Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Stace :)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i was wondering if anyone knew about dobrman shedding alot ?? i have a female black and tan dobe who is 2 years old i got her from a guy selling her cheap from a rough area near my home town the vet has told me she is a full doberman but she has a slight wave in her coat ? :confused: i have no papers wit her and she was the smallest pup of the litter and i was wondering would that be why her coat isn't as sleek as it should be ? she has all te proper markings of a doberman and she is such a brilliant dog.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
What are you feeding her? A higher quality food, esp a fish-based one, will help with her coat.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi i am feeding her my local pet store brand of dog meal is is just dry nuts as i am unemployed and at colege i cant afford to feed her the really expensive stuff, i would give her tinned sardiens once a week but i was told this is ba if you feed to much ? :confused:. i used to give her a raw egg and feed her the natural raw diet aswell but i just wondered what would be best to feed her if i can't give her the proper expensive food :( ? she also gets co liver oil in her meal every day but i dont notice much of a difference, i love her to bits and just wat the best for my dobe as she is one of the baby's i our houshold :).

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,451 Posts
I'm not sure what brands and types of dog food are available over there--I hope some of our overseas folks will chime in with advice for you.

You might get more answers to your questions if you start a new thread about your particular problem instead of tacking your question onto an old thread last active in 2009.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi everyone i was wondering if anyone on here knew about doberman shedding alot ?? i have a female black and tan dobe who is now 2 years old. i have had her since she was 8 weeks old and i got her from a guy selling her cheap near my home town. the area she came from wasn't the best place about lets just say i rescued my poor wee woman. well anyway she has no papers but the vet has told me she is a full doberman but she has a slight wave in her coat ? is this normal ? she also has a little white spot on her chest but all of her other doberman markings are there. She was the smallet pup out of the litter and i was wondering would that be why her coat isn't as sleek as it should be or as tight to her body ?? :rolleyesww:

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
What are you feeding her? Usually a higher quality food will help with coat issues.
Also, do you groom her at all? A weekly brushing/curry will get all the dead hair out of my boy's coat.

·
Got mutt?
13,840 Posts
Have you had her thyroid levels checked? Excessive shedding and poor coat is one of the signs of low thyroid.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I wonder if she has Rottweiler in her since her coat waves. Hard to say.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I would definitely say diet can be a big contributory factor to shedding. What's he on at the mo?

Orijen and Arcana reduced my boys shedding significantly.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
MissDoberman2, I've moved the posts from the other thread about grooming where you asked the identical question. Please avoid having multiple threads that are identical questions in the future.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone thanks for replying to my posts. i feed both of my doberman on a dry meal from Pets at home it is their own brand of dog food and its a 15kg bag for £11.29 , as i am currently out of a job i can only afford to feed them on this but could stretch my budget to £20 every two weeks to feed them both but i cant find a good brand of dog food over here. I'm wondering is there anything i could add to her meal to make it better for her coat ?

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Better food would be the key. But for supplements, you want the fish (body) oil, not the cod liver oil. If you can, find one with some Vitamin E in it, doesn't need to be a ton, or get separate Vitamin E capsules and feed a couple times per week. Egg is good, but probably more expensive on the whole to feed that on a regular basis than the fish oil.

I don't want to be a downer, but am not sure why you have a 9 month old pup when you can't afford to feed the one dog a better quality food. Do you have a credit card to help you with vet bills in case something happens?

Best of luck in your studies and finding something that works for your lady.

·
Registered
826 Posts
what brands do you have and we could tell you the best for your budget.. I echo beans post what the heck would you do in case of an emergency? my dobes shed a lot...every dog sheds and my dobermans are healthy with healthy skin, coat and insides but like all dogs they shed..how much would you say they shed? is it worse in different seasons? 2x tins of sardines can replace a meal, are dirt cheap and they help.. do you have photos of your dogs? are they happy normally or do they scratch and gnaw at there coat/paws etc? please give us some more information to try and help you. Your girl sounds like she game from a back yard breeder (someone with no standards/morals (there are other threads on this) ) this could definitely contribute to the fact her coat is not as it should be.. again if you posted pics this would help.

·
Registered
667 Posts
We have noticed that Rush is shedding more since we switched his Nutro large puppy food to Wellness no grain. Always open for suggestions on better brand of kibble for him. Thankfully money isn't an issue.

·
Super Moderator
15,548 Posts
Maybe if you posted a photo it would help us with our responses. If you think she may be mixed with something that could be your answer, especially if it's there's a breed in the mix that sheds seasonally. Dobermans do shed quite a bit though and many people don't know that. At least dobe hair is not the kind that sticks to everything!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts