (all prey drive) to motivate him. Any obedience should be completely motivational, with positive rewards. You don't want to introduce corrections for quite some time. You can do a lot of tracking at that point especially since at that tender age they are so food oriented.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah this is tricky now, my trainer said not to play fight or play tug games with im as it teaches him that biting is fun ( Oscar is abit snappy at the moment teething probably).

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Ah this is tricky now, my trainer said not to play fight or play tug games with im as it teaches him that biting is fun ( Oscar is abit snappy at the moment teething probably).
Just my two cents but I might find a new trainer. If you want to do Sch I believe you really want to encourage drive and tugging. Maybe not biting per se. I use tug almost exclusively as a reward in agility with Flirt. It's a fantastic reward for many Dobermans. I have no issues with controlled biting via tug and it also teaches them I can control the game and to out/drop the toy.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Your trainer is a complete ignoramus. Find a new one. All Dobie puppies worth 2 cents are snappy and mouthy at that point. The only time you would not do tug work is if they are actively teething.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your trainer is a complete ignoramus. Find a new one. All Dobie puppies worth 2 cents are snappy and mouthy at that point. The only time you would not do tug work is if they are actively teething.
Maybe thats what he means then, my nearly 4 months old.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts