Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a rescue doberman that we've had for a few years. They don't know his background from his first year of life, he was found near the woods and he was all torn up when they found him. We have a 14 month old son that the dog is fine with, he does growl whenever our son touches him or tries to lay on him, but he just licks him and/or gets up and walks away. What concerns me is when we take him for walks or to the park, he snaps at kids that come near, even if they are calm and moving slow, not being loud, etc. He also freaks out when he sees other dogs. Is this something that can be trained out of him or should we give him up for the safety of our son and others?

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Have you contacted the rescue you got him from about his behaviors? Sometimes they have access to different professional resources that can help you. Please don't allow your son to try and lay on the dog. I'm sure it's difficult with a baby but the little one should also be supervised 100% of the time around the dog so no possible bites can occur. I would not want the growling to continue and would have gotten help at the first sign of it. It sounds like you have multiple issues to work with here and I agree with sam, this is not something that people on the internet can help you out with since we are not there to see the dog in person.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I completely second everything that has been said and I want to have this part especially be repeated.

Please don't allow your son to try and lay on the dog. I'm sure it's difficult with a baby but the little one should also be supervised 100% of the time around the dog so no possible bites can occur.

·
Super Moderator
21,878 Posts
You need a professional. The dog's growling is a warning that he is uncomfortable. Just because he hasn't yet escalated does not mean that he won't, especially since it seems that the behavior of the child that is causing the dog to be uncomfortable is continuing.

I highly recommend using the link provided by sam&macksmom to find a qualified behaviorist.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts